• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Removes 3 Manga Volumes from Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I should buy all the copies of this manga and give them to my brother for his birthday, I can hear the screaming now.

"What the f**k man!?"
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
I should buy all the copies of this manga and give them to my brother for his birthday, I can hear the screaming now.

"What the f**k man!?"

I am so glad that Zac just banned this guy...

CSSYueh wrote:
It's not "gay"
It's Harlequin Romance with 2 guys instead of a girl & a guy.

Um... isn't that the definition of gay? In know, he was probably using it in the mean "gay = bad" way, but seriously, if it's two guys in love, that makes it gay. Ain't nothing wrong with that. At all. Heck, you may be right, these books may even be really good.

But come on, admit it, Gay's Anatomy is a hilariously absurd title. If it were a straight couple involved and the title was equally as humorous, we'd be making jokes too. Smile
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

"What the f**k man!?"

I am so glad that Zac just banned this guy...

CSSYueh wrote:
It's not "gay"
It's Harlequin Romance with 2 guys instead of a girl & a guy.

Um... isn't that the definition of gay? In know, he was probably using it in the mean "gay = bad" way, but seriously, if it's two guys in love, that makes it gay. Ain't nothing wrong with that. At all. Heck, you may be right, these books may even be really good.

But come on, admit it, Gay's Anatomy is a hilariously absurd title. If it were a straight couple involved and the title was equally as humorous, we'd be making jokes too. Smile

i would wager the original poster was making a distinction between "gay" manga, as in manga written mainly by gay men for gay men, usually featuring more muscular, manly guys and "yaoi" manga, as in manga written mainly by straight women for straight women, usually featuring incredibly feminine men in completely unrealistic man-on-man relationships that in no way reflect on actual homosexual lifestyles or practices.

Example: Gay manga. Guy A goes up to Guy B and says, hey, we're at a gay bar. Yaranaika? And then they bang.
Yaoi manga. High School Boy A goes up to High School Boy B and says, I have always loved you from afar, and Boy B says, but we're both boys, and then Boy A rapes Boy B and Boy B is like, well, I'm so glad you raped me, because it made me realize I love you and I'm not actually gay but as long as it's you it's okay so let's go frolic and hold hands.

(For the record, I actually like yaoi, but I'm also painfully aware of how stupid it is sometimes.)
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:

Yaoi manga. High School Boy A goes up to High School Boy B and says, I have always loved you from afar, and Boy B says, but we're both boys, and then Boy A rapes Boy B and Boy B is like, well, I'm so glad you raped me, because it made me realize I love you and I'm not actually gay but as long as it's you it's okay so let's go frolic and hold hands.

Hahaha! This is so true. It's what bothers me most about yaoi. I also don't mind yaoi in general; but I hate how usually one guy will deny he's gay, and there is frequently rape... but it's not... somehow, because they secretly enjoy it? That just bugs me to no end.

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
And the titles, Gay's Anatomy? It's a ridiculous title, but also one I find offensive toward gays.

How is this title offensive at all? My gay friends were the ones who found this most hilarious.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my point is yaoi isn't really aimed at the homosexual audience. It's basically shojo with 2 guys & yeah, I mean one of the guys seems basically a girl with male plumbing. A handful of authors seem to try to grasp the actual concept of "same sex", but overall, it's "I love you because I love you, but I'm not actually attracted to any other man". We even see a common plot that one of the guys has a girlfriend or a chain of girlfriends (which makes the other guy insecure. I can't remember how many times I've seen the "You'll leave me for a woman to make grandchildren for your parents!" line thrown in for melodrama).
Very rarely is there any attempt to actually get into a guy's head. I can think of maybe 4 or 6 authors I feel have some sort of grasp of the male thought process. Even some attempting to portray the "gay lifestyle of multiple partners" seem more an exercise in writing about what it's like to be a fish or some other sort of being the author has never been.
I think Bara is the stuff aimed at guys. I do know there are actual magazines in Japan with the ML label meaning Men's Love aimed at guys. BL is the current moniker for yaoi in Japan representing Boys Love aimed at females (Boys as in the Beatles being referred to as lovable moptopped boys into their 20's. It doesn't mean underage) My understanding is there are some gay guys who read yaoi, but it's usually with reservations because it's not an accurate representation of homosexual relationships or homosexual life.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
It doesn't mean underage) My understanding is there are some gay guys who read yaoi, but it's usually with reservations because it's not an accurate representation of homosexual relationships or homosexual life.

I happen to read the occasional yaoi manga and I have to say this is for the most part true. The stories are very unrealistic as are the characters. That's not to say there aren't actually men that do act like that (only ever having sex with one guy, then sticking to women) but they aren't very common.

Also, I sometimes find the forced sexual situations in these a bit offensive. It just reinforces negative stereotypes that some people have about gay men being predators.

Despite that, one of my favorite manga happens to be Fake. Which isn't entirely realistic, but the characters are far more believable than most yaoi series.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Despite that, one of my favorite manga happens to be Fake. Which isn't entirely realistic, but the characters are far more believable than most yaoi series.

Yeah, the idea of two cops in NYC basically being openly gay with nobody raising an eyebrow at it... the author really missed a HUGE opportunity for angst with that series, because it is not that easy. Still, before I gave it up after one volume because of the ridiculous premise, I do agree that the characters were pretty good, and even if I didn't buy their situation, they did seem like real people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3