• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Makes Crackdown 2/Riot Act 2 Game-Based Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
How weird. My brother bought this game a few days ago and I've been playing it a bit. Seems pretty crappy, but it lets me jump high along buildings so I'm cool with it! Can't believe it's getting this kind of promotion though.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
It may seem crappy to you, but to a lot of people, it's just what they wanted. That's the only reason it took so long for them to make the sequel. The first one pulled a Family Guy/Futurama... it bombed on initial sales cause people only wanted it for the Halo 3 MP Beta, but then others like myself picked it up when the price was slashed and found it thoroughly enjoyable. And we made enough sales on it and enough of an outcry that Microsoft optioned a sequel for us. There isn't much to the game besides blowing stuff up, so if you're looking for anything besides mindless destruction, yeah, it'll seem crappy. I, for one, can't wait for it to come out in 4 weeks.

"Would you like to blow it up with me?"
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Crackdown was fun because you could jump over buildings and punch cars. I'm hoping the sequel raises the insanity levels and doesn't try to bog down the game with "substance".
Maciste

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
"How much is the fish?", concerning XBoxlive.

I'd cream my pants if they were to release it for free!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
OMG, are we now seeing more western franchises getting anime adaptation and tie-in? This is crazy. We now got Thundercats anime from WB, Funimation/Bioware Dragon Age anime, Supernatural anime, and now a Crackdown 2 anime. Looks like we're seeing a new trend in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
I don't have anything against Crackdown, it's a pretty decent game, but it's about the last thing to get some sort of anime tie-in that I would expect.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Crackdown was a cool game in its own right. It gives you the park to play in, and is insane fun once you open up to it.

The day may come when most games have their own animated series attached. It can allow developers to use material that ends up on the editing room floor, or spread ther wings a bit more. Very good to see series being done, tha just a one shot OAV.

Again, good pay day for anime studios. Because they know that they can make more money, by getting in bed with the games industry, this trend will continue. Not at all a bad thing.

Crackdown 2 is on my July buy list.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gratch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
OMG, are we now seeing more western franchises getting anime adaptation and tie-in? This is crazy. We now got Thundercats anime from WB, Funimation/Bioware Dragon Age anime, Supernatural anime, and now a Crackdown 2 anime. Looks like we're seeing a new trend in anime.

Except Thundercats isn't going to be anime. It's just animated in Japan, a lot of US cartoons were animated there.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Gratch wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Except Thundercats isn't going to be anime. It's just animated in Japan, a lot of US cartoons were animated there.

Hold on, WB did confirm Thundercats will be their "anime project". We have to wait to see who's the director for the new Thundercats project is. If it's a famous anime director doing Thundercats, then I'll considered Thundercats as anime. I recalled Litte Nemo has been reclassified as anime because of it Japanese-US co-production. Little Nemo came out in Japan first, then it came out in USA few years later. I would also consider Mighty Orbots and Bionic Six as anime because it was directed by a famous anime director, Osamu Dezaki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
What a surprise. "Something Yoshimatsu" (nickname of character designer Takahiro Yoshimatsu) is directing a video game anime. I guess he's trying to get directorial gig. He likes video games and gadgets like other geeks out there, so it's kind of natural thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1