• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Persona -trinity soul- Episodes 1-7 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

On the other hand it does come in a really nice box.

Wow, that is quite nice. Not a fan of Persona (game or this anime), but I hope that the first set of Toradora is just as nice packaging-wise.
Sima Yi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Everyone whom I know who has seen this has pretty much told me it's a giant cauldron of bubbling liquid shit. I don't know why NISA chose this as one of the titles to introduce them to the industry. Maybe A-1 Pictures was giving the licence away or something? Rolling Eyes

That box set looks gorgeous though.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
This waste of time got taken out of Continuity for Persona 4 and thank god for that.

Blody thing couldn't decide if Personas acted like Stands, GFs or what the hell and also had in inconstant as all hell rule set for them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I need to put my opinion into this one since I've been a fan of Persona since the American release of the first game.

This anime...I kind of gave up on it around Episode 15. For one thing, the show is literally too dark. I can barely see the Persona or what they're doing when summoned (since some genius writer at the studio decided that all the battles should be done at night). Second, I've been trying to link this show to the game in whatever way I can think of. Other than Igor and Akihiko, I can't find any. I did squeal like a fanboi when Igor appeared (because really, what Persona would be complete without him?) and since I know Aki's seiyuu is Hikaru Midorikawa, I recognized his voice on the phone. Third, I really have to ask: where are these guys going with this story? Whale feathers? Younger brother with weird background development? Huh?

I have to wonder what companies think when they try to make an anime loosely based on a game. Do they think they can get away with steering a story around like this?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
My bet is they tried to go "Ok, we did this twice already for the two Devil Children games, but this time, let's not adapt the story of Persona 3 (Which, given the Rougelike nature of Tartrus, might have been a good call but a good studio would know how to write around that) but try to tak on some nonsene onto it instead.

And thus we have here, Squall Squall's Bizzare Adventure VIII Tensei.

Or something.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
This show is a steaming pile of... poo. I can say that because I watched through the whole thing, out of morbid curiosity rather than anything else. It doesn't need to be compared to Persona (3) as it fails all on its own. In fact it shouldn't as it is a tenuous connection.

Even as game-to-anime quick cash-ins go, this is one of the worst I've seen, if not the worst (disclaimer: I haven't seen FF:U).
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
Even as game-to-anime quick cash-ins go, this is one of the worst I've seen, if not the worst (disclaimer: I haven't seen FF:U).
FF:U at teh very least has Chobi (the chocobo) to it's name. This can't even reach the heights (such as they are) Of FF:U
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
MrBeefy486 wrote:
Imagine me saying “I just saw the 3rd episode of Lost and I can officially say it’s terrible because it doesn’t explain anything and has a bunch of stupid cliffhangers…bawww…bawww..baaaawwwww!”

...I can honestly say I've never seen someone bawl phonetically... AWESOMENESS. *__*

*cough* Pointless segueway aside, I actually had a valid comment to make. Since you specifically mention the adaptation, I will make a point of going to check this title out. Too often, we forget how important the adaptation of a work is. Great titles like "Hikaru no Go" have been rendered bargain bin garbage due to a lousy adaptation in the past, and so-so original works like the "Maid Sama!" manga become awesome because of competent, witty adaptations. I've never seen/read anything by NISA, so thanks for the heads-up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Huh? Hikaru no Go was quite masterfully done. Very inline with the manga source. It didn't do well (in the States) because nobody wants to buy 18 single DVDs with 4 episodes each. Had they released 3 box sets with 25 episodes each it would have fared quite well I bet.
catanaition

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on this show when I got to the end of episode 7 and realised that I could barely remember the characters names (only the eldest and younger brothers names at that... I couldn't even name the main character) and had no idea what the story was supposed to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2