• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S., Japanese Publishers Unite Against Manga Scan Sites

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is, good luck with fighting those windmills. Get real people, USA has been trying to get rid of comic book scans for ages, and has indeed taken legal actions. Can I sill find any comic I want with minimal effort? Yes. Are you telling me the manga industry is going to fare any better?
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Good for them!
I never use the things, and always buy manga I enjoy outright to avoid any more book companies from closing. Being a writer myself, I feel quite relieved that someone is finally taking action against such sites. There are many alternatives to reading scans.

There are several english websites that sell un-translated manga directly from Japan.

Several series that have not been released here, can also be ordered from other countries with licensing rights.....such as Australia or Europe.

Plus, more websites (such as Tokyopop) have programs set up so you can read segments of your favorite manga before you purchase them.

If I've learned anything in my years of being an Otaku, it's that patience is a virtue!
Any manga worth having, is also worth waiting for!
Very Happy

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Someone told me a lot about this a few weeks ago. I was hoping we could get a printable exclusive before the public announcement.

This is definitely geared, first and foremost, towards the big commercial piracy operations like OneManga. I think a lot of scanlators would even applaud if OneManga was shut down.

I think this is half the solution that publishers need to institute. They need to address the ease of obtaining scans online. Obviously the scans will always be available, but making them harder to find is a huge step forward.

Especially if it is combined with the other half of the solution: making titles available online in a legitimate, legal format.

Worth noting, I hope small scanlators don't get caught in the crossfire. Its great that their purpose will be to go after OneManga, but I worry that over-zealous staff might end up also targeting the scanlators. Obviously they'd be within their legal right, but it would be unfortunate, and not particularly beneficial in most cases.

-t
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:

There are several english websites that sell un-translated manga directly from Japan.

And that would be useful how?
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic! Very Happy Finally, publishers are pooling their resources and stepping up to the plate!

I love manga and it kills me to see it slowly dying here in the states. =/ EDIT: It be even better if they manage to rope some cooperation of Google on this. I bet if Google was more careful about who used their Ad-sense, the size of these illegal websites wouldn't half as big.

Last edited by FeralKat on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
This is fantastic! Very Happy Finally, publishers are pooling their resources and stepping up to the plate!

I love manga and it kills me to see it slowly dying here in the states. =/

But unless a legal service is put in their place this really isn't going to help. Sorry to say.

The "pirates" who couldn't care less about supporting the industry will just find other ways. As they always will. They always will find some excuse to hate on licensed manga releases.
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
To DmonHiro:

You'd be quite surprised! A majority (of my friends at least) have taken at least three (if not more) years of Japanese.
A lot of people I know can almost speak the language fluently because of their love of anime, so reading such books would not be a problem for them.

Last edited by Jozoiscute on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:
Brack wrote:
Graddick wrote:
When had bringing the hammer down on file sharing sites ever worked? Members scatter then regroup with even less willingness to start purchasing what they are distributing.

I guess that if you can't make a product people want to buy, it must always be someone else's fault.

Are the scanlation aggregators really file sharing sites though? If people were just sharing their scanlations via file sharing software I doubt that so many people would be reading them. They've crossed whatever fuzzy line there is between file sharing and out and out illegal hosting.

The distinction that's been drawn between the two is largely a matter of splitting hairs. Both are sites where you go to get free entertainment. I only used the term "file sharing" because the article doesn't say that they are distinguishing between sites that host manga itself and sites that connect users with torrents or DDL links.

But the legal distinction is that with illegal hosting, the illegal behavior is on the server side, unless the reader downloads and stores the images. For torrent downloads, all participants except pure leech torrent downloaders are engaged in illegal activity. Its easier to get one site engaged in 50 million illegal acts than 10 million people each engaged in 5 illegal acts.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Jozoiscute wrote:

If you love Japanese entertainment so much that you need everything Japan has WHEN they have it, you could... You know.... Learn Japanese. What a crazy thought, I know!

But I know you'll use every excuse you can to continue consuming manga/anime/etc. illegally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
FeralKat wrote:

But unless a legal service is put in their place this really isn't going to help. Sorry to say.

The "pirates" who couldn't care less about supporting the industry will just find other ways. As they always will. They always will find some excuse to hate on licensed manga releases.

The majority of the readers on MangaFox/OneManga are technology-dumb teenagers. If they can't access it easily, I bet they'd turn to more legitimate sources. I'm well aware that pirates are always going to find a way, but that's no reason to not try and protect what's yours.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
To DmonHiro:
You'd be quite surprised! A majority (of my friends at least) have taken at least three (if not more) years of Japanese.
A lot of people I know can almost speak the language fluently because of their love of anime, so reading such books would not be a problem for them.

Agreed, I have also taken Japanese lessons thanks to anime, but I don't think the majority has done so as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Jozoiscute wrote:
To DmonHiro:

That is surprising, but unfortunately completely irrelevant to this issue.
claudia92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I think publishers should put the translated mangas and put them more quickly.

If a bunch of teenagers kid can make a high quality translation in a few days, why cant a big publisher can do this? I do think its possible, they just have to commite to that.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
The question is, will this just be aimed at the aggregators or will they also try and cut off some of the more popular scanlations at the source?

Its not just scanlations, of course, its also pure rip-scans of English publications and rips of legal online content as well. Aggregators that have ethical boundaries that they will not cross do not rise up the rankings.

Without enforcement, unethical behavior crowds out ethical behavior ... groups that hold to the strictest "don't translate titles that are licensed or likely to be" policy provide material that is added to all the rest by the aggregator site.

And of course the "aggregator site" is just a pretense for the biggest sites - of course they upload content to sites that the "only aggregate from" in order to ensure access to continuous series are available at their sites.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Jozoiscute wrote:

If you love Japanese entertainment so much that you need everything Japan has WHEN they have it, you could... You know.... Learn Japanese. What a crazy thought, I know!

But I know you'll use every excuse you can to continue consuming manga/anime/etc. illegally.

It's no excuse. I do not want to consume any of them illegally.

But the fact of the matter is that I don't want to learn the language of a country I'm really not interested in for one little medium of their entertainment. Unlike a lot of other anime/manga fans, I have little to no interest in Japan. I just like anime/manga.

I would be willing to import the raw manga, but I'm not going to learn the language. I'd just buy them to support them. I'd still want to count on scanlations to have the ability to read what it's saying. Is that so wrong?

That's actually how crazy I am. I don't make excuses not to support releases. I know that many of the people who read those sites wouldn't be so noble, but that's that.

FeralKat wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
FeralKat wrote:

The majority of the readers on MangaFox/OneManga are technology-dumb teenagers. If they can't access it easily, I bet they'd turn to more legitimate sources. I'm well aware that pirates are always going to find a way, but that's no reason to not try and protect what's yours.

I doubt they will. They'll just turn around and not read the series in any way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 43