• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alive Manga Writer Tadashi Kawashima Passes Away

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tailor31415

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's really dedication!! It's touching that he would complete the story even through pain and suffering. Can't wait to read the conclusion for which he worked so hard!! Also, wondering if the new series will be published.
holy_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Oh he's good mangaka!
I love Alive

Please rest in heaven.. Crying or Very sad
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, I really have new-found respect for both him and Alive. The fact that he continued to work on his series - and managed to complete it - on his deathbed really brings tears to my eyes.

I only read a volume and a half or so of it, but I'm definitely going to try catching up with Del Rey's release (even though I heard they dropped it before even reaching the half-way mark Sad ).
kewldude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's some dedication and passion for your work. Hats off to him and my condolences.
naruto646806

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Somebody that is trying to write Manga for people to enjoy and make a living off it then passes away because of cancer, so stupid for somebody to die like that. R.I.P Tadashi Kawashima, You'll be missed.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
That really is something. It had to be some consolation that he could put to bed something he had worked on so hard for so long. What a great story.

Jaymie wrote:
Del Rey's release (even though I heard they dropped it before even reaching the half-way mark Sad ).

Yeah, looks like they only got up to Vol. 8 out of 21 total. Bummer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Guess the ending's rushed, literally. RIP.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
That really is something. It had to be some consolation that he could put to bed something he had worked on so hard for so long. What a great story.

Jaymie wrote:
Del Rey's release (even though I heard they dropped it before even reaching the half-way mark Sad ).

Yeah, looks like they only got up to Vol. 8 out of 21 total. Bummer

That's really shameful. They could at least finish off the series with four omnibus editions instead of leaving us hanging like that. I don't want to resort to scanlations, but it would really be nice to see Kawashima's final works.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
As was stated, that is some serious dedication. Though I know nothing of "Alive" and it's author, I am nonetheless inspired by the dedication and love for his line of work. It has motivated to keep pursuing mine. May he Rest In Peace.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
tailor31415 wrote:
Wow, that's really dedication!! It's touching that he would complete the story even through pain and suffering. Can't wait to read the conclusion for which he worked so hard!! Also, wondering if the new series will be published.

Yes, that truly is dedication.
Not to take away from the pain and suffering of liver cancer though, I suspect the work was therapeutic for him; it gave him something to stave off the tedium of the four walls of his room and an outlet to focus on his energies into something more useful than just dwelling on his condition.

That he'd started work on a new series to me showed he wasn't just fighting to the finish--he was going to keep living to the end. Given what Alive is about, he was practicing what he preached.

Well done, Kawashima-san.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
One can only view this with eerie admiration. To read that a man put what would be his mortal efforts into completing his masterwork gives one a sense of awe. The hope remains that readers of this series will find the finale, and hence the story as a whole, to do justice to the dedication of its author.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's incredible. My deepest sympathy to Kawashima's family. R.I.P. You did great.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
That is f**ked up. Way too young. R.I.P., man.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
RIP Tadashi Kawashima your dedication and passion for your work is an inspiration to us all.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm amazed that he not only finished Alive but started a new manga on his deathbed. Never read Alive but I think I'll try it now after seeing how much dedication he had for it, RIP Tadashi Kawashima.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3