• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Xam'd, Hell Girl: Three Vessels Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, I believe most sub-only releases are more along the lines of "keep costs low so we don't loose our shirt." Regardless of "going the extra mile", some titles just don't have the sales potential to pay for a dub.

Technicalities, but the result and general motives of saving money by bare-bonesing and giving the customer less than the industry standard he's come to expect are the same.

For me, this elusive unquantifiable "sales potential" thing would be increased if the series was dubbed. I'd be more in the mood to buy something I haven't seen blind if it was dubbed. Also dubs increase series' rewatchability, and if I know I'm going to want to watch it more than once, this could increase it's "sales potential". However, if I already had seen the series and thought it was great, I'd be buying it either way, because I wanted to own it, regardless of whether it was bilingual or not. Of course then I'd seriously be hoping that there was a future bilingual release I could upgrade to like with Clannad though.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I believe most sub-only releases are more along the lines of "keep costs low so we don't loose our shirt." Regardless of "going the extra mile", some titles just don't have the sales potential to pay for a dub.

Technicalities, but the result and general motives of saving money by bare-bonesing and giving the customer less than the industry standard he's come to expect are the same.

For me, this elusive unquantifiable "sales potential" thing would be increased if the series was dubbed. I'd be more in the mood to buy something I haven't seen blind if it was dubbed. Also dubs increase series' rewatchability, and if I know I'm going to want to watch it more than once, this could increase it's "sales potential". However, if I already had seen the series and thought it was great, I'd be buying it either way, because I wanted to own it, regardless of whether it was bilingual or not. Of course then I'd seriously be hoping that there was a future bilingual release I could upgrade to like with Clannad though.

It's true that having a dub does increase the "potential" sales. However, many shows are going to get enough of an increase to warrant the added cost. Also, adding a dub does nothing to counter the effects of ever fewer places to promote and sale your product. Increasing your "potential" sales, particularly to the casual crowd means nothing if they don't know where to buy the product, or even that's it been released.

Shows like Hidamari Sketch, Glass Mask, and Aria aren't going to sell in large numbers, whether subbed or dubbed. For titles like these, it's simple. It's either sub-only or nothing.

I would much prefer everything be bilingual, even with the added cost. But I will gladly take Glass Mask on a subbed DVD set, rather than having to resort to streaming it online only.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
For me, this elusive unquantifiable "sales potential" thing would be increased if the series was dubbed.

Yes, its expected that dubbing will increase sales potential. If that increase is expected to be enough to pay for the dub, and if the company can afford the risk, then its possible to go ahead with the dub.

Are those estimates uncertain? Of course they are, that's why the companies sometimes lose money on a release. The name for that is "risk" - the dub is a greater risk than the sub, because its got to repay more money that was spent up front.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
If that were the case I'd think they'd dub big name titles like the Hell Girl sequels which have a previously established audience and were aired on TV but thus far that isn't happening (though it still might). So at what point is title X deemed too risky to add a dub? How do they come up with the facts to determine that? If they think that it's not going to sell that great why not work with only titles they deem to be strong instead if they're so worried about risk? Maybe at this point it's less about quality and more about having a quantity of titles and money to keep them afloat. I really don't want to speak badly about Neo ADV since I like their titles but sometimes I wonder. *shrugs*
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Hell Girl, it's not a particularly popular title. It did have a TV airing, but that was sometime after the DVD release was completed. It was also on a fairly niche cable channel that not a lot of people.

As for sales potential, they have the first season's sales to help give them an estimate. The first seasons sales were "disappointing" enough that Funi passed on season 2, and the retailer returns were brutal. Also, sales for TV shows tend to decline though later seasons, so subbed or dubbed they would likely aleady be lower than the poor sales of season 1.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If that were the case I'd think they'd dub big name titles like the Hell Girl sequels which have a previously established audience and were aired on TV but thus far that isn't happening (though it still might).

Do you honestly think if Hell Girl had sold well that FUNi wouldn't have licensed the sequel series? Pretty easy to see that Hell Girl didn't sell as well as what was expected (particularly with it airing on IFC).

It was either Sentai releasing it sub-only, or not at all.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
If that were the case I'd think they'd dub big name titles like the Hell Girl sequels which have a previously established audience and were aired on TV but thus far that isn't happening (though it still might). So at what point is title X deemed too risky to add a dub? How do they come up with the facts to determine that? If they think that it's not going to sell that great why not work with only titles they deem to be strong instead if they're so worried about risk? Maybe at this point it's less about quality and more about having a quantity of titles and money to keep them afloat. I really don't want to speak badly about Neo ADV since I like their titles but sometimes I wonder. *shrugs*

1. Funimation released Hell Girl season 1, so they have the sales figures on it. Presumably, it didn't sell well enough for them to consider it worth the cost of licensing and dubbing season 2.

2. What constitutes a "strong" title is not always obvious. It's quite possible that the majority of titles that R1 companies try and license are shows which they think are or might be strong. They're not always right.

3. While a title may be risky, that doesn't mean that the risk won't pay off. It's difficult to know exactly what's going to sell how well. Especially if you're doing well enough to afford some risk, it could be worth taking on some riskier titles in the hopes of them paying off.

4. At least some titles come in bundles. You license title A and you get titles B and C along with it. A may be great while B and C aren't so great. You've already licensed B and C, so you might as well release them as well unless you think that they're such flops that there's no way that you're going to make back the cost of actually producing the show. So, not so great shows may get licensed simply because that's what it takes to get a great show.

5. It could be that the strong show comes in a bundle and the cost of the bundle is too high. If the others in the bundle are poor enough that you're likely to lose money producing them, then it won't be worth producing them, and the strong show will have to make enough to pay for the whole bundle. While it may be strong, if it may not be strong enough for that. And if it isn't you're not going to license it.

6. Particularly if you're willing to release sub-only, shows that aren't strong can still make money. Just because a show isn't likely to be a mega-hit doesn't mean that it isn't worth licensing and releasing. You can still make money even if you don't make a lot. Sure, you'd prefer that a show be a big hit and make tons of money, but they don't all, and you need to pay the bills somehow. So, a show may get licensed simply because it's likely to make a small profit even if it's unlikely to sell a lot.

I'm sure that there are plenty of other reasons, and while there's obviously plenty that they don't know, the folks who actually license these shows still know a whole lot more than we do about what is and isn't good business or what will or won't likely sell. They have actual sales figures and other information that we aren't privy to which drives licensing decisions. So, if nothing else, the fact that we don't know as much as they do means that their decisions aren't necessarily going to make sense to us. That doesn't mean that they'll be right or wrong, but they're in a better position to make such decisions than we are.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
In the case of Hell Girl, it's not a particularly popular title. It did have a TV airing, but that was sometime after the DVD release was completed. It was also on a fairly niche cable channel that not a lot of people.

As for sales potential, they have the first season's sales to help give them an estimate. The first seasons sales were "disappointing" enough that Funi passed on season 2, and the retailer returns were brutal. Also, sales for TV shows tend to decline though later seasons, so subbed or dubbed they would likely aleady be lower than the poor sales of season 1.

That's really sad to hear, since it was so good, but yet ironic, because the second season was significantly better than the first and probabally would have sold better.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
You do know that Rightstuf has confirmed that X'am will be dubbed, right?
He was talking about Hell Girl. Learn to read.

Umm okay. Than much like Clannad, when it gets dubbed, will he still be complaining then?

By the way, here's a quote from Robert Brown (Anime Corner Store) about Clannad's dubbed release:
Quote:
And finally, I wanted to mention that the new dubbed Clannad sets are not only flying off the shelf, but the number of folks upgrading their old sub DVD's for the more expensive dubbed set has really taken us by surprise. . . . . demand has been so heavy we're close to running out of the sets after only one week. We've got more on order from Section 23, and we're hoping they will arrive soon because the demand for the dubbed set has just been crazy!

[Considering that the chorus of "FREE ANIME NOW" comes exclusively from the fan-sub loving leeches while English dub fans actually have to buy to support what we want, what you posted really doesn't make a lot of sense. (Also see the above quote.)

But hey, I'm sure you guys are always 100% satisfied with everything that comes out of the R1 industry and NEVER EVER post a single complaint about anything right? Rolling Eyes
Rarely. Only if the DVD is of otherwise poor quality or if I don't like the show. By posting RACS article right there, your stating the hypocricy of hardcore anti-sub fans. I respect dubs. I'll buy anything dubbed or not. I could care less whether a title is billingal or not, it shouldn't make a difference and I'm certainly not about to start soapboxing about it.

I think of it this way. The R1 and R2 market aren't mega corporations. They rarely profit a small tenth of what a 3rd party video game publisher makes in a quarter.

I feel that people should respect the fact that they put hard work into thier releases, whether they choose to buy a sub only release is anyone's choice, but WE are getting so tired of the dub-only fans constant infantile and inane whining and bitching about a lack of a english dub. What, would they rather wait 6 months to a year for the release or waste time buying perishable singles? What harm is there to wait until its complete and re-released as dub? None.

End of story.

I think you have that backwards. Only recently have you seen people complain about no dubs because of the current economic crash. It was always people coming onto boards bitching about dubs when they had no reason to do so because everything was bilingual. I'm pretty sure you were one of these people. Posting what you just said was completely ignorant. And yes the fansubs or dvd rips hurts sales but you are forgetting the fansubs come out sometimes years before shows are finally licensed. Then when it is finally released the companies sit there going "Hey! Where is all the fans who wanted it? Sad but also fucked up. People need to buy there shows rather than watching it online. If I can wait patiently everyone can. This isn't the Robin Hood of anime, last time I checked anime wasn't a necessity. Even Media Blasters told me at cons "If you can't/won't pay you don't get your [expletive] product."
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to getting XaMD with a dub, as it looks like a great show, and glad it's been rescued from the limbo of no-dvd-ness. Bones shows are always entertaining, and the visuals for this look fantastic. Glad to see more Hell Girl picked up too [been meaning to get that].
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

Actually, it'd be really cool if a show could be released by both Funimation and Aniplex and we could see how sales differed. I suspect that Aniplex would be creamed. Between how much they sell stuff for (which is at least better than Bandai Visuals but still far worse than everyone else) and where they sell it, they're doing far worse than the rest of the R1 market as far as what the fans are looking for goes. If there were some way for companies to compete with releases of the same show, Aniplex wouldn't stand a chance.
That's a no brainer. The Hybrid release would outdo the subbed only. But that would be beyond pointless by both companies.

Likely true. However, it does frustrate me at times that if you want to buy a particular show, you're stuck dealing with however the one company that has it chooses to release it. You can't go to another company to buy it because they treated it better. You're at the whim of whoever releases it. You either buy it the way that they're releasing it, or you don't buy it.
I personally don't care. Hybrid or Sub only releases are good enough for me. I just want good audio/video and an accurate translation.
supersonic124

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Everyone please enjoy your Ranma87-free summertime.

Sit back, relax, have a cool glass of lemonade and feel that soft summer breeze wash over you. Watch the kids jump into the ol' swimmin' hole, enjoy a fresh slice of cold watermelon and mediate to the soft creaking of your trusty porch rocking chair, all to the melodious sound of no Ranma87.

wow way to be professional Rolling Eyes
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
I personally don't care. Hybrid or Sub only releases are good enough for me. I just want good audio/video and an accurate translation.

Well, I definitely want good audio/video and an accurate translation, and I'll definitely buy sub-only if that's all I can get, but I definitely prefer to have a dub. It is particularly frustrating, however, to have to pay more for a sub-only release than you'd typically pay for a dub. You take what you can get, I suppose, but it's still frustrating.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
All right, Hell Girl season 3! I was just wondering this week if it was ever going to be licensed, and then boom, a few days later, it's announced. I only got a few episodes into the fansubs before giving it up, but I'm still going to buy it, since Hell Girl rocks. If only someone would license the live action series.
Cool that Blue Drop and Ghost Hound are getting dubs so that dub fans can get their fix. Blue Drop was a really good, relaxing series, and it's great that some more people will be able to watch it in their preferred language.
However, I'm slightly annoyed that I just bought the second season of Ghost Hound, and then they have to go and announce the Blu-ray release. I think I might watch the fansubs first, and then if I like the show, sell my unopened DVDs, and then put in an order for the Blu-ray. I don't really want to double dip yet on a show I don't know anything about.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

However, I'm slightly annoyed that I just bought the second season of Ghost Hound, and then they have to go and announce the Blu-ray release. I think I might watch the fansubs first, and then if I like the show, sell my unopened DVDs, and then put in an order for the Blu-ray. I don't really want to double dip yet on a show I don't know anything about.

You mean the second set? There was never a second season of Ghost Hound.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11