• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Aya Hirano to Use Twitter for 1 Day Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
I don't understand why voice actors in Japan think they are so important, meh.

Voice actors in the US are just normal people, and most of their attempts at singing are mediocre at best. I would assume it isn't much different in Japan.

Plus I don't even watch Japanese dubs, never even heard of most of them...

I have never understood it either. All they are are voice actors and occasional singers. I hate to say this, but being a voice actor isn't a ultra elite job that only certain people can do. Anyone can do it, for better or worse.

Yet in the United States, voice actors are just normal regular people and occasionally sing theme songs.

I also never watch Japanese dubs and to be frank, most of them I probably never even heard of before.

Meichuu: Very suspicious and that tells me that it's likely Aya Hirano isn't writing the tweets. It's either some random person or her manager.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
neggiimmaa wrote:
Araki wrote:
I'm so excited...NOT!

On the contrary im rather content of this piece of news maybe its just me however i don't get what's all the hate on Twitter its just a website

That's like saying Google is "Just a search engine" or that Evangelion is "Just a mecha anime". As to the hating, it's because it's insanely popular, but generally full of vapid content. There are some people worth getting updates from, Neil Gaiman would be a good example.

Back to being on topic, despite my negatively-toned explaination I think it's an excellent marketing tool. People on here are saying that only people who were already going to buy the album are going to follow it, but what if the 10,000 people who follow it each send it to 10 people? It's cheap as free and has the potential to pay off, the definition of a good ad campaign.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:

Back to being on topic, despite my negatively-toned explaination I think it's an excellent marketing tool. People on here are saying that only people who were already going to buy the album are going to follow it, but what if the 10,000 people who follow it each send it to 10 people? It's cheap as free and has the potential to pay off, the definition of a good ad campaign.

That's a big "what if?" And Twitter generally doesn't get huge numbers. Some of the most successful Twitters get far greater numbers with podcasts or TV shows. Even the dumbest YouTube videos can get 10,000 people. She could just as easily have posted a video on YouTube and attracted new fans.

Of all the ways to market oneself on the Internet, Twitter is not very practical. For example, here's (an old) list of the top podcasters.
1. Kevin Rose 61,666 (following 102)
2. Leo Laporte 54,763 (following 491)
3. John C. Dvorak 29,321 (following 669)
4. Adam Curry 6,334 (following 183)
5. Kent Nichols 5,559 (following 5,427)
6. Mignon Fogarty 4,214 (following 779)
7. Scott Sigler 2,387 (following 1,424)
8. Scott Johnson 2,209 (following 70)
9. Todd Cochrane 2,082 (following 2,032)
10. J. C. Hutchins 1,952 (following 200)

Once you get past the top three it drops dramatically. Their podcasts get much better numbers.
Seymour85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, I don't see the harm in her doing a day long twitter if she wants. If there are people willing to follow it then that's great for them.

It's not doing anyone any harm, life goes on for everyone else. No big deal, let's find something else to worry about.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
If some kind hearted person has the time, would they mind translating her tweets? I'm actually very interested in them, and I'm a huge Aya fan btw... Also, I thank you kindly, to anyone that is up to the task!!

As of 10:14 AM (Japan time) she has 18 Tweets, from the bottom up (anything in parentheses are my comments/clarifications):

1. It's Aya. Please look forward to tomorrow's sale (referring to the single).

2. I posted my pic (referring to the Twitter avatar I assume). It was SO BIG (her emphasis) so it had to be compressed.

3. Even though I started this about 20 minutes ago, I already have followers! Amazing!

4. Tomorrow at about noon in Akiba (Akihabara) will something happen!! ?

5. Morning (as in "Good morning"). Well, I guess I'll get prepared / start my day (this was posted at about 7 or 7:30 AM in Japan, so she seems to have just gotten up)

6. Oh my...When I woke up it had crossed over 10,000!! (referred to the number of followers). Thank you!

7. Everyone replies so fast!! That's amazing, that's amazing. I'm so happy! (I believe she's surprised that people are replying now, despite it being still pretty early when she tweeted this - around 7 or 7:30 AM)

8. Hey, hey, do all of you (her followers) always wake up around this time? (again, around 7 or 7:30 AM)

9. I see. That's right, it's because today is a weekday (referring to her previous tweet). I wonder if everyone (of her followers) is going to come to Akiba.

10. Aya (referring to herself in the third-person) gets up at about 7 AM. Sometimes I get up around 6:30, and those days I check the recording again (don't really know what she's referring to). I'm so prone to worrying.

11. Everyone has work or school, so you don't have to force yourself to come, okay? (referring to coming to Akihabara to see her). At the discretion of each of you...I'm sorry that it's a weekday. Starting from 12 PM, I think it'll last an hour...?

12. I'm also sorry for those who live far away (from Akihabara/Tokyo). Before I realized it was already this time (probably close to 8 AM by this time). I'm going to take a bath now!

13. When I got out of the bath, I was a little exhausted and slept a little. Going to eat breakfast.

14. Today's breakfast is, mango and soybean yogurt. Recently, I'm been on a diet of eating fruit for breakfast.

15. Hmm...the mango seeds are clogging the garbage disposal...hmm. I've become chubby lately! I've been spoiling my body, and I wasn't able to do any weight training, so it suddenly turned bad!

16. It's now over 11,000 (her followers). Yay! I know how to use emoticons by looking at what all of you write (or something like that, kind of difficult to translate). Thanks. I'll be leaving home soon.

17. Ah, thanks for worrying about my health.

18. I'm putting on make-up. (After this she uses the ending expression なぅ (nau), but I don't know what it means.) <-- This is the first time I've used 'nau'.

And that's all for now. Hope you enjoyed this look into Aya's life.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Classic example of a bad use of Twitter. Complete waste.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:

That's a big "what if?" And Twitter generally doesn't get huge numbers. Some of the most successful Twitters get far greater numbers with podcasts or TV shows. Even the dumbest YouTube videos can get 10,000 people. She could just as easily have posted a video on YouTube and attracted new fans.

Hmmm, it's not the same though with a video (Requires a production crew for one thing). Like, from the recently translated posts (Thanks Juhachi!) it shows that she's actually kinda normal. So, to use a hypothetical scenario to make my case: Let's say there's a late teens highschool girl who has a good sized circle of friends who acts like she likes Aya just for her music, but secretly really loves Aya because of the various anime she's been in, and subsequently enjoys her other merchandise, but she's never been able to get her friends into it because, lets say, they think all those Seiyuu's are kinda weird, and only super-nerdy boys are into them. Maybe the Twitter thing would allow her to say "see, she's normal and does the kind of stuff we all do!" She probably wouldn't convince them to go to Akiba, but she might convince them to check out the Single.

Just sayin' it's a possibility.
se7en-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
lol @ the pessimistic bunch

while some of you might say 'what's the hype' about seiyūs in Japan its because they are treated differently compared to VA in US - like real actors or celebrity for instance specially Aya who's popularity is massive.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Her face... seriously though, you'd have to have some ego to make an event out of your twitter posts, especially when Shoko Nakagawa posts on her blog like every freaking hour.

Patachu wrote:
LordRobin wrote:
Seriously, can you imagine a mainstream Japanese pop idol being allowed to interact directly with fans, with no oversight?

Yes I can; there was the time Mayu Watanabe commandeered one of AKB48's sub-accounts and shit just got weird.

could you possibly translate this?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Yes I can; there was the time Mayu Watanabe commandeered one of AKB48's sub-accounts and shit just got weird.

could you possibly translate this?

In respective order:

"That's right!! It's Mayuyu!!!! Ireeeeeeeieiipeoprjfueo[random striking of keys etc.]"
"Shuuuuuuuuuuuuukannnnnnnnn Plaaaaaaaaaayboooooooooyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!"
"I just tweeteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed ^^^^"
"Yahoo! \(^ o ^)/ It's Mayuyu ^▽^ Getting into Twitteeeeeeeer!!! Yaaaaaay!!!!! Follow me!! Yay!!! High tension!!!!nnnnn!!!"

Yeah, that one definitely got past the managers/handlers.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

Exactly. No one cares what you had for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack. Everyone eats and to be frank, it's not that important to tell others.

So you took a bath? Whoppe freaking do! Guess what? So do millions of other people. Your taking a damn bath, not writing the constitution or curing cancer.

Going to sleep and waking up? This may very well shatter some people's minds, but so did I yesterday. And guess what, so does any living being that is alive. Really, is that even worth talking about?

Seriously, how do people waste time writing useless events like this? Is there even a fan base for this pointless trivia? Are some people really that eager to know the date, time and second that you ate lunch etc? I don't have a Twitter account and I never will.

I seriously just don't understand some people these days anymore. What's next, telling complete strangers when you used the bathroom next and or what time you woke up? Really, with all this advanced technology, instead of doing something somewhat productive some of us are doing the complete opposite. Worse of all, it's utterly pointless for the most part.
sash2501

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Although it mentioned Aya was allowed to use only for one day, numbers of subscribers made the difference of wether if people want Hirano Aya to Tweet or not.

I don't understand why some would have a problem with tweeter, anyone can use it and when seiyuus use it, its a big deal.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

Really. See, this could have been a chance to see some neat tidbits. It's okay to say "Walking home in the heat was a drag" or "I'm off to make blueberry muffins!" or whatever, but I don't see the point in mentioning when you eat, when you bathe, and when you sleep. I'll occasionally write something like "Bored. Staring at a tree outside my window" or "Got to sleep in for once", but not every day (or even week) and nothing to the extent of cataloging a life.

But, to be honest, I only made a Twitter account to ask Yen Press a question. Now I just use it for random updates (...every few days), to enter contests/giveaways, and to ask companies questions. Yeah.
meichuu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
se7en- wrote:
lol @ the pessimistic bunch

while some of you might say 'what's the hype' about seiyūs in Japan its because they are treated differently compared to VA in US - like real actors or celebrity for instance specially Aya who's popularity is massive.

I'm not sure if she's considered to be on the same level as a celebrity in Japan. Looking at her anime and non-anime roles in the encyclopedia, she hasn't really done anything that would appeal outside of anime fans and gamers. She might have a huge following among those people, but beyond that, I don't think Aya is that well-known on a national level. (As I noted earlier, it seems that a lot of her followers on Twitter are anime fans.)
sonickid101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Wow, how entirely pointless.

that sums it up, I just cant think of anything better to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4