• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Manga Put on Hiatus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrimarchBentley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Ffffffff-bugger. Mad

If "no more reprints" was part of it, I could see this as Kishiro trying to nip it in the bud. After all, if there was a request for these changes, for a reprinting of a work that's been out there for a while... what kind of changes would he have to look forward to the reprinting of the next volume? Or the one after that?

All in the middle of Kishiro finishing up his 100th installment for BAA:LO. A bit of a significant milestone I'd imagine... and this comes up.

So what does he do? He finishes up 100 and makes the requested changes, both on time, all to professional form. He then announces a hiatus, and hopefully the editor and execs at the company defecated bricks.

Can't say I like it... but I think I can generally understand why. Hopefully the company backs off on edits of future reprints, apologies are made, and Kishiro resumes Last Order. I can hope...

Then again, this is Kishiro we're talking about. Confused The loss of momentum of a hiatus, if long term, could knock Last Order off the tracks for good.
Blaine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
On a side note, will you be reviewing volume 13, Key? I'd be interested to read your take on it.

I wonder what this hiatus will mean for Viz's publishing schedule. Will volumes 14 and 15 (are there enough chapters for that?) come out as planned or not?

I think volume 15 is due out in japan either this month or next month, so will probably get those two.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese have a big aversion to anything related to "mental disease" -- this is part of the reason their suicide rate is so high, and that hikkikomori/otaku shut-ins are so prevalent. They rather hide them away and pretend the problem doesn't exist, than see them actually get help.

So they wanted him to change the wording to avoid the "mental disease" connotations of the word.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, this just stinks. Evil or Very Mad

I wonder if the Editor may be under the instructions from his/her boss about certain kind of dialog.

It does make me little curious if these guys actually care significately if Kishiro continues to make Last order. It would be inconvience to them, but not big enough for them beg Kishiro to continue. Their just business men/women.

Any case, this is just bad news for fans. I like Last Order, i was looking forward to him getting out of the tournment and get on with Alita's journey to Mars.

I wonder how far she'll get when they get to 100th.
Bingal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
A nine year old arranging a strip show for her teacher is completely fine and reasonable, but calling someone a psycho in fitting context is crossing the hypothetical line. Rolling Eyes
yasako

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree that Last Order has been lagging for a while now, we may not be seeing the whole story here. They mentioned that the editor wanted Kishiro to make these edits in the middle of working on his 100th chapter, but maybe Kishiro has been putting up with these petty (or not so petty) changes for some time and has finally just snapped.

This last request might have just been the straw that broke the camel's back.
dan_bellucci

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
OH what a shame! When shall I see hurr-fighting-penis-robots in an emotionally resonant sci-fi epic again??

It's about time this horrible continuation was put out of its misery.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
My only experience with GunM is through the anime, but it sounds like the manga gets as bad as the SJ series which got abruptly cut off and then continued in Jump Square.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This really annoys me.

On one had, I do feel that Kishiro is overreacting to minor edits.

On the other hand, asking for those edits just seems really stupid on the editor / publisher's part, particularly if they knew how Kishiro would react (it seems like they did).

Maybe Kishiro will work a bit on Aqua Knight during his hiatus, but I hope he gets back to Gunnm sooner rather than later. And yeah, I'm getting a little tired of ZOTT. Gunnm really shouldn't have gone the shonen tournament route.

-t
Well it's lame enough to be a tactical maneuver of both their parts to:
1) get him to stop and take a break from it to get a grip of the meandering plot, and
2) give him an excuse to give the fans, that saves face.
Wink
Then again he could really be just a sulky artist tw@ throwing his toys out of his pram because he got interupted from his creative flow. Laughing
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
glock78 wrote:
First off, Kishiro is not being a "prima donna".
He was in the middle of finishing the 100th edition of the series - a rather important project for both him and the publisher(s), who have clearly marked it as such by dedicating the cover of the Ultra Jump almost completely to GUNNM - Last Order.
Also, he was in the middle of completion of the said cover.

So, in the middle of all that very deadline-specific work - they come at him to replace THREE DAMN WORDS from his earlier work.
And we are not saying just opening up the file and retyping it - those issues were drawn in the early '90s.
Meaning that he will probably have to drop the "rather more important job" he is working on at the moment, go down to storage, dig up those old boards AND CREATE A NEW COPY (There will most certainly be some old-school manual work to be done there) just so he could change THREE [expletive] WORDS!

Why the change now after those issues have been reprinted dozens of times (US version alone is well into double digits with its reprints)?
Well, because it is now no longer "politically correct" to use those specific words or people with schizophrenia and/or their families MAY find it insulting.
You know... kinda like that retarded issue in the USA recently.

On top of that, this is not the first time they are yanking Kishiro's chain lately.

Following comments were stolen from mogg at Ripper's Anime Forum:
Quote:

Just checked the blog over. You kind of get the gist from the machine translation. He's no happy Smile
Here's my rough and ready translation.

New - Notes with whimsical Yuki

Writing my complaints, 'cause I'm pissed off and can't sleep
June 10th 2010 5:33
A while ago I criticised Sato Sensei from "BuraYoro" (Means Swingin" an' swayin'), but I take it all back.
Sato Sensei, You're right. Major publishing companies are shit.
They stab the artists who think they've finally found a kindred spirit in the back, and calmly grind their faces into the [expletive] pavement.
I always try to counterattack this, but this time they've tied my hands, and there's nothing i can do about it.
Why is that? 'Cause there is no reason why I should be getting treated the way I am.
Since the beginning of this year I've tolerated their games, handing the monthly serial in, revamping the old editions, finishing the covers and the manuscripts. If they could, they'd even have me signing autographs and taking pictures of my workspace. I'm making all my deadlines.
And been looking forward to the anniversary of the 100th edition in June.
And the present from the Editor is this...
It's nothing much?
Their reasoning is "protecting their business"?
Otherwise I'd have thought it was just spite. For this kind of great (terrible?) timing, it feels like it's [expletive] intentional.

Quote:

I checked the rest of the blog out ( http://yukitolog.blogspot.com/ ). Apart from being asked to start using mac again instead of PC, as it seems he's been prefers microsoft (He goes off about Steve Jobs coz macs are a nightmare to clear up-I can agree there, can be a nightmare to defrag and clean out), what it seems like is that he got an email from the editor asking what is going on with the story. why is Ping younger looking than Mibadi, whats with the lines on their faces, what the hell does the english mean in the series,..etc... Seems like he might have been asked to rewrite/ justify a load of stuff.
It's a bit long, but I can put it up the blog if anyone wants.
Gunnm isnt being cancelled or anything

In my opinion, he has every damn right to be upset.
They are treating him as if he is some temp sent to fetch cofee and snacks, instead of a respected artist and author.

I only hope this doesn't mean a cancellation of the series or a too long of a hiatus.
My Last Order collection already has several different VIZ logos as they have been changing their visual identity over the years.
They look very... "mixed" up on the shelve. Razz

Quoting this all over again since maybe people are not reading this.

Thanks for the info, glock78. I'm on the mangaka's part, let's see what will happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
Kishiro decided to make dialogue changes and finish the current installment on time, and the first reprint volume and the 100th Last Order installment shipped on June 18 and June 19, respectively.
This says it all. Look he's no different than any other mangaka out there with a deadline and an editor that is a bastard to work under. Editors have bastards above them too, so shyte rolls down hill. If he has to change over from PC to MAC that would put a big spanner in the works and that would piss anyone off there.
shirow1160

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
i'm just glad to hear that i wasn't the only one who thought last order was really going no where and that the series was running out of steam.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Damn political correct editors. Though I guess Japan's denial or taboo of talking about mental illness also an issue of itself. Is Japan really that socially repressed that they can't talk about mental illness that plagues all societies? Still, I see it fairly on par with other silly efforts to cleanse the media.

Hell, a crappy Marvel book had them take away the Red Skull's cigarette and obscured him throwing a baby out a window. The guy can literally be a Nazi, but heaven forbid he smoke. Plus another book by the same crazy author originally had President Obama getting beheaded. Okay.. that's maybe a bit much. Not to mention childish. (Though if Warren Ellis can have a super hero kill Bush, why not?)

Dear heavens this seems downright silly. I'd gladly see the manga on strike than have it undergo such dumb censorship. Good for him for standing by his work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4