• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMP CEO: New Venture to Launch 1,000+ Manga Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
now if only other manga companies would jump on this idea too. Fortunately, both of the manga series I'm buying just got finished, so I'm going to purchase all the volumes.
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
now if only other manga companies would jump on this idea too. Fortunately, both of the manga series I'm buying just got finished, so I'm going to purchase all the volumes.

I'm sure they will when or if this succeeds.
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm astonished this thread hasn't gone negative already. Oh, to have skipped the wank from TYR (which was an extension of the wank from Aarin)...

I'll put my two cents in again, though. I'm concerned about a couple things with this proposed project. First, I worry that DMP will turn into another Netcomics where they will never print another series I want print copies of again. I've already been burned on Roureville and Do Whatever You Want and I don't want to get three volumes into a print series only to have to rent it online to finish it. Second, I don't want them to simply be picking up already scanlated properties and asking people to start paying for them. I'm not going to start paying money for the same exact thing I have already consumed for free. It has to be "new" for me to be willing to start paying for it. That means either a new (professional) translation or a new format (ie, in print).

In addition, I don't see this going in a "monthly subscription" direction. It isn't going to be what Chrunchyroll does, it will probably be more like what eManga and Netcomics currently do: a free preview and then pay by the chapter or volume.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
So does this mean we'll finally get to read the final Ring Finger volume? Very Happy
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
So does this mean we'll finally get to read the final Ring Finger volume? Very Happy

Ugh, I don't think I could stand an online-only version of that title, particularly not one with a non-professional translation. It might make my brain explode. We finally got past those awful localizations from the first few novels. I'd hate to go back to that...
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I'm astonished this thread hasn't gone negative already. Oh, to have skipped the wank from TYR (which was an extension of the wank from Aarin)...

I heard about some of that. Someone flailing about how working on spec is so terrible? Even though it was something they were doing for free to begin with? =p
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
shaggyglasses wrote:
Ahab wrote:

Oh, and if these are gonna be fan translations my only hope is there is some editing to remove all the "-Kun,-chan,-san,-sama" honorific shit because that has always pissed me off Evil or Very Mad

I want the honorifics to stay depending on the location of the story of the manga. If it's in Japan than I want the honorifics to stay for cultural purposes but if the story takes place somewhere else than please, get rid of the honorifics.

^This.
I never understood why people were so insistent that series taking place in Europe or North America or wherever keep them. Keeping honorifics would take away from a series in those cases, and it's almost distracting. "I've lived in Brazil my entire life, Sven-kun, so I do not know what Germany is like. Also, please grant my best wishes to Carmen-san." Blargh. (Please note that it's a generic example, not from any series.) However, if it's in Japan or some alternate universe with Japanese names, I think it's just helping to keep the cultural identity intact.

I don't get why Heroman doesn't have Lina call Will by name. I mean, the dialogue in his first appearance establishes the relation well enough -- what, were they just worried about kids finding it too weird?
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:

I heard about some of that. Someone flailing about how working on spec is so terrible? Even though it was something they were doing for free to begin with? =p

*starts to twitch* Let's not start down that path all over again. Please...

Let's also not get into a whole thing about how DMP is some kind of evil corporation for trying to turn a profit on a commercial medium and how scanlators are some kind of noble entity stealing from the rich to give to the poor...
Navak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Ahab wrote:

Oh, and if these are gonna be fan translations my only hope is there is some editing to remove all the "-Kun,-chan,-san,-sama" honorific shit because that has always pissed me off Evil or Very Mad

Official translations use honorifics as well you know, this isn't just a scanlation thing. And it does serve a purpose, English is a fairly informal language and the honorifics do the job that tone of voice normally does. It's just a culture thing that doesn't have a real counterpart here so they need to stay.

One's use of English may be informal but the language itself is not "fairly informal".

An author's ability to convey tone via text, or a readers ability to pick up on the significance of certain word choices, reflects the author's, or reader's, abilities; it doesn't reflect the limitations of the language.

Yes, this may mean that a story would be structured in a manner different from its country of origin.

Does that then indicate an inherent formality gap between Japanese and English? No.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
To me it sounds like Crunchyroll for manga. This seems like a pretty cool idea depending on how the payment situation is handled. But I think its cool that the translators will be compensated for their works. Though I have to say I'm not thrilled about the initial line up being mostly BL manga. Then again they did say that they plan to expand into other genres as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Yaoi Review

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
giapet wrote:

*starts to twitch* Let's not start down that path all over again. Please...

Let's also not get into a whole thing about how DMP is some kind of evil corporation for trying to turn a profit on a commercial medium and how scanlators are some kind of noble entity stealing from the rich to give to the poor...

*clears throat* And I'm sure you were TOTALLY innocent in the wankery. *points to above* Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
And who said "crime doesn't pay" Rolling Eyes

vashthekaizoku wrote:
While I'm not into BL, this is an example of what more companies should be doing! Viz has been doing it for a while with Rumiko Takahashi's Rin-ne, and it's working! They pull the online version when the paperback releases in order to encourage sales, and it's a very good idea! Now if only someone would apply what they do with Rin-ne to Crunchyroll's broadcasts of Fairy Tail, make them available to own when they pull them...LOL sorry to be off topic...
Except when they go and region block it. Yeah, way to go global (not). Rolling Eyes No matter. This will fail as soon as the little tealeafs have to file a credit card detail. Laughing
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
I notice most of the titles that haven't been liscensed yet are BL- and BL has some amazing scanlators so I can see why that might be a start.

This is the third project I have heard of like this this week- crunchyroll and openmanga being the two others- so I think their focus on bl might have to do with the competition.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:15 am Reply with quote
Great idea, finally someone took a step in the right direction. There are some problematic points, though.

1. Is anyone going to profit off of this? I suppose yes, it wouldn't be worth it otherwise. So why is paying the scanlators only a possibility? I don't know who would be stupid enough to be okay with making a profit for someone else while not being properly paid for their work. After all, scanlation doesn't only mean translation, it's also scanning (or hunting down raws), cleaning, typesetting, etc. And if this project will have deadlines and whatnot... well, for the scanlators it's going to be a job, not a hobby. "A cut from sales"? Oh, come on.

2. Wait, sales? It's not going to be region-locked, is it?

3. I hope they'll have some sort of a quality check. Yes, there are awesome scanlator teams out there, but a lot of scanlated manga is translated from Chinese, or by people who don't really know Japanese (or English for that matter).

4. Are they going to provide scanlators with raws?
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
I've never read anything within that genre myself. I guess I should keep an open-mind?

From what I understand the BL genre is one of those genres that are very... genre. Like paper back murder mystery novels in the US. You either like it or you don't, with very little titles having crossover appeal to non-fans of the genre.

Another thing the BL genre is? Full of scanslation groups that are actual academics and professionals. ^_- Many BL scanslations are high quality, translated perfectly, and presented professionally-- they have to be - since perfection is a hallmark aesthetic of the genre.

Not all fandoms have the luxury of academics, language majors, and employed graphic artists in their scanslation groups - and I think this is why it might backfire a bit. The best of the groups aren't just a bunch of young fans on their computers all night working on scanslations. These groups are fans, and this is fan expression-- asking them to meet deadlines, and telling them they might get paid after royalties come in but nothing up front-- I don't see this working for most BL scanslation groups.

Good luck though! I think it might work with a few minor changes in their compensation portion of the plan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5