• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMP CEO: New Venture to Launch 1,000+ Manga Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
EXCELLENT. Very Happy
yblees

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Just checked, it's taken 8 days for this to break out into general news (aka.ANN).
Now, who thinks that's fast, or slow, in the manga/anime world?
Laughing Laughing

EDIT: Don't worry about region locks. DMP's eManga isn't region locked, and neither is Netcomics. I don't think any of the Korean or Japanese net-comics are region specific either.
The AV/DVD industry has different licensing rules from "book" publishers.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I think it's interesting to see publisher's experimenting with different ways of working in the industry. The idea of user-generated and collaborative content has worked well in some arenas (like Wikipedia), and it might work with this too. As a Computer Scientist, I've see tons of people writing plugins for free (a great example is Wordpress), whether it's for fun or just out of a general love for programming, and most plugin authors only asking for donations in return. So I can definitely see a basis that this idea can jumpstart from, and there's certainly a large enough scanlation community to get the ball in motion.

That said, there are some major problems I can see with this idea, some which mimic the same sorts of problems I've seen with online plugins.

For one, I think most scanlators have done their work out of a sense of charity to manga fans and the industry. Although DMP is approaching this as 'embracing of the existing fan culture', I think scanlator's may come to the realization that they've actually become 'cheap-as-free' labor for the publishing companies. In which case, why would a scanlator want to work practically for free when the publisher is going to turn around and take their translations and sell them for a profit? The whole 'charity' aspect is removed from the equation, and if these scanlator's get wind of what professional translators could very well be making for doing the same type of work, they might cry foul for the overall situation (which, in some cases, they may have unwittingly asked for). The plugin parallel I see here is that I don't think there'd be half as many free plugins written for Wordpress if Wordpress itself wasn't a free application, and certainly most contributor's on Wikipedia would cry foul if the Wikimedia Foundation wasn't a non-profit, charitable organization.

The other problem is quality control. How do you check that all of these groups are accurately or properly translating these works? I would think you'd wind up having to hire some professionals to check over the translation work anyways in the long run, and working with the anything-goes-schedules of scanlator's from around the world could be a headache. How would you hold the scanlator's liable for mistakes? Would you be able to keep them to a proper release schedule? The overall professionalism of these works could take a severe hit, with some works being translated very well, but others being done very poorly. These are problems I see with plugins all the time ~ the coders get tired, they can't release updates on a regular and reliable basis, life catches up with them, etc. How can you hold scanlators to professional business standards and not have them technically work for you?

Overall I think it's a risky business model. It will be interesting, though, to see how it plays out in the market.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
Just checked, it's taken 8 days for this to break out into general news (aka.ANN).
Now, who thinks that's fast, or slow, in the manga/anime world?
Laughing Laughing

From the blog post:
Quote:
DMP is working on a new ‘secret’ project for publishing more manga faster and cheaper than it is now.

ANN had to get confirmation to post it as news. Until the cofirmation, it was only an industry rumor.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

ANN had to get confirmation to post it as news. Until the cofirmation, it was only an industry rumor.

I don't really get why people keep saying that. Yes, when it was at Aarin, it was still a "rumor," but Jen at TYR exchanged e-mails herself with the president of DMP (at least twice) to get confirmations, days before (and by that I mean her first posting after hearing from him was 6/11) ANN posted the news article (on 6/17). Sure, for ANN they couldn't post it as "news" until they got their own confirmations, but that doesn't mean the information that Jen got wasn't news worthy. ANN isn't the only legitimate anime news website in the world, it's just that they're not AOL: they don't simply post other people's news as their own. They actually, well, get their own information from their own sources and report that. It doesn't make anyone else's news efforts any less valid.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
agila61 wrote:

... but Jen at TYR exchanged e-mails herself with the president of DMP (at least twice) to get confirmations, days before (and by that I mean her first posting after hearing from him was 6/11) ...

I'm not the one who said it was not general news until it hit ANN, that was Yblees. I was just pointing out that when ANN got wind of it, they sought confirmation from the CEO, and when they got the confirmation, they put up the news story.

Clearly, if DMP had been eager to get the story out earlier in the week, it would have been up earlier.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
For one, I think most scanlators have done their work out of a sense of charity to manga fans and the industry. Although DMP is approaching this as 'embracing of the existing fan culture', I think scanlator's may come to the realization that they've actually become 'cheap-as-free' labor for the publishing companies. In which case, why would a scanlator want to work practically for free when the publisher is going to turn around and take their translations and sell them for a profit?

This point was raised in the discussion of Erica Freidman's piece:
Dorota @ okazu wrote:
I just want to point out a little (pretty well documented) psychological effect. Can't remember who did the researches, so I can't drop any names or supply a bibliography.

It seems, that when you pay people (small amounts of) money, it totally shifts the perspective from "I do this hard work, because I love it" to "Why am I doing this hard work for mere peanuts?".
So maybe fan-translators are better left unpaid. I think they would still do it.
Web 2.0 already proved, that people will happily supply free content. The key is freedom, I think. If the creators or right-holders would get too picky about how exactly you can re-make their work, it could really spoil the enjoyment for everyone.
That's the biggest problem I see.

Quote:
The whole 'charity' aspect is removed from the equation, and if these scanlator's get wind of what professional translators could very well be making for doing the same type of work, they might cry foul for the overall situation (which, in some cases, they may have unwittingly asked for). The plugin parallel I see here is that I don't think there'd be half as many free plugins written for Wordpress if Wordpress itself wasn't a free application, and certainly most contributor's on Wikipedia would cry foul if the Wikimedia Foundation wasn't a non-profit, charitable organization.

Quote:
The other problem is quality control. How do you check that all of these groups are accurately or properly translating these works?

There are alternative strategies to try to cope with both of these, so its a good thing that there are multiple efforts to get this up and running, increasing the chances that one of them will come up with a successful system. DMP is likely to start with a larger flow of manga than OpenManga, but its possible that OpenManga will have a better understanding of what is needed to effectively tap volunteer work by what are presently scanlator groups.
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

I'm not the one who said it was not general news until it hit ANN, that was Yblees. I was just pointing out that when ANN got wind of it, they sought confirmation from the CEO, and when they got the confirmation, they put up the news story.

Clearly, if DMP had been eager to get the story out earlier in the week, it would have been up earlier.

No, what you said was that the news that TYR reported was an "industry rumor" until ANN "confirmed" it. What I said was that it was still "news," just not "news" that ANN was going to post on their own site without their own source. yblees was commenting humorously that it took a "mainstream" anime news site 8 days to "break" a story that was already circulated on a yaoi news site a week earlier. Not that I actually want to have an argument about it.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
No, what you said was that the news that TYR reported was an "industry rumor" until ANN "confirmed" it.

ANN has to treat it as industry rumor until they confirm it.

Quote:
yblees was commenting humorously that it took a "mainstream" anime news site 8 days to "break" a story that was already circulated on a yaoi news site a week earlier.

Yes, if ANN just reported what they'd heard without first checking it out, it would establish that ANN took eight days to hear about it. Maybe they did. It would be more interesting if the DMP CEO responded promptly to the email from the yaoi news site, because given their strategy, they didn't want to have the yaoi news site offside, while dithering over exactly how much they should release to ANN and how to phrase it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5