• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Akira Film Plans Get New Writer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
well, world's largest casting call for East Asian actors who can speak English, I guess. No studio would make a blockbuster where audiences have to read subtitles 90% of the time.

New film will likely be set in America but keeping the plot. Like post-apocalyptic America after some terrorist nukes or something.

... now that I come to think of it, there's a pretty good case you could make that, these days, setting the film in the US would be more authentic to the milleau of the original work than setting them in japan would be, what with the joint effect of the Lost Decade and the Great Recession.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

... now that I come to think of it, there's a pretty good case you could make that, these days, setting the film in the US would be more authentic to the milleau of the original work than setting them in japan would be, what with the joint effect of the Lost Decade and the Great Recession.

How exactly? Neo Tokyo looks closer a Japanese than an American metropolis (I know this sounds redundant). I'll say it again: I don't want Akira anything to do with America's war on terrorism in the 00's unless they rename it George, Osama or something like that.
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
I've lost all hope of Hollywood making a decent Anime adaption (with the exception of Speed Racer). I'm not going to see this, unless it's gets good reviews.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
nargun wrote:

How exactly? Neo Tokyo looks closer a Japanese than an American metropolis (I know this sounds redundant).

It's set in the future. You can make any place look like anything in the future.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It's set in the future. You can make any place look like anything in the future.

You don't really answer how setting Akira in the U.S. of A would make it more authentic.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This may have been beaten to death already, but just in case anybody missed it...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

You don't really answer how setting Akira in the U.S. of A would make it more authentic.

I didn't really ask the question. I just said it's possible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
_v_:
Quote:
but really, live-action anime adaptations in general were moving very slow...

Well, as I've noted before, it took ages for X-Men and Spider-Man to get off the ground.

Quote:
Barefoot Gen is having trouble getting backing for an HBO miniseries, and its an autobiographical account of a historical event.

Um, of course it's going to have trouble. Unless you want to count Avatar, how many anti-Iraq movies have done well? So why do you think a WW2 movie where we're guilt-tripped over the bomb would be a hit here? Hell, Slaughter-house 5 was probably one of the most well-known books of its era, and the movie adaptation probably came and went.

Quote:
Cowboy Bebop and other projects have problems, even Battle Angel -- which James Cameron *wants* to make and has stated his support for at recent major cons...has difficulty.

Cowboy Bebop's problem is Rothman is attached to it. And Battle Angel ain't happening, because Cameron knows he can't turn it into a tent-pole like his other disposable flicks.

Quote:
I mean, "Speed Racer" was underappreciated (it wasn't SUPPOSED to be "the next Matrix", it was just an adaptation of a show meant for small children; what did you expect?")

Well, it sucked even for children.

Quote:
but I must stress that "From Hell" in no way reflected the themes or basic quality of the acclaimed graphic novel by Alan Moore.

You can find rants about his adaptations on Youtube.

vash:
Quote:
If they want to make Akira that has any chance of improving on the anime, they need to include the whole series rather than a condensed version, and you'll need at least two movies to do it.

To me, if they can't condense it as well as Otomo, then they've already failed. [And yeah, I'm aware of Steamboy.]

Quote:
But you could find American analogues that keep the spirit intact.

Um, it'd be a 9/11 movie if they remade it. And I had enough problems with the idea when they went that direction with V for Vendetta.

Quote:
Otherwise... well, world's largest casting call for East Asian actors who can speak English, I guess.

Yeah, no one like that could possibly exist in L.A. or NYC. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
No studio would make a blockbuster where audiences have to read subtitles 90% of the time.

So what do you call CTHD and that Mel Jesus movie?

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kow626

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:

To be fair, the original graphic novel is practically unfilmable. Great, but unfilmable.

i can agree to an extent. the manga was just way too big and on such a humungous scale that for a live action movie to do it justice, it'd cost an incredible amount of money. advances in cgi could keep costs under control slightly but since there'd be so much of it, it'd be hard to justify anything under, i'd say, $150 mil. there's movies that cost equal or more that don't have what akira would need for it to be authentic.

i think an americanized version is just fine. it'd work. just because the manga was in japan don't mean a movie has to be. location isn't that relevant as long as it's a big city. i think new york is perfect. i think the director's are perfectly capable of delivering the goods provided they have the right script to work with. that's where the problems will come from. story quality and cost.

for them to do akira justice, i just don't see it being a cheap endeavor. there's just too much going on in that manga. 2 movies is the right way to go. about 2 to 3 hours each would suffice. the manga had a lot of pages but considering a script only utilizes a minute per page, they can get it done easily. most of it is visual anyway. i'm still looking forward to these movies as long as the original material is treated with respect.
darkmax

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I tink the film will do well in America, but outside of, it will suck. Akira was never as highly appreciated in Asia as it was in the US. So if they are banging on an international success, boy have they got to do more research.

Also considering how the the theatrical tickets are selling in US the last half year, it will be do better as a straight to video.

However, after saying that, I will watch it if it is well done. Never like the anime, the manga was much better.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, it sucked even for children.

Cool story, bro.

Here's the problem though. That's a subjective opinion, and if all you can respond with is that to define your stance then don't respond, because it adds nothing to the discussion and is borderline trolling. A lot of people liked the movie and it has achieved something of a cult status and got a lot of favorable reviews as well. I'm afraid just saying "well it sucks" doesn't add to this discussion and will only result in a looping "uh huh / nuh uh" argument that we can do without.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
kow: The anime movie alone was expensive for its time.

Quote:
i think an americanized version is just fine. it'd work. just because the manga was in japan don't mean a movie has to be. location isn't that relevant as long as it's a big city. i think new york is perfect.

Location's relevant for the context of the story. This isn't Ghost in the Shell, where the Japanese city is just where the story happens to take place. The city is actually part of the friggin' story in Akira.

Quote:
about 2 to 3 hours each would suffice.

If they can't whittle it down to two hours, it's going to suffer the same fate as Watchmen.

darkmax:
Quote:
I tink the film will do well in America, but outside of, it will suck. Akira was never as highly appreciated in Asia as it was in the US.

Um, are you kidding me? Akira put Kodansha on the map. The only way it won't do well overseas is if they screw it up like they did with DB:E.

Keonyn: That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. Otherwise, it'd do at least half as well as Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E that year. Hell, it didn't even do half as well as How to Train Your Dragon; and that film actually had enough good WOM to save it. So I'm guessing the only reason people like Speed Racer is it makes them feel "hip" again after over-hyping the hell out of the first Matrix and then having to defend the sequels.

On a related note, I think it's making me more wary finding out one of the Jonah Hex people is involved on Akira. Totally great film, guys. Rolling Eyes
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Keonyn: That isn't an opinion. That's a fact. Otherwise, it'd do at least half as well as Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E that year. Hell, it didn't even do half as well as How to Train Your Dragon; and that film actually had enough good WOM to save it. So I'm guessing the only reason people like Speed Racer is it makes them feel "hip" again after over-hyping the hell out of the first Matrix and then having to defend the sequels.

Opinions aren't fact, they're opinions. Box office and sales numbers also don't mean a damn thing, if they did then we better all find a new hobby because obviously Anime is some of the crappiest crap out there.

Also, this is not your "Ask GATSU How Much he Hates Western Media" thread, so stop trying to turn it in to one like you do nearly every other thread that ever so much as mentions western media or culture. Plus, your opinion of Speed Racer is completely irrelevant to Akira, and as I said, attempting to pass your opinion alone as the argument and that arguments support, and then claiming that your opinion is a fact and not an opinion is not only not adding to the discussion, but is also trolling.

So keep it on topic and try to actually contribute to the discussion of you'll quickly find you're no longer a part of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
How exactly? Neo Tokyo looks closer a Japanese than an American metropolis (I know this sounds redundant). I'll say it again: I don't want Akira anything to do with America's war on terrorism in the 00's unless they rename it George, Osama or something like that.

What? no, it's all about economics. See, Akira was created at the height of japan's bubble economy... but when you're at the height, everywhere you look you're looking down. So it's set in a time of fairly grim economic depression and stagnation, with free bonus social stratification and disenfranchisement.

And the context that Akira was created in has gone, now, in japan. The lost decade happened. But in the US stuff happened, what you've got in the US now more closely models what Akira was reacting to in Japan than modern-day japan does. Realer-than-real, sort of thing.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
nargun: I'm sorry but I still don't see what you're getting at. Do you mean that the 70's was a lost decade for the Japanese or do you mean that the 9/11 is the same as the explosionin Tokyo at the beginning of the series? I would probably have to disagree with you in both examples.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3