• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Infinite Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:

I wouldn't call it a "pure" visual novel, having played it, but I would still count it as one. To address your points:

Yes, I meant "pure" VN(eg Fate Stay Night) not an AVG (e.g. CLANNAD)
Quote:

-Multiple choice questions
Yeah, I know it says that you can "possess characters", but all you're doing is changing your point of view slightly and occasionally making a choice for that character to do. You have to press a button to do so, yes, but it's a fairly standard "which of these 3 choices do I want" menu.

But having any form of interaction whatsoever except question options means it won't play anything like a VN.
Quote:

-Text over the whole screen
I've seen/played VNs that are like that, but most of the ones I've seen have text in a box near the bottom.

They're probably not a VN then.
Quote:
Still an adventure game tho', which to most of us makes little difference what type of adventure game it is.
You have adventure games and VN confused. There was a reason I wrote that.

Tho' it sounds like it's fairly interactive probaly overly so, hence needing to replay endlessly. I assume random brute force which character you are at a given point (it just sounds like it's going to be like that).
I disliked Phonix Wright for giving way too many options the (at times randomly) chose one of these 20 items to present. It can get realy irritating, why I prefer VNs as that can't ever happen. They suceed in taking away the bit that can be horribly annoying.
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:

I disliked Phonix Wright for giving way too many optons the (at times randomly) chose one of these 20 items to present. It can get realy irritating, why I prefer VNs as that can't ever happen. They suceed in taking away the bit that can be horribly annoying.
I'm the opposite. I like being given options that are relevant instead of being forced or guided into the story. If I just wanted that, I wouldn't be playing a game. I would just be playing another melodramatic and sappy anime (as with the case of almost all visual novels).
sfried

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Definately interesting of the new contra game. haven't seen one since Neo Contra and Shattered Solider (which in my view is equal with Hard Corps)
You haven't heard of Contra 4 for DS?

I'm saddened not more people here are talking about Sin & Punishment 2. The game even has dual-language options. This is perhaps the best Star Fox 64 substitute, if not the best rail-shooter ever made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3