• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 14-Year-Old Arrested for Leaking Manga on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NDenizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Seems like pretty bad PR to go arresting children that want to share their favourite comics for others to enjoy for free

The "respecting manga's future" argument is valid but just harping on about it every time someone wants to make the most of a story they love, just reeks of the sort of policies government and corporations use, such as Terrorism Acts or Copyright Laws, to stop people doing what they want because they want to express a criticism or just continue their harmless activities.

If I was a professional artist, the idea that the industry I was associated with was punishing my readers for sharing my work, I would be slightly unnerved by that.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Good job soldier!

Soldier? In the war against what?

This is a dumb move. Go after the for-profit aggregators. Not kids and old ladies. That's what made the RIAA unpopular.

Well clearly the industry believes this kid to be a member of splinter group of Manga Pirate Terrorists, and they were just nipping the leak in the bud. And by nipping it in the bud I mean they're hanging him from a rope and beating him with a club right now.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
If I was a professional artist, the idea that the industry I was associated with was punishing my readers for sharing my work, I would be slightly unnerved by that.

So you have no problem with A) Not being paid for your work or B) Someone stealing money out of your pocket? Food off your table? Not being able to pay your bills? C) People losing their jobs over lost profits due to piracy?

Did you see the most recent update to this story? This wasn't some youthful innocent posting for the fun of it, this was a highly coordinated effort amongst a group of people acting over several months time.

People see the headline and automatically assume some naive 14 year-old, who gets caught doing it his first time... WRONG! This wasn't an isolated event. I hope they punish him and his cohorts to the full extent of the law.

He's the kinda young adult who BECOMES the for-profit aggregator!
NDenizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
NDenizen wrote:

So you have no problem with A) Not being paid for your work or B) Someone stealing money out of your pocket? Food off your table? Not being able to pay your bills? C) People losing their jobs over lost profits due to piracy?

I personally am not the sort of person who judges everything on money and being payed and obsesses over it. Just because you may be one of society's loyal sheep that hold imaginary numbers in high esteem, don't assume others are, especially not Artists for god's sake.

Regarding BREAD FOR MY FAMILY and other vital metaphors you want to throw around, Mangaka seem to be generally underpaid anyway, and I doubt that the higher-ups in Shueisha are worried about the salaries of their artists more than their own income. They can easily use the manga and hold it up as a beacon of important creativity and art to shield their own simple financial interest.

I know this is a very cynical outlook, but it seems to be the way - mainstream artistic companies, such as large record companies, are notorious for trying to convince people that their artists are losing money from filesharing and piracy, despite the fact the system is already constructed in a way that channels money into the pockets of the management and leaves the bands and artists in debt for as long as possible.

Oh and FYI, idiot, it is NOT PIRACY if no profit is being made from sharing someone else's work, immorally or not. Learn what these words you bandy around mean.

Quote:
Did you see the most recent update to this story? This wasn't some youthful innocent posting for the fun of it, this was a highly coordinated effort amongst a group of people acting over several months time.

People see the headline and automatically assume some naive 14 year-old, who gets caught doing it his first time... WRONG! This wasn't an isolated event. I hope they punish him and his cohorts to the full extent of the law.

And I here I hope I am just responding to a troll. A bunch of kids setting up a little system where they share their beloved graphic novels, or even where some otaku record TV and then stick it online, is not really a "highly co-ordinated effort".
Punishment is a redundant idea and a useless repellant, and I never really feel anyone should be punished to the full extent of the law then the law is broken, or they're basically children. Especially when they did it to spread the manga around (sharing things is generally considering a nice thing to do by anyone who's not ridiculously Right-wing) over a commercial video site. It's not like burning and selling DVDs, which even then has a negligible effect on the companies that make the movies.
But hey, I spent some time uploading OVAs to Veoh and now I am a billionaire drug baron and human trafficker! Maybe you're right! (That was sarcasm, in case you did not notice)

Generally a solution to a problem of privacy, when you are a company, is not to use the Law, because the Law is needlessly aggressive, over the top, and ultimately USELESS in preventing copyright "crime". What clever companies do is change the way they do things in their own business - they change their genres or styles, modify their business model to cater to fans who enjoy giving all they can rather than just casuals.

In the face of the modern issue of Copyright, one of the most important things is to make people like you as a respectable company and then gain loyal supporters who will do what they can to stop you collapsing. Using national law to arrest children is one of the best ways to lose all respect - losing customers, fans, income, and then the salaries and jobs of mangaka. See, I can do slipperly slopes too.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
I know this is a very cynical outlook, but it seems to be the way - mainstream artistic companies, such as large record companies, are notorious for trying to convince people that their artists are losing money from filesharing and piracy, despite the fact the system is already constructed in a way that channels money into the pockets of the management and leaves the bands and artists in debt for as long as possible.

Yes, this is the way the system works, cynical as it is. But the solution to the problem is not more stealing. The management's income is assured: They've seen to that. They will make sure any losses come out of the talent's paycheck.

If you're trying to steal to fight The Man, you've failed. The way to fight the man is to support creators when they try working outside of the system. But those attempts get ripped off and pirated just as much as ones through "official" channels.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen: Artist need to make money, if they don't make money they can't work, making manga isn't some thing Oda does in his freetime, his life is built around One Piece, due to it's massive sales he can enjoy things and provide for his family.

I think Oda is perfectly fine being able to provide for his family, and doesn't worry about what Shueisha does to provide for him with his checks. Mangaka have made mention of piracy and most of them have made it clear that piracy is wrong, and they want you to buy their products.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Well manga fans can rest easy now, a 14 yo and prob another 15 yo gets arrested.

And...the police really inflated the worth here..

ANN article wrote:

Update 5: According to the Sports Hochi newspaper, the Kyoto police multiplied the cost of a magazine issue (240-260 yen or US$2.60-US$2.85) times the number of YouTube views (over 8 million times) to estimate the damages caused at about 2 billion yen (US$22 million). The police's damage estimate has not been verified by independent experts.

Number of views don't equal lost sales. People can preview manga in stores without buying them.

If that was the case than Borders wouldn't have manga/books out for people to read them.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
alp227 wrote:
He might never get a good job or be accepted to college if sentenced hard. But how'd he get the manga in the first place? Isn't that a crime, receipt of stolen property? Maybe he's a child of a magazine employee?

Exactly, this was a very stupid act this kid did. This crime will never be erased and he'll have to live with the consequences for the rest of his life. But if you can't do the crime, don't do the crime.

Moral of the story, trouble is almost never worth the stress. If you know what your doing is wrong, just stop. Simple as that.

But if I were his parents, I sure wouldn't bail him out.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
Oh and FYI, idiot, it is NOT PIRACY if no profit is being made from sharing someone else's work, immorally or not. Learn what these words you bandy around mean.

Even if you don't make a profit, it's still piracy, it's still copyright infringement. Making a profit might mean more prison time since there'd be more criminal charges, but once you make copies of something that isn't yours and distribute it online, you're a pirate. You've ruined someonelses control to their property, and their ability to.

It's a pretty shitty thing to do- not as horrible as making money off of it, but still a shady, questionable activity that could get you in trouble with the law.

It's like saying "Well, at least he didn't make money off of stealing all that electronics equipment from Best Buy!" or "At least he doens't make money from abusing the elderly!" or the slightly related "At least he didn't make money from copying someonelses artwork and putting it up on his DA Gallery and claiming someonelses work as his own!". The horribleness of each action can vary, but it's still horrible and criminal.

A little exaggeration is in there of course, but sometimes you have to have to put in something a little blunt when "it's stealing and they're ripping off artists" doesn't get communicate it as effectively.

Everyone who pirates manga is just another Nick Simmons.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:

(1) I personally am not the sort of person who judges everything on money and being payed and obsesses over it. Just because you may be one of society's loyal sheep that hold imaginary numbers in high esteem, don't assume others are, especially not Artists for god's sake.

(2) Regarding BREAD FOR MY FAMILY and other vital metaphors you want to throw around, Mangaka seem to be generally underpaid anyway, and I doubt that the higher-ups in Shueisha are worried about the salaries of their artists more than their own income.

(1) When you're late on the rent, go tell your landlord that you're not the type who obsesses over money and see what type of reaction you get. That whole paragraph seems to be based on some 100% fantasy land thinking. None of it applies until you can goto your landlord, the grocery store and every place or person that you would need to buy something and have them positively respond to, "I'm an artist, so you should provide me with these goods or services at no cost."

Money is critical in the real world. There's not too much you can do without it.

(2) I don't get this. Are you saying that if you're already underpaid then it ok for your "fans" to take away the little bit that you do make? Once again, I think you have gross misconceptions about compensation, payment and the role of money in society.

vashfanatic wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
*drug possession/distribution is a negligible crime imo. There is no victim, just willing participants where everyone involved gets exactly what they want and any injury is self-injury*

Go watch The Wire and then tell me if you still think like that...

Yes, because poorly written and acted fiction is a 100% accurate depiction of life in the real world.

It should also be noted that all of the drug related crimes in the Wire stem from illegal distribution. Things probably would be as bad if they could set up legitimate stores and if someone threatened their business they could goto the police and be protected like any other legitimate business. Being illegal they have no choice but to take everything into their own hands and play by the rules and regulations of the streets.

It's the same as prostitution in countries that have legalized it. Here's is illegal and it's pimps and hookers with women getting beaten and abused. It places where it's legal it's business establishments with rules and regulations that get followed.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Yes, because poorly written and acted fiction is a 100% accurate depiction of life in the real world.

vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh Zac, you summed up my reaction perfectly! Laughing
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:

I personally am not the sort of person who judges everything on money and being payed and obsesses over it.

Seeing as that sentance wasn't grammatically correct, I'll assume that you are a high school kid, about to start tenth grade. Nothing wrong with being a high school kid, but until you've actually worked a job you have no idea how little your pay check actually covers. I don't even have other people around me to support, and it seems like I work really hard for a bunch of pennies.

Quote:
Just because you may be one of society's loyal sheep that hold imaginary numbers in high esteem, don't assume others are, especially not Artists for god's sake.

Maybe you're a ninth grader, because artist is not a proper noun, and you forgot to capitalize God. Do you know it costs money to be an artist? You have to by paints, paper, brushes, pens, and that's just artist supplies. You have to have a place to create your art, a living quarters which costs rent. As well, you have to be able to eat, so you can continue to have the energy to create.

Quote:
Regarding BREAD FOR MY FAMILY and other vital metaphors you want to throw around, Mangaka seem to be generally underpaid anyway, and I doubt that the higher-ups in Shueisha are worried about the salaries of their artists more than their own income. They can easily use the manga and hold it up as a beacon of important creativity and art to shield their own simple financial interest.

Or the higher-ups could say, "No one buys your work, underpaid magaka, so we're going to let you go." If you like the manga/anime/movies/music you consume, pay for it. If you don't pay for it there won't be anymore, because all of the magaka's will be working other jobs so they can survive.

Quote:

Record companies do not try to keep artists poor, because making the artists poor would make them unhappy, and an unhappy worker (artist) produces less.

Quote:

Offical definition of piracy is stealing, or violating Copyrights, which all Copyrights say you have no right to distribution. Which means it's Piracy to put scans on the internet. He wasn't trying to help out people who couldn't read it, he wasn't adding anything of merit to it, plain and simple he was being a douchebag. And name calling isn't nice, it only makes you seem younger and less educated.

I can't believe I broke months of lurking for that.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Go watch The Wire and then tell me if you still think like that...

Boy...there's a lot of ways to completely torpedo any credibility you might have but I think this one takes the cake.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

This is a pretty large leap to make. You do realize most aggregators couldn't care less about the material, right? They see a market opportunity and work from it.

I'm putting my box of donuts on the table these aggregators saw the potential when they saw scanlators (you know, the "innocent" kind) and gave them a new home to upload their works.

From there, it just spiraled out of control to include everything.

This is how these sites work. Once popular, we then start to see them "advertised" on Google. There hasn't been a single aggregator site which blew up instantly over night. These sites take time to build an audience.

Time which was completely ignored until the industries started to compete and spend money on the issue.

That's what ABCTom was getting at. Caution is mandatory for these companies when going after sites, not kids. When news like this 14 year starts to spread, it angers people. This anger gets misdirected, and tomorrow, we'll see people purposely uploading just to "prove these companies are wrong!"

I'm not justifying the actions of this kid, but given it was these very industries which changed Japan's copyright laws to begin with, the misdirection may not be as misguided as people think.

I really is a difficult situation, but one thing's for sure: in its current form, everyone's losing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6