• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toradora! DVD 1 Eps. 1-7 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmsidr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It was one of my most favorite shows of the last years becasue it had cliche characters at the beginning that showed a lot of depth later in the show. I really liked Ami's very open way to express her opinions.

Oh, and regarding the subtitle-only release, you all should be content that you get all these shows at all. In Germany we always get dubs but this year only about 4 series get released...

Seymour85 wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
It appears that NIS America's official store would be willing.

http://rosenqueen.com/help.php?section=FAQ

I haven't looked at their shipping rates. On the plus side you get a poster that you won't get from anywhere else.
Thank you very much. I shall check this out.

The NIS America shop has very high shipping costs (at least to Germany), I ordered it at Rightstuf, but I think they still have this policy.
Seymour85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
tmsidr wrote:
It was one of my most favorite shows of the last years becasue it had cliche characters at the beginning that showed a lot of depth later in the show. I really liked Ami's very open way to express her opinions.

Oh, and regarding the subtitle-only release, you all should be content that you get all these shows at all. In Germany we always get dubs but this year only about 4 series get released...

Seymour85 wrote:
ZenErik wrote:
It appears that NIS America's official store would be willing.

http://rosenqueen.com/help.php?section=FAQ

I haven't looked at their shipping rates. On the plus side you get a poster that you won't get from anywhere else.
Thank you very much. I shall check this out.

The NIS America shop has very high shipping costs (at least to Germany), I ordered it at Rightstuf, but I think they still have this policy.
Thanks for the heads up. I might still go for it as I really did love this show. Chances of this seeing a UK release anytime soon look to be close to nil.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm at a loss of what to do. I watched this last year when I still used fansubs and didn't mind subs, but now that I've ditched fansubs and stick mostly with dubs, it's a little less appealing. I don't remember much, but I do remember really liking it spoiler[(the fight between Ami and Taiga and the confession stick out a lot)]. However, I don't know if I'd ever watch it because the Japanese has become really unappealing to me. I'm afraid it'll end up like Aria where I'll buy it with the expectation of being swept off my feet, but never watch it because I can't get passed the first episode.

I'll probably end up getting it anyways, but it'll turn into a dust collector. Or I'll watch it and thank myself later. Either one is possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally going to wait out on a dub. I don't want to buy a sub-only release, and then have to buy the entire thing all over again just for a dub track.

And before someone replies saying "if you don't buy the sub, there won't be a dub!", I just want to say that it's my choice not to buy it. I'm not obligated to buy anything. And no, I haven't seen this series yet. I'm not trying to justify pirating or anything like the other people are, I'm just trying to keep my budget in line.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Since people have said I should do something about my displeasure about the recent lack of dubs on anime, I have started a petition, please sign,

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=131330

Online petitions always work.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Since people have said I should do something about my displeasure about the recent lack of dubs on anime, I have started a petition, please sign,

Hey, it got Bleach simulcasting on Crunchyroll, remember? Twisted Evil
Elliot G

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I signed up just so that I could show my Toradora support here. Hahaha.

I gave this show a shot when I was studying abroad in Japan, and it really surprised me with just how exceptional it is.

I recommend it to anyone who's been looking for a truly good romcom, and has been suffering through moe/fanservice shows without fail.

Great characters across both genders.

I also think the price is justified given the goodies present. I have no problem with a lack of a dub since I've been buying Criterion releases all my life.

Pre-order sent.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

Online petitions don't, but not buying things tends to. Twisted Evil

Edit: just saw this about NIS on Wikipedia "During years 2008 and 2009 the financial results for Nippon Ichi saw a huge drop. The January 2009 financial report for the company recorded a drop of more than 97% in income in comparison to the previous year.[4]. Kotaku editor Brian Ashcraft reported that after the release of the financial figures "The company's closing price on the JASDAQ (Japanese NASDAQ) was ¥36,200 on Friday. When the market opened this morning, and investors began reacting to Nippon Ichi's financial statement, the stock price ultimately dropped ¥7,000 (US$78) as the stock was unloaded." I hereby retract the devil horns from the above emoticon. They obviously need the money, and their pricing suddenly makes a whole lot of sense (assuming their financial situation hasn't turned around since then)

Last edited by captainbanana on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well I certainly agree with the review that this show manages to do everything right in its category where so many other shows have screwed up. Seriously I don't think I could've said it any better than the reviewer did.

My only disagreement is about the art, which I don't really enjoy nearly as much as the reviewer. I guess I just don't think it was ever that detailed, and that's something I'm always looking for in my anime. In the end I probably would've only given it a B+ as well. It's good and entertaining, but there's not anything there that I think makes it stand out too much from the crowd. But really those are my only complaints, everything else is done remarkably well.

spoiler[Of course I just hope that the reviewer is prepared for the dark, dramatic path this show will take halfway through. It will be nothing like what he's watching now so if that's what he's hoping for he's dead wrong. It's good though, as long as you accept the drama you should love it...till the last episode at least.]

If I had the extra money to buy it I would. Unfortunately that's not the case, but this is a must buy for those who can afford it.

Also, please don't complain about the sub-only thing. I mean c'mon people this is a new company making it's debut in horrible economic times. And there's certainly no chance of it being dubbed later if people aren't buying it now.

Last edited by CG-LOVER on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Whew, I'm glad Carl gave this one a good review. I love this show so much I would have had a hissyfit if he hadn't liked it. (Doubtlessly, Carl is heaving a massive sigh of relief at this dodged bullet.) I've ordered the NIS set and can't wait to get it. I'm willing to bet I missed a bunch of details on my first viewing and I look forward to picking up on them the second time around.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I happen to make a blog post about the issue of moe and if it is preventing anime being maisntream.

About Toradora!, I probably would say the series does use some elements of moe, but not to the ridiculous WTF extremes like Lucky Star or Hidamari Sketch. Moe isn't the entire point of Toradora! Heck, it's supposed to be romantic comedy drama that looks into an establishment of a romantic relationship between a nice guy who looks like a delinquent, and a tsundere.

Toradora is a series that I'm quite interested in watching. I wasn't expecting a dub when NIS America announced it, because NIS America is a very new company like Section23/Sentai. However, I would be personally surprised if they did dub the series due to the high DVD sales within a year (just like how CLANNAD got a dub).

But anyways, I really love the packaging of Toradora premium boxset. It has several extras that compensates the lack of dub, and the episodes are packaged in a reasonable way (13 episode set) and a reasonable price. As opposed to how Bandai packaged Hayate the Combat Butler! where it is around 6-7 episodes each and have no dub with limited extras (I would have been more willing to buy Hayate the Combat Butler! if it were packaged in 13 episodes for $40).

To the dub fans: I think the best way for you guys to see a dub of Toradora! is to buy the boxset. I think Janai made some convincing posts to buy Toradora! But what incentive would a dub fan would buy a sub-only set? Maybe because of the nice extras they are offering. Maybe because the show interests you. Maybe you want to find a birthday present for yourself or your friends. Maybe because of the reasonable packaging. Maybe you want to make an abridged series or a fandub to share with your friends or at a convention. Maybe the fact that buying it subbed-only would increase the chances of dub. But like I said, there are many shows that I watched subbed-only to be enjoyable (Sketchbook ~full Color'S~, School Days, To Aru Majutsu no Index).

Yes, as a dub fan, I am sad that there are less and less dubs nowadays due to the economic recession. And many companies need to make changes. But hopefully, if the economy slowly recovers, we might see more dubbing.
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
and I don't care about art books, fancy boxes, t-shirts, or any of the other pack-in crap that constitutes a "special edition"

NIS, don't listen to this guy. there's a solid contingent that gravitates towards products that offer such, and greatly prefers them over a dub.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel the same.

Extras > English dub

Nozomi had it right with the Aria releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Fifty dollars for thirteen episodes, without a dub. That is 100 dollars for the entire series potentially. For a comparison, all 112 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho can be had for about the same price. Plenty of recent 26 episode series can be had (with a dub) for less than the cost of half the Toradora series without one.

As others have stated, though, not for a first-run release. When (if?) this series merits a boxed set rerelease, you'll probably find it at a comparable price to those other series you're talking about, if not cheaper.

Quote:
This pricing reminds me of the Bandai Visual pricing scheme from last year; in other words, I doubt it is going to work.

Oh, don't even go there. The BV titles were all immensely more expensive on a per-minute or per-episode basis than anything being released now.

Quote:
This set will either drop in price substantially, or they simply won't sell very many copies. I wouldn't even pay $50 for a blu-ray set that only had 13 episodes. $50 for an entire 25 episode set would be more to my liking (especially if it were Blu-Ray) and I can definitely wait.

Glad you like waiting, then. Besides, the Claymore Blu-Ray set - which is also a rerelease rather than a first-run release - still has an MSRP of $70. So does Trinity Blood, again as a years-after-the-fact rerelease on Blu-Ray. In other words, your short-term expectations are completely unrealistic.

About the series itself, I never really thought of Taiga as a moe character, even though she did win a prominent Japanese moe tournament a few months ago, beating out even the K-On! girls to do it. (And they're the reigning epitome of moe.) Those who don't care for moe styling won't be overwhelmed by any part of this series.

Oh, and for those who haven't already noticed, I am actively removing posts that only deal with general discussion about whether or not titles should/need to be dubbed. Be sure you stay relevant to this specific series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
So far I've managed to avoid spoilers for this show, but it sounds like Toradora gets pretty dramatic in the second half. I'm just wondering if it gets super depressing like Clannad After Story.

Also, I don't get the complaints about the price. Granted it's more expensive than Funimations sets, but it's still better than the days when we had to pay $30 for 3-4 episode singles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9