• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Dribbling Eastward

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole mentions that Giant Killing is cheaply animated and I have to ask, aren't all football anime like that? One of the greatest obstacles for sports anime is to show several characters moving at the same time. Individual sports shows like Ashita no Joe, Hajime no Ippo, and Ace wo Narae are much better suited for the limited animation of a TV program. The only exception is baseball which benefits from being static (great for internal monologues) with moments of explosion.

One of the things I like about Giant Killing is the clever usage of CG in the anime. If animating several people at the same time is a challenge by itself, crowds were always mission impossible. From the shows I've seen, you'd most of the time get that static crowd painting together with the sound of chanting. I was surprised with how well the faceless CG crowds (kinda like the ones in EA's FIFA Soccer) melded into the show. IMHO, CG is the key to unveil the true potential of team sports. I've never watched Basquash, but I'd say that animation-wise this is probably the way to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3