• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Manga Put on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Losstarot wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
Man, I am now somewhat glad that I didn't start buying Last Order. I was going to a few years back because I loved the original, until I read something about vampires and decided not to.

Despite the fact that vampires are currently pretty overplayed, the parts in Last Order involving vampires are actually really awesome, in my opinion.

Sadly, they've been the most interesting element in Last Order so far, at least since the ZOTT started. I'm still at volume 11 (need to get 12 via ILL...), those of you who keep up more, is that blippit0blip tournament still going on?

Also, I was so worried this thread would be a bunch of people complaining about "censorship!" and was pleasantly surprised to see everyone up in arms of the author being a prima donna. Oh my God, editors want to *gasp* EDIT your work! Sure, the complaint is a bit ridiculous (I say this as someone who has experience with mental illness), but authors, directors, etc. have to work within constraints all the time. It's part of the game, and you know this when you get into it. At least they asked him about it first. This better be him looking for a way out and not an honest hissy fit.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
"We're ok with a kindergardner hitting on her teacher, but we'll be damned if you make fun of the mentally-unstable." Oh, Japan, looks like your PC police have the wrong priorities, too. Rolling Eyes
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sadly, they've been the most interesting element in Last Order so far, at least since the ZOTT started. I'm still at volume 11 (need to get 12 via ILL...), those of you who keep up more, is that blippit0blip tournament still going on?

Ayup, still going on and not going to end anytime soon. This hiatus is in fact taking place right in the middle of the finals.

And yep, it's pretty much moved on to pure DBZ territory. Not saying crazy reality breaking martial arts are necessarily a bad thing, but that's not what I was reading Battle Angel Alita for.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, well, at least now he and Cameron have something in common.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Alita for over a decade now I think, and even though I was satisfied with how the original ended, I liked Last Order at the start. However the past five volumes or so I've read a volume and thought "That's IT? Seriously?" and felt pissed off I yet again waited a YEAR for precisely zero plot advancement so Kishiro could draw something that looked a little like Admiral Ackbar from Star Wars fighting Sabretooth from X-Men inside a Sarlac pit monster or some such nonsense...

I'm not opposed to a little craziness mixed in with my action, but stopping a plot dead to focus on nothing else for a full volume is not what I want to see happen on a regular basis. There is too much padding in this series.

If it wasn't so gorgeous to look at I would consider just giving up on it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
This really annoys me.

On one had, I do feel that Kishiro is overreacting to minor edits.

On the other hand, asking for those edits just seems really stupid on the editor / publisher's part, particularly if they knew how Kishiro would react (it seems like they did).

Maybe Kishiro will work a bit on Aqua Knight during his hiatus, but I hope he gets back to Gunnm sooner rather than later. And yeah, I'm getting a little tired of ZOTT. Gunnm really shouldn't have gone the shonen tournament route.

-t
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Claire Voyant wrote:
;__; Oh god, why do people have to make things difficult?

Let the man be, why change something if it isn't broken.

sdfsadfsdf. My day just got ruined.

Exactly. Believe me, I've heard much worse than psycho, crazy and such. Those aren't that "bad" of a words.

If the words aren't that offensive to begin with, why change it? It's not like it was saying "all criminals are crazy" or something like that.

Really, some people make simple situations much more challenging than they need to be. I can understand some people getting angry by being called names such as those, but since the words weren't directed to anyone (except the manga character) I don't see the big deal here.

I've never even read or watched this series and I think this is going way overboard.
AnnoyedWabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
In the case of Last Order, it was presumably supposed to be a "do-over" of the original ending, which if memory serves has now been excised from reprinted editions.

*weeps* But the originial ending was GOOD. All this just makes me so very glad I never got further than partway through the first volume of Last Order. I will simply excise it from my memory and collect the old, unchanged printings of the original series.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
"We're ok with a kindergardner hitting on her teacher, but we'll be damned if you make fun of the mentally-unstable." Oh, Japan, looks like your PC police have the wrong priorities, too. Rolling Eyes

Yes, because all of Japan is a single entity with a single mind that has the same standards universally. Rolling Eyes
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
While it certainly does sound like an overreaction, worrying that a few lines of dialogue in a manga consisting of almost wall-to-wall dismemberment and splattering human brains might not be quite sensitive enough to those with delicate feelings... that's pretty crazy to begin with.

I mean, these are the characters' voices. They're supposed to be fine with tearing people limb from limb, but careful not to say anything that might conceivably cause offence? It's also quite possible that the characters they're referring to are the very definition of insane/psychotic (only guessing, but there are plenty of unhinged characters to choose from in Gunnm iirc).
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Uh-oh! Shocked You know what this means! Time to hit the universal reset button again!
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Man, I am now somewhat glad that I didn't start buying Last Order. I was going to a few years back because I loved the original, until I read something about vampires and decided not to.

That vampire story is my favourite story arc from both original and Last Order manga...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Yes, because all of Japan is a single entity with a single mind that has the same standards universally. Rolling Eyes

Just like America, whoddathunk?! Laughing
glock78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Also, I was so worried this thread would be a bunch of people complaining about "censorship!" and was pleasantly surprised to see everyone up in arms of the author being a prima donna. Oh my God, editors want to *gasp* EDIT your work! Sure, the complaint is a bit ridiculous (I say this as someone who has experience with mental illness), but authors, directors, etc. have to work within constraints all the time. It's part of the game, and you know this when you get into it. At least they asked him about it first. This better be him looking for a way out and not an honest hissy fit.

First off, Kishiro is not being a "prima donna".
He was in the middle of finishing the 100th edition of the series - a rather important project for both him and the publisher(s), who have clearly marked it as such by dedicating the cover of the Ultra Jump almost completely to GUNNM - Last Order.
Also, he was in the middle of completion of the said cover.

So, in the middle of all that very deadline-specific work - they come at him to replace THREE DAMN WORDS from his earlier work.
And we are not saying just opening up the file and retyping it - those issues were drawn in the early '90s.
Meaning that he will probably have to drop the "rather more important job" he is working on at the moment, go down to storage, dig up those old boards AND CREATE A NEW COPY (There will most certainly be some old-school manual work to be done there) just so he could change THREE [expletive] WORDS!

Why the change now after those issues have been reprinted dozens of times (US version alone is well into double digits with its reprints)?
Well, because it is now no longer "politically correct" to use those specific words or people with schizophrenia and/or their families MAY find it insulting.
You know... kinda like that retarded issue in the USA recently.

On top of that, this is not the first time they are yanking Kishiro's chain lately.

Following comments were stolen from mogg at Ripper's Anime Forum:
Quote:

Just checked the blog over. You kind of get the gist from the machine translation. He's no happy Smile
Here's my rough and ready translation.

New - Notes with whimsical Yuki

Writing my complaints, 'cause I'm pissed off and can't sleep
June 10th 2010 5:33
A while ago I criticised Sato Sensei from "BuraYoro" (Means Swingin" an' swayin'), but I take it all back.
Sato Sensei, You're right. Major publishing companies are shit.
They stab the artists who think they've finally found a kindred spirit in the back, and calmly grind their faces into the [expletive] pavement.
I always try to counterattack this, but this time they've tied my hands, and there's nothing i can do about it.
Why is that? 'Cause there is no reason why I should be getting treated the way I am.
Since the beginning of this year I've tolerated their games, handing the monthly serial in, revamping the old editions, finishing the covers and the manuscripts. If they could, they'd even have me signing autographs and taking pictures of my workspace. I'm making all my deadlines.
And been looking forward to the anniversary of the 100th edition in June.
And the present from the Editor is this...
It's nothing much?
Their reasoning is "protecting their business"?
Otherwise I'd have thought it was just spite. For this kind of great (terrible?) timing, it feels like it's [expletive] intentional.

Quote:

I checked the rest of the blog out ( http://yukitolog.blogspot.com/ ). Apart from being asked to start using mac again instead of PC, as it seems he's been prefers microsoft (He goes off about Steve Jobs coz macs are a nightmare to clear up-I can agree there, can be a nightmare to defrag and clean out), what it seems like is that he got an email from the editor asking what is going on with the story. why is Ping younger looking than Mibadi, whats with the lines on their faces, what the hell does the english mean in the series,..etc... Seems like he might have been asked to rewrite/ justify a load of stuff.
It's a bit long, but I can put it up the blog if anyone wants.
Gunnm isnt being cancelled or anything

In my opinion, he has every damn right to be upset.
They are treating him as if he is some temp sent to fetch cofee and snacks, instead of a respected artist and author.

I only hope this doesn't mean a cancellation of the series or a too long of a hiatus.
My Last Order collection already has several different VIZ logos as they have been changing their visual identity over the years.
They look very... "mixed" up on the shelve. Razz
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I mean come on... seriously? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4