• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Man Arrested for Uploading Anime via Perfect Dark

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow... kind of crazy to see this happening on the other side of the fence.

When I was working in the Tokyo area a lot of places had notes attached to the computers warning about using Winny and how it was a virus factory. I just kept wondering why they didn't yank the install-rights from users...
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't understimate the power of the Japanese intelligence, dudes!
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Serves him right. ONE THOUSAND FILES? I hope they lock him up and throw away the key.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
...are we still doing this? Jeez, I though by now people would have realized that these uploaders getting caught have nothing to do with breaking PD's encryption. If they really broke it, there would be arrests up the ass all over Japan. This is another fool who bragged about it, or had a fight with someone who ratted them out. Oh well, it's not like this is going to stop the raws coming.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

When I was working in the Tokyo area a lot of places had notes attached to the computers warning about using Winny and how it was a virus factory. I just kept wondering why they didn't yank the install-rights from users...

That won't stop anything, if you know a decent amount about computer's it's EASY to get install rights back, or even "hack" into the admin account (most probably use the default passwords anyway, or just easy to guess passwords)

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Serves him right. ONE THOUSAND FILES? I hope they lock him up and throw away the key.

The main problem with online pirates is you can't really say if they cost the companies any profit. In most cases, I'm 100% sure those people weren't gonna buy the product anyway so there really was no lost profit and thus no real harm done. Of course the companies don't care about that and just want to act like they lost millions of dollars. My main issue with buying/not buying anime is price and quality. There's only been around 20 anime out of the 300+ I've seen that I actually felt were worth any money and most of the time the companies wanted waaay too much money for them. And so I only own things like anime legend dvds and a few others I found discounted on amazon and makoto shinkai stuff.

There are plenty of worse people out in the world and on the net that should be locked up instead of these people.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Right, because lifetime imprisonment is an appropriate response for violating copyright, presumably on a not-for-profit basis. Rolling Eyes
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to know for sure unless (if) more details are released, but I find it unlikely that this was due to flaws in PD itself, and more likely the guy using his @whatever tripcode elsewhere (as happened previously). I'd also take NetAgent's claims with a huge heaping of salt, as they've shown absolutely no evidence that they have broken any part of PD.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
You'd think with all the other arrests involving PD, that people would, you know, NOT UPLOAD THERE. That seems like they just don't get it over there that getting arrested is not fun.
Manic_Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:

Right, because lifetime imprisonment is an appropriate response for violating copyright, presumably on a not-for-profit basis. Rolling Eyes

Agreed. People have committed far more serious crimes and haven't gotten the proper amount of jail time to go with the crime.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

That won't stop anything, if you know a decent amount about computer's it's EASY to get install rights back, or even "hack" into the admin account (most probably use the default passwords anyway, or just easy to guess passwords)

I see what you're saying.

I think if you tightly administer your admin groups right, use 7+-alpha-non-numeric passwords, enable logs and login times, disable the "former pwd" policy, and DON'T enable the run as command, then you've circumvented a lot of your users' ability to hack your system in-person. I'd start nuking remote access as well.

I didn't see a lot of locked workstations or advanced logon options when I was working there.

Gah... I used to be cool. I swear.

Last edited by TokyoGetter on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aznwavez

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Without pirating, I would never have been able to get into anime. It was far too expensive to continue to watch shows. Now that I have seen a lot of anime via sharing, I dump all of my extra money in merchandise relating to shows I actually like. PVC figures, DVD box sets, etc. Most anime viewers do put money back into anime in some form or another. $25 for 1 DVD that includes 4 episodes. Do you know how crazy that is?
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Aznwavez wrote:
$25 for 1 DVD that includes 4 episodes. Do you know how crazy that is?

Not half as crazy as $50 for 2 episodes, which is the kind of prices the Japanese often have to pay.

Fortunately, many R1 releases aren't even at the 4 episodes/$25 MSRP anymore. Thanks to things like half-season sets and online discounts, we have it pretty good here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It seems copyright violation is a criminal offense in Japan, and since Japan is a low crime-rate country, they have time to go after these crimes. Laughing
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Aznwavez wrote:
Without pirating, I would never have been able to get into anime. It was far too expensive to continue to watch shows. Now that I have seen a lot of anime via sharing, I dump all of my extra money in merchandise relating to shows I actually like. PVC figures, DVD box sets, etc. Most anime viewers do put money back into anime in some form or another. $25 for 1 DVD that includes 4 episodes. Do you know how crazy that is?

$25 for 4 episodes isn't bad at all. Pretty on par to what DVD movies of a similar length used to list for. Also consider that you can get the singles cheaper than that if you go to the right place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Aznwavez wrote:
$25 for 1 DVD that includes 4 episodes. Do you know how crazy that is?

Not half as crazy as $50 for 2 episodes, which is the kind of prices the Japanese often have to pay.

Actually o3o it's more like this with the current exchange rate
Shounen Jump Series - 4 episode with a $40-45 price tag.
Moe/Nich Series 1 OR 2 episode $60-100 price tag.

With recent trends in Licesencing and packaging in America I'm find Japanese Prices more and more reasonable. QAQ /collector at heart/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4