• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - North by Northrop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear more and more people coming out and saying they loved Speed Racer. I saw it in theaters twice and tried to get everyone I knew to go see it, but they all looked at me like I was insane, and well, they're probably right. My Dad however loved it and even though he never watched the show when he was younger, claimed seeing it made him feel like a 12 year old again on Saturday Morning. As an adaption of Speed Racer, it was perfect, and I've never seen a movie try to bring the anime-style to live action form to the perfection they did. Visually it was stunning from every angle, and they pushed the limits of technology to achieve something that hadn't yet been attempted in Holly Wood. Hopefully over time Speed Racer may achieve some sort of cult status on it's own outside of anime fans.

Loved the guest this week since it's really interesting to hear about a guy who actually works in holly wood with these sorts of properties. Really would like to hear more about that OEL stuff he's working on. The indie comic community needs more organization, and I like the sound of some of the things the guest is trying.

However, I just don't understand why we as American comic artists have to limit ourselves to this OEL label. Yeah, the art styles may be manga-influenced, but there are plenty of other comics, mainstream and indie (Boondocks, Scott Pilgrim, Jill Thompson's stuff), that takes that influence and runs with it. It seems to me we're keeping these OEL comic artist in a kind of box when they could be out running around with all the other "regular" comic artist of North America and the world, expanding and experimenting with their projects.

I guess it all comes down to my really disliking the "OEL" term since manga is just another word for comics to begin with, and comics are a part of American culture. It's just buried under a lot of crap and stereotypes.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Wow, Zac and Justin sure call the forums on the crap justifications for scanlations.

This is when I stopped playing this week's podcast. The hypocrisy of Zac and Justin is absolutely ludicrous.

Let's examine how they're hypocrites:
Spring 2010 Anime Preview Guide

This is the 6th year of heading to a fan sub site, watching anime (for free), then turning and writing a review about it. Since the site is ad and subscriber supported, they're making money off of the reviews.

This action is absolutely no different than the manga and fansub sites, but yet it's okay to use them, write a review, profit from it, then criticize these sites on their own for-profit website.

From tempest himself:
Quote:
Actually,this has happened on occasion, and we do have the relationships necessary with some companies to get subbed previews if they exist. But they don't exist for most shows, and it would take a lot of time and effort to get just a couple legit episodes.

So yes, we use fansubs.

I guess it's okay, since ANN doesn't get 1,000,000+ page hits per day.

I'm sure some people will come in and scream "But they're not showing the anime so it's different!". It's not different. They're still profiting off the works of others. None of us can legally access these show in the United States, which means they're profiting off of those profiting off of infringed works.

Without those fan sub sites, they'd have no Spring Review to write.

I'll listen to the podcast later, skipping to 9:00 and hoping I won't have to listen to this hypocrisy again.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
rockman nes wrote:
What would you have us, who have no other way of getting translations of these particular kinds of works, do? Twiddle our thumbs and keep our eyes closed till a license magically appears? Rolling Eyes

Hey, it's what I do. And buy other stuff while you wait to read to increase the likelihood of a company licensing them. Buy similar stuff like DH's entire, seinen-oriented manga line for example. If companies have more $$$, they have more free time to experiment.

Wow, Zac and Justin sure call the forums on the crap justifications for scanlations.

The only one with any "crap justification" is you. Do you not realize what you just said is completely retarded? "keep buying random titles until the title YOU like gets licensed lol". So if I buy the entire Berserk series from DH, a license for a title like, say, Hanashippanashi will automatically appear?...

Understand that I AM NOT JUSTIFYING THE EXISTENCE OF AGGREGATOR SITES, BUT I AM JUSTIFYING THE EXISTENCE OF FAN TRANSLATIONS (of unlicensed titles)

It is possible to make a fan translation of something, and not profit from it. If any of the titles I read were licensed, I would gladly pay for them, but as of the moment they aren't.

The weaboos on this forum love to act like they have the moral high ground in everything, and I'm honestly sick of it.

The fan-scanlation (of unlicensed titles) site Kotonoha pretty much summed up my feelings on the issue with their latest blog:
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A Wake-up Call

Posted by Nomad Soul on Jun 8, 2010 in General, News

I don’t usually use this blog to post personal thoughts, but I think this latest news deserves some kind of comment. According to Publishers Weekly (via ANN), a coalition between 36 Japanese manga publishers and 4 American ones has been formed with the goal to combat the “rampant and growing problem” of scanlations. The as-yet-to-be-named coalition is planning to take legal action against 30 scanlation sites for the beginning. The article does not disclose any names, but it’s widely assumed that MangaFox and OneManga, the two biggest scanlation aggregators, will be among the sites targeted.

While I have no reason to believe that Kotonoha is one of those 30 sites, there is no question that this news will have a significant impact on the English scanlation scene as a whole, including us. That said, I’m not in the least surprised about this development. The way things were going, it was only a question of time until those companies had enough and decided to take off the gloves. I think the majority of scanlators already knew that something like this would eventually happen, so I don’t expect a lot of reaction from “our side.” Besides, the focus at the moment seems to be mainly on the aggregator sites, which in retrospect makes Kotonoha’s decision not to upload our releases there look pretty wise. It’s quite simple really, online viewing sites increase the visibility of scanlations at a time when scanlators should actually be lying low. And now we all see why.

Unfortunately, getting rid of Mangafox & Co. won’t make the problem go away, not for us and not for those companies. That’s because they are only the symptoms of a malaise that has afflicted scanlation for a very long time, a malaise that was born out of arrogance, hubris and the general disrespect for simple rules that allowed scanlators to co-exist with the manga industry in the first place. There are a lot of people in the scanlation scene today who would argue that since scanlation is illegal either way, the scanlators should not feel obligated to follow any rules at all. What they seem to forget is that those rules were created specifically to prevent a situation like this from happening. They were the reason that scanlators today can have websites, blogs, and forums instead of just an anonymous email address at hushmail dot com. This all could change very soon.

I’d like to think of those rules as a boat that, flimsy as it might have been, was able to keep us scanlators afloat on a sea full of sharks. It used to be that those sharks would leave us alone as long as we kept quiet and did not invade their territories, which is exactly what happened when folks started scanlating licensed material. Every time you scanlate a manga that is officially available in English, you punch a hole in that boat. Then came Mangafox and OneManga and what they did is they fired a bunch of torpedoes down those holes and spilled blood like BP oil round about the boat. So here we are: sitting in a half-sunken boat and the sharks are circling.

The optimist in me still believes that a solution can be found that would benefit everyone, but this relies on the ability of us scanlators to acknowledge the fact that the current path is unsustainable, and that for us to be able to continue pursuing this hobby, some uncomfortable changes and sacrifices have to be made.

When I first started Kotonoha, I already had a clear idea of what kind of group I wanted it to be. From the beginning, I decided that there were certain lines we would not cross, no matter the circumstances. Ever since then we have tried to limit our selection to titles that are unlikely to be licensed in the USA. That means no works by big-name authors like Naoki Urasawa, Takehiko Inoue, Taiyo Matsumoto, Osamu Tezuka etc. who already have an established English fanbase and whose works are likely to be licensed sooner or later. You could say that All-rounder Meguru was an exception, but only because I was convinced that a slice-of-life manga about a niche sport wouldn’t sell well enough over here, not with Eden still struggling to break even.

What I want to say is, unlike scanlation readers who will simply go where the scans are, scanlators do have a choice about how to respond to the approaching storm. We can either keep our heads buried in the sand and hope for the best or we can take a step back and rethink our approach (that includes Kotonoha as well). If we don’t make this choice now, those companies will make it for us and I don’t believe any of us wants that to happen
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize Onemanga was making a bunch of money off their stuff. I feel rather stupid and dirty now. I agree that any site making money off of piracy needs to go down. I wish the manga companies would have a translated version of new manga chapters for foreign countries, though. (Like how Animax or whatever has their own dubs for TV broadcast, and then a company over here licenses the show and dubs it over here? Something like that would be cool.)

I mean, I'm collecting Detective Conan, and VIZ is only up to vol 34, which is 300-some chapters. Japan is in the 700's.... that's a VERY long wait. Also, one of my all-time favorite manga series to go re-read is Mahoraba (I don't know why, I just find it absolutely adorable on a Fruits Basket scale.) and it's not available in anime OR manga form in the U.S., so that depresses me.

As for the new site from the Mangahelpers people, it sounds awesome, and I really hope they get some cool series up on there.

Yay for new video player and tons of content to watch! Anime hyper I don't think I'll be watching that Remi show, because I'm not a fan of depressing stuff. But I REALLY love your plans for the player.

Anime Expo, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! That's... that's... HIGHWAY ROBBERY ISN'T AS BAD AS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Thank GOD Otakon's my local con. I was hoping to go to that con one year, because it's so big, but screw ever going to that con.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
All I have to say to critics of Zac and Justin is that it's telling how consistently a certain inconvenient truth is ignored--namely the reality of aggregator sites that have scans of licensed titles and will even upload official releases. You don't get to write long polemics about fan translations of unlicensed titles (which too often don't get taken down post-license) as if they're the only thing at stake here or at least the most significant thing at stake. They're not--not even close. And that full context is adequately discussed in the podcast.

The Anime Expo situation sounds just dreadful. Not an issue for me since I'm on the other side of the country, but I hope AX sees a better day for the sake of the many fans that go there. I certainly hope Otakon never changes.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
The only one with any "crap justification" is you. Do you not realize what you just said is completely retarded? "keep buying random titles until the title YOU like gets licensed lol". So if I buy the entire Berserk series from DH, a license for a title like, say, Hanashippanashi will automatically appear?...

Where did I say that I buy stuff I don't like to get stuff licensed I do like? I buy manga I like, and my supporting the companies ensures that they can keep publishing manga, which means they'll keep licensing manga, which increases the likelihood of them picking up another title I would probably like, since they make decisions based on how well similar titles sell. Like how Seven Seas experimented with yuri manga after KashiMashi was a big hit for them.

If I buy a series from an artist I like, I help increase the likelihood another of their series will get licensed.

ps-- the name on that emoticon in the link is sort of offensive. Calm down and think things through before posting something like that

Last edited by Paploo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish that Japanese studios could just be given a Hollywood budget for these type of movies, and only have slight American involvement.

becuase the japanese are so much better at adapting their own works for live action, right?
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
All I have to say to critics of Zac and Justin is that it's telling how consistently a certain inconvenient truth is ignored--namely the reality of aggregator sites that have scans of licensed titles and will even upload official releases. You don't get to write long polemics about fan translations of unlicensed titles as if they're the only thing at stake here or at least the most significant thing at stake.

As I've said before, all I really care about are the translations of unlicensed titles. I have no problem if aggregator sites of licensed material get shut down. More power to them, I say.

I swear, you're making me out to be the bad guy here. I DO care about this industry..
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Rockman, a flaw with your logic-

Companies are unlikely to license some titles if they are available online on a massive scale, so nowadays scanlating a title will decrease the likelihood of it getting licensed. Which will hurt the potential income of an artist. I think Vertical's Ed Chavez has mentioned this a few times [checking for that]- a middle-range title getting scanlated hurts its chances at getting licensed in the current market.

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-04-23 I know the ANNCast talks a lot about these issues. When I find the link I was thinking of I'll share it. But I do recall that there's some titles publishers will pass on since the availability of the scans makes it less desirable to license.

WAIT---- Vertical actually does say that becasue of scans, some artists don't want to get titles licensed in the States. So yeah, listen to the ANNCast and you'll get some of the reasons
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Companies are unlikely to license some titles if they are available online on a massive scale, so nowadays scanlating a title will decrease the likelihood of it getting licensed. Which will hurt the potential income of an artist. Vertical's Ed Chavez has mentioned this a few times- a middle-range title getting scanlated hurts its chances at getting licensed in the current market.

So basically your mind set is: Unlicensed scans are bad, m'kay?

Deleting Getter Robo and Mazinger Z manga scans off my HDD now since, you know, translations of those (unlicensed) titles are REALLY hurting the industry

Last edited by rockman nes on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Companies are unlikely to license some titles if they are available online on a massive scale, so nowadays scanlating a title will decrease the likelihood of it getting licensed. Which will hurt the potential income of an artist. I think Vertical's Ed Chavez has mentioned this a few times [checking for that]- a middle-range title getting scanlated hurts its chances at getting licensed in the current market.

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-04-23 I know the ANNCast talks a lot about these issues. When I find the link I was thinking of I'll share it. But I do recall that there's some titles publishers will pass on since the availability of the scans makes it less desirable to license.

I'm kind of doubtful in that. It seems lately that only titles popular in scanlations, or at least with shoujo, are being licensed. Alice in the Country of Hearts, Black Bird, and Dengeki Daisy are examples of several titles already mostly scanlated and widely available online before a license was announced. Black Bird and Alice in the Country of Heart's sales don't seem hurt at all since they're now regularly gracing the NYT best seller lists. Other titles like Yen Press's Black Butler and Pandora Hearts were also widely available scanlated before Yen Press got the rights to them.

I don't think it's that great of an idea for publishers to use scanlations as a way to fish the waters for a new best seller, but it doesn't seem to be stopping them from licensing them if scanlations are already out. The more popular the manga is online the more of a fanbase there is to buy. The main problem (in this instance) in terms of sales comes when the scanlators continue to scanlate chapters once a manga is licensed, and don't remove the chapters scanlated before the license announcement.

Then again once something is on the net, you can't really ever take it off.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Still can't find the thing I was thinking off, but I recall it basically being scans don't hurt the A-list titles chances of getting licensed like you listed, rather they hurt the B+C-listers chances of being licensed. Take that with a grain of salt until I find the discussion I was thinking of though. I think the closure of the aggreagors making the stuff more difficult to access might help that problem a little.

" The main problem (in this instance) in terms of sales comes when the scanlators continue to scanlate chapters once a manga is licensed, and don't remove the chapters scanlated before the license announcement. "

That's pretty true. No one has any valid reason to make, read or distribute Naruto scanlations.

EDIT--

Not the link I was looking for but-
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-06-08/multi-national-manga-anti-piracy-coalition-formed

"According to the coalition, the problem has reached a point where “scanlation aggregator” sites now host thousands of pirated titles, earning ad revenue and/or membership dues at creators' expense while simultaneously undermining foreign licensing opportunities and unlawfully cannibalizing legitimate sales"

So I guess what that means is that scanlating undermines the opportunity for a manga to be licensed. So there you go.

Last edited by Paploo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well the question is do I have to force my self to learn Japanese, just so I can read stuff like Ashita no Joe, and Devilman. Oh wait has Devilman been licensed yet?

Oh, me and my best friend really enjoyed Speed Racer, I saw it five times. My dad even liked the movie; since he saw the anime back when he was a kid, in spanish.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Well the question is do I have to force my self to learn Japanese, just so I can read stuff like Ashita no Joe, and Devilman. Oh wait has Devilman been licensed yet?

Oh, me and my best friend really enjoyed Speed Racer, I saw it five times. My dad even liked the movie; since he saw the anime back when he was a kid, in spanish.

Devilman's had a few different english editions- the most easily available is probably the bilingual edition Kodansha made that translated both the original series and the remake completely. Jason Thompson's mentioned it in his column.

Also, if you know french, http://www.amazon.ca/ASHITA-NO-JOE-T01-TOMORROWS/dp/2723472248/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276365990&sr=8-1 Ashita no Joe is being published in France/Canada in french. There's also the anime movie on english dubbed/subbed dvd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5