• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMP CEO: New Venture to Launch 1,000+ Manga Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not into BL, this is an example of what more companies should be doing! Viz has been doing it for a while with Rumiko Takahashi's Rin-ne, and it's working! They pull the online version when the paperback releases in order to encourage sales, and it's a very good idea! Now if only someone would apply what they do with Rin-ne to Crunchyroll's broadcasts of Fairy Tail, make them available to own when they pull them...LOL sorry to be off topic...
domino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY. I've been waiting for a company to do this for years!

I can't believe it took publishers so long to realize that people who translate stuff for free would LOVE to do it legally and get paid for it. Start dangling cash in front of these translators and the number of people doing it for free elsewhere will dwindle.

I will happily participate! This is the kind of innovation the industry needs to find a balance with online communities.

I just hope that there is some kind of quality filter or that you can rate the work of each contributor so that the person who works the hardest on their translations will get the biggest cut of the sales...
Ahab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow! What a great piece of news!

My only hope is that BL proves successful enough to enable this system to branch to other genres within a fairly short time.

Oh, and if these are gonna be fan translations my only hope is there is some editing to remove all the "-Kun,-chan,-san,-sama" honorific shit because that has always pissed me off Evil or Very Mad
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
Oh, and if these are gonna be fan translations my only hope is there is some editing to remove all the "-Kun,-chan,-san,-sama" honorific shit because that has always pissed me off Evil or Very Mad

Actually if the cost of localization is low enough, people that need dumbed down translations without the honorifics could well have a translation to fit that preference.

Obviously given the way that many people who are dedicated fans appreciate the compact and neat way that the honorifics convey relationships that are assumed by Japanese readers because of the honorifics and therefore do not need to have spelled out for them in other ways in the script ... there are going to be translations with honorifics.

But drop the overhead costs of localization, and multiple translations are far more viable.
kayue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit ambivalent on this.

I applaud the idea. As a reader of BL, I've seen some groups put out translations that were vastly superior to some of the legal stuff that I've paid for. (And there are some translations that were... challenging to read.)

Where scanlation groups usually fail, it's in the scans. I've thought for a while that if there some way to combine the speed & quality of some groups with clean scans that you'd a a superior product that I'd be willing to pay for. (If it isn't the same $12-16 of the current print books)

On the other hand, I hope this doesn't drive other groups further underground. Some titles I expect would never make it into the American market. Sub-sub genres that have no mass appeal.
(Then again there have been some titles licensed that I thought would never be seen in the USA, Love Pistols & UGH)

Crossing my fingers that this works.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
What's this? Someone's finally listening? Forsooth!

Yeah, "finally". After, you know, a YEAR of work. And I'm sure other companies are working on their own plans as well.

Just because all contract negotiations aren't front paged on ANN it doesn't mean people aren't trying anything behind the scenes.
kushiel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
...so you have to pay for scanlations, and the scanlators may not get a cut.

Uh huh. I see a lot of support for this. See, the scanlators who do it to get a title out there out of love won't go for it because they feel people shouldn't pay for scanlations. And the scanlators who do it for the fame won't be happy that someone else will get the props and the money. The scanlators who do it as a big F-you to licensors/companies won't want to go legit. You are left with a small pool of scanlators who won't be able to do 'a thousand' titles unless they choose series that have already been scanlated or try to entice people to do series that normally would never get done.

And then if they do work out a cost sharing arrangement, I worry about the quality given that people will want to speed scanlate for money and the more obscure titles will get left out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Overall this is nice to hear. However I have a few concerns.

Will there be more than one fan translation of a single title?

Will there be a set amount of money divided among fan translators? (Like for example, only $1000 of the profit will be divided to fan translators)

How will this affect current professional translators? (Knowing that a lot of fans on the internet seem to have an irrational hate for pro translations)
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
If this quickly expands into other genres and has a monthly all access subscription, it definately sounds like something I would be interested in. Good luck DMP!
Ahab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Ahab wrote:

dumbed down translations without the honorifics

Theres nothing "dumbed down" about dropping honorifics. If anything, its just laziness on the part of the translator for not being able to convey the same relationship through their translations without copping out and using the "-kun" route.

In the English speaking world, we dont talk like that and, localization well done, would not see the need for honorifics.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Ahab wrote:

dumbed down translations without the honorifics

In the English speaking world, we don't talk like that and, localization well done, would not see the need for honorifics.
This isn't necessarily true, we do use honorifics, like Mr. President, or Dr. Jones or something like that. While Japanese has a lot of honorifics that go with it, English only has a very few honorifics even though they may not be considered honorifics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:

Official translations use honorifics as well you know, this isn't just a scanlation thing. And it does serve a purpose, English is a fairly informal language and the honorifics do the job that tone of voice normally does. It's just a culture thing that doesn't have a real counterpart here so they need to stay.
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:

I want the honorifics to stay depending on the location of the story of the manga. If it's in Japan than I want the honorifics to stay for cultural purposes but if the story takes place somewhere else than please, get rid of the honorifics.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Hn. It seems like a good idea, but I'm iffy on some aspects. It just seems like this might encounter some huge problems, especially with payments and scanlation groups. I don't read too much BL; if it all works out, I hope they expand.

shaggyglasses wrote:
Ahab wrote:

I want the honorifics to stay depending on the location of the story of the manga. If it's in Japan than I want the honorifics to stay for cultural purposes but if the story takes place somewhere else than please, get rid of the honorifics.

^This.
I never understood why people were so insistent that series taking place in Europe or North America or wherever keep them. Keeping honorifics would take away from a series in those cases, and it's almost distracting. "I've lived in Brazil my entire life, Sven-kun, so I do not know what Germany is like. Also, please grant my best wishes to Carmen-san." Blargh. (Please note that it's a generic example, not from any series.) However, if it's in Japan or some alternate universe with Japanese names, I think it's just helping to keep the cultural identity intact.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
This is GREAT news! Go DMP! Thanks for innovating and getting the manga to the fans legitimately and quickly!

BTW Domino... I'm with you in that Ponta can (PoT reference). Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5