• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
And the Oscar goes to... The Incredibles!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Shame no anime was there this year, but a good choice non-the-less. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Thing is though, none of the anime feature films released last year really held a candle to The Incredibles in terms of both writing and animation quality. This really was the best animated feature of the year, hands down, and I for one would've actually been rather pissed off had an anime been nominated and won out over it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw that, too. Nobody deserves that Oscar more than Brad Bird. I'm happy for him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
In a hypothetical situation where it could be up against animated films from other years, I would easily vote for The Incredibles over any anime film made since Kiki's Delivery Service. It was that good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
No alarms and no surprises.

I was DAMN pissed that Ryan beat Guard Dog for Best Animated Short though...I guess I should be glad that the Academy rewarded serious animation made for adults, but that film really rubbed me the wrong way. Felt like Chris Landreth was just using Ryan Larkin's personal tragedies to his own end. Landreth gets an Oscar for it, but Larkin - who got snubbed by the Academy when his absolutely brilliant 'Walking' got nominated way back in the day - is still living on welfare...am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Guard Dog would win, too, but I'm a little biased, as I have actually seen Bill Plympton in person, and he seems like a nice enough guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
Yeah, everyone I've talked to who has met Bill Plympton really likes him. He's one of the few famous people that I actually would like to meet. And it's really been a long time since I laughed at anything the way I did during Guard Dog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:37 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Guard Dog, but I think it's a part of Don Hertzdfeldt's and Mike Judge's Animation Show festival this year, so I'll be looking forward to it! I'm also really glad the Incredibles won.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Million Dollar Baby Won!! Screw you Aviator, you hack of a film!!]
darkxodia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I was PISSED at the fact The Incredibles won the oscar over Shrek 2 or Shark Tale. Okay...Shark Tale wasn't the best movie ever nor was it better than The Incredibles but Shrek 2 was hell of ALOT better than The Incredibles. Yes, The Incredibles is a good movie but definately NOT Oscar worthy..well not over Shrek 2. All in all, The Incredibles was a good movie, but Shrek 2 should have won.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
It all depends on the person who seen it. I liked The Incerdibles, but not much more the Shrek 2. Heck, I kind of wish Ray got best picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:01 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but what the hell was Shrek 2 apart from the same jokes (and some lifted from the Simpsons and other sources) from the original Shrek film, a photocopy of the film's first soundtrack and the same damn animation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1