• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FMA: B Ends July 4; Sengoku Basara 2 Starts July 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Noooo how gay.

Noooo how offensive! Seriously, I know the fangirls went crazy over the first anime, but how is FMA gay? It's not BL. So don't use the term to mean "bad" or "lame." It's insulting to anyone who is gay. And besides, it makes you sound like an immature teenager, which I assume you are not.

I don't believe the poster was calling FMA "gay" but was expressing their disappointment that Adult Swim was taking a break after 20 or so episodes.
loka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
haha can you tell that the kids are out of school yet?

On topic -- the comedy in the manga did not translate well to anime. Also, the first episodes of the original series were interesting and drew fans in, while the first episodes to brotherhood were god awful and conveyed that it was some mediocre monster / superhero show.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Wow are you really serious? You find the term gay insulting? Kids have been saying that for decades. Who gives you the right to say what is right and wrong especially to a group of people. You have no right to say all gay people find that offensive by any means!

Using the word "gay" to mean "bad" or "lame" is insulting, and I think vashfanatic has every right to be offended. It's just as bad as saying you've been "jewed" or "gypped" when you mean "ripped off." The fact that you have gay friends that are okay with it is completely irrelevant; that's like thinking since rappers use the N-word, it's okay for any white person to call a black person that. Try it some time, let me know how that goes...

Back on topic, I think it's really cool that they could time the FMA anime and manga to end so close together like that. Here's hoping the end is satisfying. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Wow are you really serious? You find the term gay insulting? Kids have been saying that for decades. Who gives you the right to say what is right and wrong especially to a group of people. You have no right to say all gay people find that offensive by any means!

Yes, yes I am serious. I know kids have been using it for ages; I hated it in high school, and I hate it now. If you said that something was "so Jewish" or what have you to mean that something was lame, I'd be pissed too. It's rude to an entire group of people to insinuate that they are synonymous with something being bad.

Quote:
It's people like this who want to censor us and say it offensive to everyone when it really just offends them. Stop trying to act like you know what your talking about because you don't. I know many gay people personally and have never had a problem using that word like that EVER. I know gay people who actually have used it in a negative way as well. So just stop making up lies and spreading it as truth.

See jgreen's answer on the "n-word" rule. I'm not making up lies, and I am not "censoring" you; that would require me having the power to actually alter your comments, which I don't have. I am chastising you for being insensitive. I've known many gay people as well, and I've seen them cringe when someone uses the term this way, so don't try using the "gay friend" card.

And back on topic...
So is the most recent chapter in Japan the latest? I stopped reading them a few months back because the scanlations were just getting awful, translation gaffs and bad typesetting, I'd much rather wait at this point.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to miss Fullmetal Alchemist when it's all over, manga and Brotherhood. Hiromu Arakawa created a great world. But, I'll be collecting it all, so I can go over it again at my leisure. I'll probably rewatch the first TV series, as well, having that in my collection already.

Maybe Arakawa will write a new original story sometime later in the manga canon that can be turned into a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

See jgreen's answer on the "n-word" rule.

The "n-word" is an inherently offensive, hateful slur historically used to insult black people. The word "gay" is a descriptor which has never been considered offensive on its own. They are not the same thing. One is offensive in any context, the other is not.

I'm not saying it's in good taste to use "gay" in that way, but acting like you have the right to tell people how to talk is just going to make them resent you. Homosexuals face enough discrimination without coming off as humorless killjoys on top of it. Words don't fall out of use because people stage internet campaigns against them, it happens naturally and slowly over time. If you try to force the process, all you're going to get is a backlash.

Oh, and neither of you is an appointed spokesman for the gay community so let's stop with the "I know lots of gay people and they would agree with me" thing.

On the subject of FMA, I'm really impressed that the anime and manga are going to be delivering the same ending at roughly the same time. Has that ever happened before? Considering how long it takes to produce an episode, Arakawa must have had the ending written out far in advance. She's a real pro.

Last edited by Wyvern on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow what a day to end
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Oh, and neither of you is an appointed spokesman for the gay community so let's stop with the "I know lots of gay people and they would agree with me" thing.

Oh hell yeah, my only point in bringing it up is that it's a stupid argument. But I won't push the issue anymore here, it's just been a big peeve of mine for years.

As for the ending being planned way in advance, well yeah. The latest chapters just have everything coming together awesomely, I hope the ending is as great as the rest of the series has been up until this point. *sigh* Why does it take Viz so long between volumes of this? I know, I know, translation is a long process, but six months between them at this point is torture!
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
All I heard was Sengoku Basara 2 starts July 11 yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuh!!!!

And there's nothing gay about FMA, actually there's some serious homo-bait in Sengoku Basara, even without fangirl doujin twisting. No hate, it still rocks.

For clarification I know no one said either one was gay, but you all needed to know that, don't act like you didn't. Liars.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
FMA Crying or Very sad
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
FMA Crying or Very sad

I know. I'll be crying my eyes out when it ends Crying or Very sad
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
Really excited to see the last few chapters animated. It seems like so much material to cover in 4 episodes, but I'm sure it will work out fine. From what I've heard, the last chapter should be pretty exciting.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm very Impressed with the animation. I wish so many shows had this quality of animation. Sadly very few shows have the popularity of FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
From what I have seen of the last chapter it is as powerful, and as moving as you would expect the finale of this series to be. Though obviously I need to find a translation to understand what Ed actually did.

Brotherhood may have started off rough but by the time it got to the new material it really started to eclipse the first series. It was great to see that they knew that Bradley was the coolest fighter so they made sure everytime he took the scene it was beautiful. Fullmetal Alchemist can not be replaced, and it will be missed.
At the rate they air airing on Adult Swim it should probably finish this winter or next spring.

So longer wait for me lol

AS confirmed that they are airing up to the late 20s, and then taking a break. So it will probably be quite a while before they finish; Funimation is streaming the episodes though! Smile

What? Why the heck would they do that?!? Somehow I doubt they would do that, since Vic Mignogna and Travis Willingham mentioned that they are dubbing well into the 30s. So I seriously doubt Brotherhood is going to take a break. I don't think they've bought the second half of the series yet (and it would go through 32 if it was the first half), but there's no reason to believe Brotherhood is going to take a break, especially after doing that with the original series killed its momentum and its ratings.

In other news, looks like both the Americans AND the Japanese are gonna be seeing some fireworks on the 4th of July this year! Very Happy
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
FMA IS ENDING? NOOOOOO!!!!
I hope Viz will speed up the release at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2