• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Translated Manga Scan Aggregator Removes 350+ Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrebMarkt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
For those interested in further readings and discussions:

http://www.du9.org/Threat-Assessment

http://www.tcj.com/hoodedutilitarian/2010/06/komikusu-—-introduction/

http://okazu.blogspot.com/2010/06/solution-to-solution.html

Note: There will more stuff posted along the week.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
There's no difference between somebody who only reads scanlations and somebody who buys products. They are still both "real" fans.

Drunk_Samurai wrote:
You're still a fan regardless if you buy the product or not.

Think about the words you are typing.
I do not really like The Rolling Stones. I don't believe I possess any of their music. There are some songs of theirs that aren't bad, in fact I probably enjoy Sympathy for the Devil & Satisfaction. If I wanted to, I'd buy those cds or maybe just the songs.
This is the difference.
I love Alice Cooper. I've paid to see him in concert. I am a fan.
I liked Poison. I bought their cds. I never paid to see them in concert because I wasn't that much a fan I deemed them worthy of that much of my money. I supported the cd, but not the live show. Kiss, I saw in concert & bought the cds.

I don't have to buy every movie I see in the theater on dvd. I don't have to see every movie I buy on dvd in theaters.

See the pattern?
There's a big dif between doing something for free & actually spending one's money on it.
One might be hungry, but stopping off at the fast food vs "I can wait until I get home & save my money" is a more realistic picture of just how hungry you are.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Going along with the above, readers of manga should KNOW how often you read something along the lines of the mangaka writing out "thank you for your your SUPPORT!". What does "support" mean? Well, in other words, it's a nicer way of saying "thank you for sticking with me and buying my products!" The mangakas are greatful that they are making sales, while doing the career they love! So whenever you hear something like "thank the FANS for all their SUPPORT" it means "thank you for all those that have bought my product".

...think about it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

4) They would still be fans.

"A fan , aficionado or supporter is someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking of a sporting club, person, group of persons, company, product, work of art, idea, or trend. Fans of a particular thing constitute its fanbase or fandom. They may start a fan club, hold fan conventions, create fanzines, write fan mail, or engage in similar activities. " Nowhere does it say you have to buy the product in order to be a fan.

If your not willing to pay 10 bucks for the work than I would hardly say that is "overwhelming liking" of a person. I am a fan of Ken Akamatsu, I buy his work, I am a fan of Hiromu Arakawa I buy her work, I am not a fan of Tite Kubo, I don't buy his work. See the difference?

The problem is that while 100,000 of people "like" anime only about 10,000 like it enough to buy it regulary. The result is that their is no money to be made, and frankly I don't see how anime can survive.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
LOL! THEY GOT MANGAFOX?!?! Thank god, lol here I thought it was gonna someone like...

Er I mean, OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Not Mangafox!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8