• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Night Head Kobato.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I have a question about Kobato.
People say that the manga is different from the anime, so I ask out of curiosity.

Is Kobato such a brainless klutz in the manga like in the anime? Does she develop and stop being a brainless klutz in the manga?

If she does change I may reconsider reading the manga.

Having seen both, I felt like the anime over emphasized Kobato's clumsiness and airheadedness. It really feels like she has become a bit more mature in the later chapters and that the series is using the running gags a bit less.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
While I don't quite agree with the Kobato bashing..
As much as I love Kobato, You have to admit, those bottle chapters of Volume 1 is pretty formulaic and (dare I say...) boring

Volume 2 I think is when the formula stops and it goes back to telling a story.

like, the last chapter of vol. 1 was the 1st chapter CLAMP even published of the series. then issues arose and then they got stuck with just doing about 7 pages in Newtype, so they went back and did these cutesy origin stories about Kobato learning about the meaning of Christmas or whatever. I'm assuming to hook their readers with "look how moe she is! you guys like that stuff right?! buy it!"

But I dunno, its fine if you don't like it, I understand why. I just think people should read the 2nd volume before making a final judgement.

But I like pretty much all of CLAMP (except Tsubasa......and the morals of Chobits) so maybe I'm just biased?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It seems as though there's a lot of people who are concern about the Kobato review.

Can anyone tell me what it's about?

Personally, as a Clamp fan, there is only one manga they made that I really didn't understand.
It's called Duklton. I found it a bit confusing at the end.

As for the whole biased reviewer thing, that's something I'm not surprised at.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
My favorite would be CCS followed by Duklyon, but I see very few fans ref Duklyon.

Wait, you mean I'm not the only Duklyon fan out there?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
I actually like Kobato... it's not the best CLAMP manga ever, but it's still good. Tsubasa was Shonen; Kobato is Shoujo... they're not even meant to be similar. Read CLAMP's Wish and Kobato will make a tad more sense... (not much, but they're connected...in CLAMP's twisted little way).

CLAMP is confusing, but that is what makes the overall stories interesting..and means you have to read everything to understand what's going on... That's why the end of 'Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles' confuses me...I skipped a few chapters...

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
It seems as though there's a lot of people who are concern about the Kobato review.

Can anyone tell me what it's about?

Personally, as a Clamp fan, there is only one manga they made that I really didn't understand.
It's called Duklton. I found it a bit confusing at the end.

As for the whole biased reviewer thing, that's something I'm not surprised at.

Kobato is pretty much about a girl, clueless about everything (mysteriously, for now), and she wants her wish granted. She earns a bottle and is given a mission to collect fragments she earns from healing people's "scarred hearts"... She ends up working at a nursery school for free while she is doing this.. and obviously likes the guy that works there, but considering she's clueless about life, she doesn't really understand much...
...You kinda get thrown on a trip as Kobato learns about life as she fulfills her mission so she can get her wish... In the manga, we still don't know what it is.... I think, I haven't read it in a while.
...Kobato is connected to Wish somehow; cameo included.
...I have no idea what Iorogi's problem is...he's just the plushy sidekick that has a temper... ^^

Kobato is a work along the same lines as Wish, Suki, and The One I Love... Maybe similar to Angelic Layer with the here is plot X and bam, the rest of it, the end...
...the Anime is different...

As for Duklyon, it still confuses me a bit, so I can't help you there.. Anime hyper

Personally my favorite CLAMP manga is Tokyo Babylon; next would be Magic Knight Rayearth..and then Clover...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
Quote:
Kobato is pretty much about a girl, clueless about everything (mysteriously, for now), and she wants her wish granted. She earns a bottle and is given a mission to collect fragments she earns from healing people's "scarred hearts"... She ends up working at a nursery school for free while she is doing this..

Thanks for the info!! It does sound similar to Wish, which i liked, and Cardcaptors so maybe i'll watch/read it.

Clamp Defenders was confusing but kept me entertained ^^
+Tokyo Babylon, X, Tsubasa, Xxxholic, Clover and Angelic Layer are my all time favs!!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Wait, you mean I'm not the only Duklyon fan out there?

Yeah! Another one!

For those confused, Duklyon is connected to the Clamp School title which is connected to the Many Faces title. It's a spoof through & through, rivaling Miyuki-chan for throwing any pretense of conventional plot to the wind. The 2 Clamp School Defenders (in the Power Rangers transforming team mode) are under a gal who takes her orders from a blond in shades who bears a strong resemblance to a certain Clamp School president of the council. I believe by the end of the first volume the Defenders plot has been hijacked by the romance between their boss & their recurring villain (a space prince!). The boys even threaten to write a nasty letter to the CLAMP gals protesting their demoted status. I love it.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You aren't the only ones who like Duklyon; that was one of my favorite series! I wanted more than 2 volumes, but also didn't want it to get tired.

I like the Shoujo works of Clamp too. I'm curious as how the Kobato series has a connection to Wish. That manga wasn't a bad little series.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Shirogane wrote:
You aren't the only ones who like Duklyon; that was one of my favorite series! I wanted more than 2 volumes, but also didn't want it to get tired.

I would read it, too, even though it isn't my favorite CLAMP work; it was still enjoyable even through my confusion. ^^

Quote:
I like the Shoujo works of Clamp too. I'm curious as how the Kobato series has a connection to Wish. That manga wasn't a bad little series.

I know Kohaku makes cameo; made me very happy to see Kohaku again. I don't know if -she- will play any other part than cameo in Kobato's little story.

And I'm personally happy to see CLAMP back to their old ways. As much as I love Tsubasa RC, it was a trip that a bit 'plain' to my taste compared to the in depth psycho drama I was introduced with (*cough* CLAMP needs to finish X *cough* ..I bet Fuuma's arms are tired by now...lol).
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
The thing about the first volume of Kobato. is, it's not the first volume written. Volume 2 was the first one that came out, then they went back and did Volume 1, which might explain why Volume 1 is kind of... different? from the rest of the series.

Oh, is that why Yen Press released vols 1 & 2 together? I thought that the release schedule was rather odd.

Yeah, Kobato is rather sugary sweet and is cute in small doses. I read 1 & 2 back to back and it was a bit much. I'm still going to continue the series since who doesn't love Ioryogi? I guess I'm a sucker for CLAMP's cute little animals - Mokona included.

As for the Godchild review:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Cain Saga is not hideous or crude in the art at all. Kaori Yuki just had a much lighter hand at the time, so the line thickness isn't that solid, and her backgrounds are practically non-existent (a habit which continues in God Child), but it's far from deserving of a "crude or hideous" label. It's on par with just about any other shoujo manga art style from the early to mid-90s (more manga fans should actually read some older titles every once in a while), and it does the series a disservice to suggest otherwise.

I think Littlegreenwolf explained this rather well. The artwork wasn't crude but eariler. The only mistake I see with it was that Viz released Cain after Godchild's release so fans weren't expecting the vastly different art styles. That and I rather liked Cain in both style and substance over Godchild myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2