• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Infinite Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the Quantum Leap crowd representing!

Usually whenever I mention that show I get about as many blank stares as I do when mentioning Seaquest.

The ending of the former is the perfect example of what is wrong with western TV (keep producing more episodes and come up with some loose story either episodically or by season until you get cancelled, without enough advanced notice to produce a REAL ending) while the latter is the perfect example of jumping so many sharks that it aint even the same show anymore...

If there is one thing I like about anime, it is that it has a planned story arc with a planned duration and a planned ending (with the exception of long-running shonen shows of course), and when the ending is reached it is DONE. Yeah, next season you may get a sequel/prequel or something, but in case the show does NOT get high enough ratings to come back, at least you got A REAL ENDING...

Oh yeah, the video games...

As someone who has been waiting for Golden Sun 3 since 2 came out, the news that I might FINALLY get to play it this year (the better part of a decade after the 2nd one..) makes my day. And gives me hope for an eventual Shenmue 3.... That being said, if the last boss is not a 4-headed dragon, forums will be flamed!! Twisted Evil
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was going to call this column 'Infinite Breast' but by God, I still have a shred of dignity.

Name it as you so desire. I warn thee however; we undignified masses dote upon being pandered to. A lapse of refinement shall win you our attention without fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
PARASITE EVE'S 3RD BIRTHDAY STANDS OUT

Apparently not enough to get a console release. A shame, too, because I absolutely loved the Parasite Eve games. The first took a little getting used to, but the second made the game greater by removing the idiotic turn-based attacks.

They should release this under the Parasite Eve name, because fans have been wanting a 3rd game for a very, very, very long time. I'm one of them.

As for the other games... meh. Nothing really jumps out at me.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Parasite Eve may be the one to force me to buy a PSP. I loved those games.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Just a small point; you can tell by so much as a single screenshot that Disgaea infinite isn't a visual novel. Nor does the description sound anything like one.
Quote:
...animated character sprites..
...the Prinny's soul can jump characters any time...

VNs are srictly no interaction except multiple choice questions (& save/load, maybe some sidenotes).
They have to be writen as a novel rather than as a script (normaly over whole screen rather than in a box like that)
Don't think any have images other than stills either (excepting OP movie)
Still an adventure game tho', which to most of us makes little difference what type of adventure game it is.

I wouldn't call it a "pure" visual novel, having played it, but I would still count it as one. To address your points:

-Multiple choice questions
Yeah, I know it says that you can "possess characters", but all you're doing is changing your point of view slightly and occasionally making a choice for that character to do. You have to press a button to do so, yes, but it's a fairly standard "which of these 3 choices do I want" menu.

-Text over the whole screen
I've seen/played VNs that are like that, but most of the ones I've seen have text in a box near the bottom.

-Images other than stills
I think you're a bit confused by the "animated sprites". It's pretty much what you'd expect from a VN, with there being a picture of the character that changes slightly based on which emotion they're displaying. Some are slightly animated, but nothing too unusual. If they really want to show something physical, they'll just use the sprites from the Disgaea games and show the characters moving around.

Though, overall, I'd have to say that you certainly don't play it like a VN. It's fun, but it's repetitive and you have to try random things most of the time. Todd summarized it well, so there's not much point in me describing it much beyond that.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Aya [Brea] makes 90% of women in videogames look like a bunch of idiotic, oversexualized bimbos.

I flove this.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
While I don't plan on buying it, as long as the content of the game is uncensored (in reference to Trauma Team) I don't really care what they do to the cover. Though a reversible or mail-away replacement is always appreciated in these cases Smile
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Nice to see the Quantum Leap crowd representing!

Usually whenever I mention that show I get about as many blank stares as I do when mentioning Seaquest.

Its nice to see another person who watched Seaquest. I watched Quantam Leap as well though its been long I don't recall much about either.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
While I don't plan on buying it, as long as the content of the game is uncensored (in reference to Trauma Team) I don't really care what they do to the cover. Though a reversible or mail-away replacement is always appreciated in these cases Smile
I was planning on getting this if it were not for Sin & Punishment 2.

And YES!!! Etrian Odyssey 3 has been announced for September.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
Every week, I look forward to new mouseover text for the pictures. Of course, I also read the reviews and everything, and I enjoy Todd's authorial stylings, but...the mouseover text is just the whipped cream on the sundae~
Haha same here! Sometimes if I'm having a busy week and don't get time to read the article, I'll just go through and look at all the captions. Laughing Todd is hands-down my favorite writer on ANN.

Primus wrote:
Anyways, Ninokuni (The Other World), Level-5's game for the DS that was developed with Studio Ghilbi has finally announced its second platfrom... the PS3! The game looks incredible.
Seriously!? That's such great news! I love my DS and all, but a game with animation by Ghibli is just meant to be played on the big screen.

In regards to Disgaea Infinite, I don't think it's really for me. I love adventure games, but Disgaea's humor seems like it would get old way too quick. It works great in the short bursts between battles in the regular games, but I don't think I'd enjoy a whole game based around it.

Definitely looking forward to finally playing Sin and Punishment 2 though! I'm a huge Treasure fan.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow... What a difference in covers, in reference to Trauma Center. I'm particularly loving the Japanese version, it's gorgeous!
What a pity it wasn't used...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
Wow... What a difference in covers, in reference to Trauma Center. I'm particularly loving the Japanese version, it's gorgeous!
What a pity it wasn't used...

Because the Wii still envision's itself as a "family" console. Laughing
(Some violence notwithstanding; American's don't care about that.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
And as a family console, it's working brilliantly, just like the NES some 25 years ago.

I'd think the Japanese cover would be more easily open to misinterpretation, not in the form of it being a sex game or anything, but that it doesn't really describe what the game is about. You have various shots of the characters, but it feels like the cover assumes you already know who they are. Even the prominent display of the word "Hospital" tells me nothing. If I weren't already familiar with the series, I'd have thought it's about soap-opera style relationships rather than, well, doing surgery. That is, I get the impression, "You are either a hospital worker or a patient. You'll be having relationships with all sorts of people there. Hopefully you won't have too many painful breakups along the way."

The American cover, with the coat on Dr. Stiles and the formal to semi-formal clothes on everyone else and the medical crosses all around tell me, "You'll be playing as a doctor. Your job is to help patients." I'm sure the decrease in cleavage there is due to some meddling going on, but it does give her a more professional look.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Definately interesting of the new contra game. haven't seen one since Neo Contra and Shattered Solider (which in my view is equal with Hard Corps)

However is Barhamut the guy that had the mutt for a head and a Cyborg arm? Or is it that Col who was the villian for the original Hard Corps. If so this prequel might explain why he became a villian in hard corps.

thought I really hope that it's not a PSN exclusive since i only have a PS2. it would be great if it's released for the PS2 since sony is not retiring it anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
Aya [Brea] makes 90% of women in videogames look like a bunch of idiotic, oversexualized bimbos.

I flove this.

Heh Can't help but agree..In other news I have Trinity Universe pre-ordered and it shipped yesterday I look forward to playing it. A friend of mine got Disgaea Infinite personally I didn't find it that interesting but maybe it's cause it feels like they stretched the Disgaea franchise a bit with this spin-off.(That and all 3 games are still in my backlog of games..)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3