• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Xam'd, Hell Girl: Three Vessels Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Well, I made my feelings about this announcement known by placing probably my largest order ever with Right Stuf as part of their current sale. I am very happy for the increase in dubs from Sentai, but I don't think they will ever return to dubbing everything, and I am glad they won't because they are able to offer shows that can't support a dub that I want like Hell Girl (although I am sure there will be those who say it could). I also was able to pick up a gem in Living for the Day After Tomorrow, which I really enjoyed, but can easily see would not support the cost of a dub (particularly in the current economic envorinment). I want the company to be smart so they can stay healthy enough to continue offer shows, and being wise on what to dub or not is I think a good idea. Heck, I'd even take sub-only if it mean't I could finish series other companies have left incomplete due to poor sales (such as happened with Hell Girl).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

By the way Count, Xam'd is pronounced Zamd. Smile Also, I'm positive that the show is 1080p native, and I'd be shocked if it was rendered below 720p. It's way too damn good-looking, and it I would think it would have to be true HD for Sony to want to pick it up to showcase the PS3's display capabilities.

Once again, "1080p native" is meaningless. Fluid, attractive animation doesn't equal high resolution. There are BD rips out there, check for yourself. It's rather simple to check. Or wait for the US BD release and check then. If you expect "true HD," then you might want to avoid anime for a few years until the industry catches up. Anyhow, I think I should just stop commenting on this topic in the future. If anyone wants to continue believing that just because an anime is released on blu-ray and isn't an SD upscale, that must mean it was animated at 1080p, then I'm not going to interrupt your vacation in la-la land.

But just for fun, here are some 3 screenshots from the JP BD of Xam'd: first the original, bicubic resized down to 1280x720 then back to 1920x1080, and finally bicubic resized down to 960x540 (The resolution BONES is suspected of animating all their HD TV anime at) then back to 1920x1080. Yeah, that's "1080p native" all right. Suuuuurrre. I've put in my preorder for the Section23 BD release, but I have no illusions about how "true HD" Xam'd is.

Shot 1
Shot 1 resized to 1280x720 then back to 1920x1080
Shot 1 resized to 960x540 then back to 1920x1080

Shot 2
Shot 2 resized to 1280x720 then back to 1920x1080
Shot 2 resized to 960x540 then back to 1920x1080

Shot 3
Shot 3 resized to 1280x720 then back to 1920x1080
Shot 3 resized to 960x540 then back to 1920x1080
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Don't worry, point taken. I'll book a ticket on the next flight out of la-la land I can find. Razz
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
I can't tell the difference between those screenshots. Neutral No really, I can't.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I can't tell the difference between those screenshots. Neutral No really, I can't.

I think that's the point he's trying to make.

Since there is no degradation of quality after resizing it to a lower resolution and then resizing it back, he thinks that means it was originally animated at that lower resolution.

Lost in his argument of course, is the ability to show an example of what should happen were you to take a "true" 1080p source and resize it to a much lower resolution and then resize it back.

That would have made the point a bit more clear.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

I doubt I could tell the difference anyway, on this little netbook, but I think "I can't tell the difference between those screenshots" is the point. If it was produced at 1080p, and you downscaled it and then upscaled it back, there would be a little fuzziness added. Not much, and you'd either need a good resolution or zooming in on a section to see it, but some.

But 1080/480 = 2.25 times. at the same aspect ratio that's five+ times the processing work, five times the storage, five times the rendering time, etc. Compared to 480p anamorphic, its more like six times all around. For a small studio like an anime studio, that means either buying lots of expensive higher powered gear, or longer turn-arounds.

There is a small but noticeable increase in sharpness on a 1080p upscaled from 540p compared to a 180p upscaled from 480p. So to get the punters to buy the blu-rays, 540p would be the cheapest production resolution to work in, while 720p is a step up from that.

Since lots of the smaller LCD HD sets are 720p in any event, a 1080p production would seem likely to be more or less reserved for cinematic releases, except maybe as an intentional marketing ploy for an auteur series.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

I think that's the point he's trying to make.

Since there is no degradation of quality after resizing it to a lower resolution and then resizing it back, he thinks that means it was originally animated at that lower resolution.

Lost in his argument of course, is the ability to show an example of what should happen were you to take a "true" 1080p source and resize it to a much lower resolution and then resize it back.

That would have made the point a bit more clear.

Well, here's an explanation that might make more sense. It explains what hissatsu did.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I can tell the difference.

http://acacallis.com/Xamd_JP_BD_01_resize_to_540_back_to_1080.png looks much worse then the other two. It's way more blurry.

http://acacallis.com/Xamd_JP_BD_01_resize_to_720_back_to_1080.png looks a little worse then the original.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I can tell the difference.

http://acacallis.com/Xamd_JP_BD_01_resize_to_540_back_to_1080.png looks much worse then the other two. It's way more blurry.

http://acacallis.com/Xamd_JP_BD_01_resize_to_720_back_to_1080.png looks a little worse then the original.

Of course, it may not be identical, if the upscale algorithm used on the BD release is optimized for the material at hand ... but if those with the equipment to see can see a big difference in the downscale to 540p and back up again, its more likely produced in 720p.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I feel that people should respect the fact that they put hard work into thier releases, whether they choose to buy a sub only release is anyone's choice, but WE are getting so tired of the dub-only fans constant infantile and inane whining and bitching about a lack of a english dub. What, would they rather wait 6 months to a year for the release or waste time buying perishable singles? What harm is there to wait until its complete and re-released as dub? None.

End of story.

That's assuming that it will actually be re-released with an English dub, which isn't always the case. Is it really that hard to believe that for some people, English dubs are as important to them as, say, decent video quality is for others? There are people that complain about the type of packaging used, and cite that as a reason they refuse to buy a title.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm glad that Xam'd is getting an English dub. I'll most likely pick that up on Blu-ray come September.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Is it really that hard to believe that for some people, English dubs are as important to them as, say, decent video quality is for others?

That's well understood, but if it is not expected to translate into enough extra sales from the dub to cover the dubbing costs, then there is not enough effective demand to justify the dub.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
Is it really that hard to believe that for some people, English dubs are as important to them as, say, decent video quality is for others?

That's well understood, but if it is not expected to translate into enough extra sales from the dub to cover the dubbing costs, then there is not enough effective demand to justify the dub.

Well sure, but you certainly can't expect people to be happy about it. I can understand being annoyed by the more overzealous, but I seriously doubt that people are going to just sit down and take it.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Well sure, but you certainly can't expect people to be happy about it. I can understand being annoyed by the more overzealous, but I seriously doubt that people are going to just sit down and take it.

What do you mean, "sit down and take it"? Its not like its something that the company did ... when there are enough potential customers to cover the cost of the dub, they are happy to commission a dub.

The only way to not "sit and take it" would be to organize a group of dub fans to raise money and cover the risk of dubbing DVD's.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I am glad Xamd is being released, just ordered it. Looks like some good stuff.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hound and Xam'd? DO WANT

If the price is good, I may have to import..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11