• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Sengoku Basara Revoltech

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering how Revoltech compares to Figma in terms in terms of posability. I find the joints on figmas a little stiff.
TwinBahamut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Sengoku Basara's Masamune Date riding Trombe... That is pretty awesome. Though I suppose that I am more impressed by the fact that you have an Aussenseiter action figure than anything else. I want one...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I was wondering how Revoltech compares to Figma in terms in terms of posability. I find the joints on figmas a little stiff.

Revoltech tends to be a lot more dynamic from the get go, they really aren't meant to be left in a static pose. figma on the other hand are a little more "user friendly" and easier to pose. figma joints can be a little stiff, but Revoltech joints are ratcheted, they click when you move them, and can either be too stiff or too loose (especially the small joints). They're officially called "Revolver Joints" which is where the "revol" in "Revoltech" comes from, it's not short for "revolutionary" or anything like that.

Sizes vary wildly. Figures in the main line (Yamaguchi) usually run between 4" and 5". The Fraulein line of girl figures (which often competes directly with figma especially the upcoming Evangelion girls) are quite large, some topping off at near 6", while the Queen's Blade line is a bit closer to that of figma in size.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
After seeing the actual Date Masamune's armor in person, I find the anime version pretty hilarious and awesome. I'll look out for this figure. And there's a white version?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
It looks like Date put on some weight before modelling...
Funnily, they do make a nice pair even outside the anime. Wonder if their weapons combined can actually hold another figure.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:

Indeed. The caveat with figma is the design itself can make it difficult to pose. Those skirts don't move very well, and trying to pose legs without having a distorted hip hasn't been easy to overcome, which is why most of my figma figures have no flamboyant poses.

Quote:
That popularity has been earned: Revoltechs are of good quality, are wonderfully posable, and they don't break the bank.

I'm swaying to Revoltech myself, simply because it seems these are crafted with the understanding of posability rather than just looks. Sorry, Max Factory, but you've really got to do a little better.

Another bonus to the Revoltech line is the interchangeable parts. My goodness, is this so easy! I don't fear snapping the little spindle attached to ridiculously small hands.

I own the Haruhi Revoltech figure and it's astounding how easy it is to pose her to hold the guitar, change her accessories, and just make her look freakin' cool.

The downside are those stands. They're horrible! Who wants a figure hanging in mid air if the pose doesn't call for it? That's one advantage to figma. However, the best stand actually comes from the di:Stage, in which the stand uses a combination of the two companies! That stand should be the default for both.

Those peg-in-the-back stands have to go, as well as the choker around the neck because the waist isn't an option stands.

But all's good. It really, really is nice to pick up some quality figures that don't break the bank! $30. I remember when PVC figures were this low. Not anymore.

Now, if only both companies would churn out many more and faster! I wants me girls, dang it!
Smile
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
both Sanada and Date (and their all-white variants, if you want to marry them or something)

When I read this, I pictured one of those 100% white versions that look like they should have pigeons sitting on them in some park. (Or the all-gold variants, which we will speak no more of, thanks.) The real thing (http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD010193) is actually pretty cool. That link has a shot of both white figures, probably after they smooshed cake in each other's faces at the wedding reception...

Now I kinda want the white set. I don't watch the series, but my Sesshoumaru needs peeps.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
TwinBahamut wrote:
Sengoku Basara's Masamune Date riding Trombe... That is pretty awesome. Though I suppose that I am more impressed by the fact that you have an Aussenseiter action figure than anything else. I want one...

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN957487

It's from this set. I shelled out about half that for mine: still crazy expensive. Aussenseiter actually transforms from robot to horse mode (which is amazing, considering the design was clearly never intended to be rendered in 3D), but after you do the transformation once you'll probably never want to do it again in your life. The DGG is gorgeous and comes with all of Sanger's weapons in a base shaped like the side of a mountain. Next to Max Factory Genesic Gaogaigar it's probably my second favorite robot toy.

As a bonus, here is the other big-ticket robot toy I'd do terrible things for.
TwinBahamut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN957487

It's from this set. I shelled out about half that for mine: still crazy expensive. Aussenseiter actually transforms from robot to horse mode (which is amazing, considering the design was clearly never intended to be rendered in 3D), but after you do the transformation once you'll probably never want to do it again in your life. The DGG is gorgeous and comes with all of Sanger's weapons in a base shaped like the side of a mountain. Next to Max Factory Genesic Gaogaigar it's probably my second favorite robot toy.

As a bonus, here is the other big-ticket robot toy I'd do terrible things for.

That DGG set is indeed incredible. But that price... Ouch! There is no way I could justify that cost. Oh well, at least I can dream about owning a mech toy that awesome.

And now you have gone and reminded me that I still haven't seen GaoGaiGar Final, and that at the rate things are going I may never get a chance to do so without resorting to fansubs... I really wish that market realities were a bit different here. Oh well...
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
>>>Japanese History MAXIMUM Starring Norio Wakamoto

You should get to name everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The downside are those stands. They're horrible! Who wants a figure hanging in mid air if the pose doesn't call for it? That's one advantage to figma. However, the best stand actually comes from the di:Stage, in which the stand uses a combination of the two companies! That stand should be the default for both.

I've haven't talked to anyone that actually likes the Fraulein stands. They're just overly long doll stands and a lot of people I know cut them down to shorten them. I don't mind the figma stands, though I did hate the peg holes at first. I really like that they've started using "L" extension so the stands can be at the side of the figures with long hair or large accessories on their back (like the K-On! figures). di:stages are very cool, I've got six of them, five black and a special one that came with Wonderfest Miku Hatsune. I also love that figmas now come with di:stage covers, unfortunately they don't have peg holes...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese History MAXIMUM Starring Norio Wakamoto

Yet you review the figures for Soichiro Hoshi & Kazuya Nakai.

It is a bishie-fest & I'm waiting patiently for the dvds. I might pick some of these guys up. We gals really don't get enough figures nice figures higher up than blind box level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1