• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime North 2010 - Funimation Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Utena wasn't liscensed by Geneon.

As I was typing it, I was wondering if some of the ones weren't. Embarassed I just happened to glance upon the Geneon USA page, and Utena was listed on there. I didn't do any further checking on whether it was actually a license or just that the company was involved. Thanks for the update.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outlaw55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Funimation probably lost a lot of money having to do the mandatory theatrical releases, I'm just wondering if they are holding out to avoid having to do that again, causing the licensing negotiations to take longer this time. If all else fails, the official Hong Kong release of the Blu-ray is Region A and has English subs...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:

I've heard some where that Geneon's license on Hellsing 1-4 where going to expire later this year. Maybe they'll get an offer for episode 5 if they get 1-4.

So that means that when the license expires, Geneon Universal can shop the new BD versions of 1-4 and 5 onwards around.

Makes you wonder if Black Lagoon, Fate/stay night, Shana and Higurashi don't have similar deadlines.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
It's unbelievable to me that they'd dive right on stuff like Dance in the Vampire Bund but for House of Five Leaves we're stuck with the wait and see approach.

Aw, come on, dude, you're not some wet-behind-the-ears noob. Does it REALLY shock you that Funi would move quick on a title like Dance in the Vampire Bund, but not so much with a super-niche title like Five Leaves?

There have been twenty Noitamina shows; of them, only these have been released on DVDs in R1.

Honey and Clover
Paradise Kiss
Jyu Oh-Sei
Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales

All of these aired in 2005-2006. Since then

Antique Bakery (Nozomi has the rights but hasn't released it.)
Eden of the East (coming soon)

That's it. No Moyashimon, Nodame, Hataraki Man, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, etc., etc.

I'm guessing that neither of the current series will ever make it to DVD either. They haven't been ratings winners either in Japan or in R1 streaming. Noitamina usually scores some of the highest viewership figures for late-night anime, but both current shows have mediocre ratings at best.

Unlike Blood-, I've been quite impressed by House of Five Leaves. It has an excellent script and some terrific seiyuu performances. But then I like shows that are heavy on mood and dialogue and not so heavy on action.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Geneon license rescues?

Oh please please PLEASE let one be at least one of the following:

Cardcaptor Sakura
That's the one I'm hoping for. I really want to see this re-licensed and re-dubbed. I'd be a happy fangirl in that moment. Anime hyper
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
but is there anything about it that screams, "sure fire commercial success!"?

Definitely, if they release it subtitle only on Video on Demand with a royalty-only license! At a moderate price point! Surefire.

That is, as long as the break-even is right about 100 or so.

Need 1,000 sales to break even, and you'd get a bit nervous about that one, lovely as it is as a vehicle for selling 5 Hour Energy!!! drink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2