• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Split from Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So... Cartoon Network is saying that adult swim is a seperate network... even though adult swim is still going to be aired on cartoon network? thats kind of interesting... and odd... could this mean less edits to anime shows?
sabatman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't mind this turn of events, however I do hope it doesn't eventually lead to a physical split as some of you are speculating. I mean, that would basically be like neutering Cartoon Network, am I wrong?

AS thrives because of its timeslot. What good would it be to air adult-themed programming in the morning and afternoon when the target audience can't even watch it?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I could see Adult Swim splitting off onto its own network, though much farther down the line. This "split" will gain Adult Swim more revenue. This revenue will in turn be used to improve the block and buy more shows. They already have many shows in production (some full series, some only in pilot stage), as evidenced by the slides in a recent commercial. If enough money is gained, Adult Swim would be able to fund enough shows to create its own network, though it would also need to license a lot of anime, preferably some long running shows a la InuYasha. If they were hurting for shows, they could always show old episodes of shows that were put to rest, like Home Movies or the (more) uncut Yu Yu Hakusho that was on the block early in AS Action's life. Overall, I bet there would be a lot more American comedy shows than anime, but anime would still be solidly represented. However, these are just my wishes, based on nothing more than some educated guessing and not any professional analysis, and I don't see this happening for a long time, if at all.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
There is no way Adult Swim has enough programming to fill up a full time schedule.

True, but their 2005 outlook has as many as 12 new shows in line to debut. Unless I'm mistaken, that's more than doubling their current comedy repertoir in itself.

Mr. Bushido wrote:
with any luck, maybe they'll show rurouni kenshin and all those other animes that got dumbed down for teh kids to fill up space.

Simultaneous Toonami/Adult Swim runs have never happened before, and something tells me there's an even smaller chance of it happening now. Besides, why in the hell would they want to do that anyway when the Adult Swim exclusive anime lineup is already nearly overflowing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Bushido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Simultaneous Toonami/Adult Swim runs have never happened before, and something tells me there's an even smaller chance of it happening now. Besides, why in the hell would they want to do that anyway when the Adult Swim exclusive anime lineup is already nearly overflowing?

Because if they're trying to go into their own network (assuming this split or whatever does what they're wanting to do), they're gonna need to fill it with SOMETHING and, as I said, do you think they would fill it with ATHF, Sealab, and whatnot? Even with them being in their...what...4th seasons, they'd run out of programming for those really quick, so they'd probably fill it with something that would last a while such as anime, Futurama/Family Guy-esque shows, etc. Plus it'd be nice if there was more anime on TV. Personally, I don't have the money to get channels like TechTV or whatever is on channel 100+, let alone buy them on DVD so I have to resort to watching the dumbed down runs on saturdays <shrugs>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
Maybe this little partition will encourage them to air more anime with few-to-no edits; one can always hope.

It seems that Adult Swim was already heading in this direction, with the blood and violence of Wolf's Rain going mostly unchecked and that they aired the Stand Alone Complex episode "Jungle Cruise" (which was why BANDAI and/or Manga upped the rating of SAC Volume 3 DVD to "16-Up" instead of the other volumes' "13-Up" suggested rating) with only a few language edits (according to The Edit List).

So, Adult Swim is letting more and more go, and now that they are getting split with Cartoon Network, it could mean the rules will change, also (which is a good thing, since I'm not a big fan of extreme edits).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Before anyone asks, it's just a stunt to manipulate the ratings in order to make the network look more impressive to people who look at the ratings, and when CN/AS quotes the ratings in press releases and advertising solicitations.

I forgot to mention one thing. This move could also be seen as a precursor to giving [AS] it's own 24 hour station. Personally, I don't think this is the case. The reason has nothing to do with whether or not they can fill 24 hours, they can always get more content. It's because [AS] is geared towards young adults, and not a lot of young adults are watching TV during daytime hours.

-t
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:15 pm Reply with quote
so this is not like Boomerang is it? where they create a whole new channel?
they're just making a new time block basically?
cubs2084

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I've always considered Cartoon Network and Adult Swim seperate entities anyway. Good to see that they're making it official.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dukefan89

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well.. according to my knowlage isent cartoon network getting naruto? it might be on toonami but it is a god thought that maybe itll go to adult swim and it will be unedited now that its its own network...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Bushido wrote:
Because if they're trying to go into their own network (assuming this split or whatever does what they're wanting to do), they're gonna need to fill it with SOMETHING

And in terms of anime, they're already swapping things in & out at rapid pace. They've already got enough anime to last a long while.

Mr. Bushido wrote:
and, as I said, do you think they would fill it with ATHF, Sealab, and whatnot?

Yes, because those are THE ratings draws for Adult Swim. And much like the anime, they're already beginning to get a little cramped in this department, as well.

Mr. Bushido wrote:
Even with them being in their...what...4th seasons, they'd run out of programming for those really quick, so they'd probably fill it with something that would last a while such as anime, Futurama/Family Guy-esque shows, etc.

Again, they've already got plenty of anime with a lot more on the way. And if you'll check the comedy block during commercial breaks, their lineup of 2005 comedy premieres is almost ridiculous how long it is. As I said, more than ten new shows, not counting new seasons of existing ones. And add to that the fact that Adult Swim seems quite good at picking up displaced adult cartoons from other networks. I wouldn't be surprised (rather, I'd be more than overjoyed) to see the likes of Kid Notorious or The Critic show up on a 24-hour Adult Swim network right alongside Baby Blues, Home Movies, & Mission Hill.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised (rather, I'd be more than overjoyed) to see the likes of Kid Notorious or The Critic show up on a 24-hour Adult Swim network right alongside Baby Blues, Home Movies, & Mission Hill.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who would be joyed to see Baby Blues return. =D

Anyways... what I still find strange is how currently, doing this on the same channel, is going to do a crazy lot. I doubt that they'll be able to aquire any more timeslots than they already have (though I'm prepared to be completely wrong on this), mainly because the hours they already have, are really the only hours that are least likely to conflict with the viewing times of younger audiences. Also, should they ever split into a seperate network, would the name "adult swim" be appropriate anymore? The kids are out of the pool, and they're not coming back (at least for another 10 years or so. =P).

If this also means replacing the encore hours with fresh programming, I may be slightly sad, seeing as sometimes it's hard to catch whatever show at it's inital airing. =/
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote
If you think about it, this is truly great news. In case you didn't know, the only reason AS can't run uncut anime is that according to the FCC, AS is a Cartoon Network program. As a children's TV station which children are likely to watch, TV-MA shows (aka: uncut Paranoia Agent) are not allowed. Now that AS has its own classification, they are free to air anything they want with no edits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
If you think about it, this is truly great news. In case you didn't know, the only reason AS can't run uncut anime is that according to the FCC, AS is a Cartoon Network program. As a children's TV station which children are likely to watch, TV-MA shows (aka: uncut Paranoia Agent) are not allowed. Now that AS has its own classification, they are free to air anything they want with no edits.

NOT the FCC. Turner's S&P.

And since AS is still on Cartoon Network, it will more than likely still be subject to Turner's S&P's current restrictions.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who would be joyed to see Baby Blues return. =D

I was actually directing that more at Kid Notorious & The Critic, actually. Sorry for the confusion. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4