• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Sunday for iPhone Manga App Launched in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
450 yen? Digital versions should be cheaper than the real thing.
Kalica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree on that, but at least a manga company is doing something.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will be the start of something.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
450 yen? Digital versions should be cheaper than the real thing.

When the "real thing" is three bucks (and from accounts I have read, printed on cheap stock)? Why? They'd be idiots to try to undercut a 250 yen weekly.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see they added the best Manga/Anime series! Go Detective Conan! Very Happy
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="agila61"]
Josh7289 wrote:
When the "real thing" is three bucks (and from accounts I have read, printed on cheap stock)?

I won't answer the other questions but "the real thing" now costs 410yen. Which with current exchange rates equals about $4.50.

Urusei Yatsura on Amazon

I will say this though charging as much or more for a digital version in Japan does happen more often than people might imagine. eBookJapan the largest distributor of online manga and pop culture books in Japan charges the same price as the print editions for most of their books.

So if you want to read eBook's version of GetBackers they charge 420yen. You wanna read a Harlequin novel it's 700yen.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a good start but it's pretty expensive considering what your getting.
Ahab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
How much???

Jeez any chance to rip people off...
I wonder if you will be able to purchase the volumes through iTunes on a regular PC? If so, i might not be so bad because you can at least make a back up copy for keeps. If its iPhone exclusive then that will be just something that stays on your phone without having the option of importing it to your computer...

I think it's great that they are finally trying a new idea to combat all the uploading/downloading but 450 yen a volume is a rip-off. I honestly can't see anybody buying these when they can pick up paperback copies of these titles in Book-off for 105 yen.

typical money grabbing, clueless, fools.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
How much???

I wonder if you will be able to purchase the volumes through iTunes on a regular PC? If so, i might not be so bad because you can at least make a back up copy for keeps. If its iPhone exclusive then that will be just something that stays on your phone without having the option of importing it to your computer...

I think it's great that they are finally trying a new idea to combat all the uploading/downloading but 450 yen a volume is a rip-off. I honestly can't see anybody buying these when they can pick up paperback copies of these titles in Book-off for 105 yen.

They'd be silly to undercut the cover price of a cheap, mass market print publication, since falling sales volumes of the print publication will push up the price per unit.
Ahab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Ahab wrote:
How much???

They'd be silly to undercut the cover price of a cheap, mass market print publication, since falling sales volumes of the print publication will push up the price per unit.

Not at all. You see, the mistake you're making here is that the weekly publication is not going to be available via this app. This app is specifically selling entire tankobon volumes of titles which are no longer being published in the weekly (except maybe Conan).
What I was saying is that charging 450 yen for old volumes of titles of like Urusei Yatsura and Ushio and Tora is just retarded. You can buy all of those titles in their paperback version for half that price.
If the magazine was selling its entire weekly magazine contents on that app for 450 yen, you'd have a point.

This is just another, very poorly thought and blatant attempt at milking way more money out of the already ripped-off Japanese consumers and I for one, have had enough of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1