• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! All Scanlations, All The Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewtwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Just found a Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray/DVD combo for $30 on eBay.

trunkschan90 wrote:
I love the Cyborg 009 series, I wish Sony would just give us the blasted boxsets already.

Don't hold your breath. The closest the 2001 series ever got to a decent release that was that 2-disc, 8-episode "uncut" set with ugly-ass artwork several years ago (which is still pretty cheap on Amazon, as it turns out). Sony doesn't quite "get" anime TV series releases, it seems.
Scirel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Just found a Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray/DVD combo for $30 on eBay.

trunkschan90 wrote:
I love the Cyborg 009 series, I wish Sony would just give us the blasted boxsets already.

Don't hold your breath. The closest the 2001 series ever got to a decent release that was that 2-disc, 8-episode "uncut" set with ugly-ass artwork several years ago (which is still pretty cheap on Amazon, as it turns out). Sony doesn't quite "get" anime TV series releases, it seems.

Like their 25 episode sets of Blood+ going for $100 each. LOL
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
People, I bring you cheap copies of Wings of Honnemaise.

http://www.rarepcgames.com/index.cfm?action=item&id=305294
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Oh my GOD! It's so awesome to see another Mahoraba fan!

The anime is awesome, and the manga is even better! It had such a nice, warm feel to it. I first saw it in either late '06-early'07, and thought that someone would surely license it. In my mind, this would be a series that fans of something like Fruits Basket would enjoy.

....I'm still waiting for it. Anime cry
rainwithsunshine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
Mahoraba~! I'm glad, too, to see another fan. I have faith that it will be release here eventually, but no telling when. Fingers crossed? Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
It appears that nobody has yet mentioned Madman's R4 DVD release of The Wings of Honneamise. It is affordable, and US importers will not have to pay any tax on obtaining it.

Matters of region coding and picture format may create problems in this case, but considering how simple it is to overcome such issues I find it inadequate to use these as an excuse not to import. (After all, we have to deal with them all the time.) The DVD cover is reversible in this case, so no censor label needs appear on the spine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
One thing Bandai Visual did right was their Patlabor movie releases.

Each movie was available on separate DVD or in a box with a book about each movie plus the full translated storyboards. As far as I have been able to determine the first time any complete storyboard script had been published in the US. The printing on the books is of excellent quality and so crisp the small text is readable to most eyes. The books were printed in Japan were printing extremely crisp text is the norm given the complexity of many kanji.

One thing they did not do well was assume anime fans would be willing to pay as much ($89.98) for the box sets, which were actually reasonably priced compared to similar box sets for live action movies. If you like the Patlabor movies these box sets are worth getting and easy to find at good discounts.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
That 009 comic is so cute and funny. I've never seen the show- which is kind of the point- but it's a bit frustrating to know that it's so hard to come by.

I am a little tired of all the scanlation talk, but it'll be really interesting to see where all this goes; I'm looking forward to reading next week's Answerfans to find out what everyone thinks about that.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I really wish I could find a good, affordable release of Wings of the Honneamise, too. The recent AWO podcast gave me a real desire to rewatch that movie. I guess I can always blow the dust off of my VHS copy and try to tolerate the English dub.

I remember borrowing a copy of that from my local comic book store back in the late 80s -- probably a 3rd or 4th generation VHS copy of what I'm guessing was a laser disc. I'm afraid a lot of it was lost on me, as a teen, with the exception of the appreciating the art and finding the singing a bit stirring.

I had the nagging feeling I'd missed out, but hell, I was still living at home then and there were higher priorities. And sadly, I've never actually sat down and watched the whole thing myself all the way through. I keep catching part of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oh Bandai Visual/Honneamise, you and your expensive releases with subpar video quality for DVDs. I've seen R2 rips and the legit physical R1 DVDs of Gunbuster, and boy were they not good.

!??! They looked like the exact same encode to me!

The R2 rips looked sharper, and the DVDs had bright white line going down the left side of the picture. And yes, they were the real DVDs, borrowed from a university library. As they often buy Criterion things as well, this is in the same vein for them. I'm sure their other releases are fine, but not Gunbuster's boxset.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:

The closest the 2001 series ever got to a decent release that was that 2-disc, 8-episode "uncut" set with ugly-ass artwork several years ago (which is still pretty cheap on Amazon, as it turns out).

Heh, I got that for $1.50 at a HEB in Brownsville, TX this past January Very Happy They had a ton of those in their video bargain bin. Still haven't watched it yet. I thought it was the original series, but I just checked, and it is the newer one.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Love the Cyborg 009 comic! And I'm so happy to see so many other people lamenting the lack of legal releases for the series. I still maintain some hope that Sony will release the rest of the 2001 series, cause a girl can dream, right?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I do, though, take issue with one thing you mentioned: That it's "stupid" to shut down those sites without immediately offering something similar in it's place. Uh, no. That's not stupid at all. They don't "owe" you or anyone else something similar.

Sounds stupid enough to me. It's not about owing anybody, it's about profit. Why try to destroy a market that you could be converting into sales? It's a missed opportunity.

(On the subject of 'owing nothing', though: skipping the last 4 episodes of a long-running series sounds like a genuine betrayal to me, nonetheless Razz).
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Brian Hanson wrote:

Well, see, that falls into that nice little "gray area" that also encompasses fansubs of shows like Legend of Galactic Heroes and the like. Properties that have a definitive and strong following in the West, but are considered "too old" to be considered profitable in today's shrunken, competitive anime and manga market. I'm not asking you to "wait patiently for the legitimate release," because there isn't one; and from the looks of it, there probably won't be one for Mahoraba in the foreseeable future.

Good luck telling that to the mouth-breathing neckbeards here.. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by rockman nes on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
<nonsense>
So, you are claiming that the audience for Maharaba and LotGH are narutards? Everyone I know that has even seen / read those doesn't give two sh*ts about Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult the people who read good manga, or trying to insult the mangaka of good series themselves. Jesus, man; believe it or not, not everyone likes teen shounen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6