• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Angel Beats! #1 Sells 23,000 to Top Weekly BD Chart

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Wait a second, what's that sound? Oh, it's the price of the license skyrocketing.

This news actually may be better than you think. With more sales generated in Japan, this could translate to a lower licensing cost to the US

OR we could go through same old song and dance like we always do. You know how it goes, show does gangbusters in Japan, they become delusional thinking it'll do gangbusters here, jack up the price of the license and hang it front of the R1's like meat to dog. This is the reason we don't have Bakemonogatri, K-ON, Eva 2.22, Kara no Kyoukai, and the list goes on and on since those are only recent shows off the top of my head. Outside of Haruhi, I'm having a hard time thinking of shows that were chart toppers in Japan and were licensed relatively early.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
This is the reason we don't have Bakemonogatri, K-ON, Eva 2.22, Kara no Kyoukai, and the list goes on and on since those are only recent shows off the top of my head.

But don't forget, there are more licenses to consider than just the series itself. K-On, for example, probably comes with an assorted bundle of bullshit for just its music, let alone the series.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where everyone wants a piece of that pie and it's no different in Japan.

Long gone are the days of "Dang, I wonder who sings this song? I'd like to buy it." Now, we're already buying a stripped version of it, whether we like the song or not.

I tried to dig up a related topic on this, but can't find it. Sorry.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
This is the reason we don't have Bakemonogatri, K-ON, Eva 2.22, Kara no Kyoukai, and the list goes on and on since those are only recent shows off the top of my head.

But don't forget, there are more licenses to consider than just the series itself. K-On, for example, probably comes with an assorted bundle of bullshit for just its music, let alone the series.

Oh, I know about that. I believe Justin said in an ANNcast that the pie is split between the Animation Company, the Music Label, the TV Stations, the Manga-ka, and several others depending on how many pitched in. I almost feel bad for R1 companies because the Japanese make them jump through so many hoops and meet so many demands to release a DVD, Blu-ray and/or stream just because they're so assbackwards on their side. Maybe if they would, you know, treat us and the other regions like partners instead of underlings, anime would be better off. But I'm just a kid on a forum spouting nonsense; no need to listen to anything I say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I almost feel bad for R1 companies because the Japanese make them jump through so many hoops and meet so many demands to release a DVD, Blu-ray and/or stream just because they're so assbackwards on their side. Maybe if they would, you know, treat us and the other regions like partners instead of underlings, anime would be better off.

The system of rights works exactly the same way within Japan, so it isn't a matter of making things difficult for outsiders. It simply boils down to their custom of making decisions via committee (so responsibility is shared by all members of a group instead of an individual).

There's a reason why Japan is infamous for bureaucracy.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
lol, Licenses.

Perhaps the American audiences aren't really interested in CUET GURLS IN HI-SCHOOL, for christ's sake.

Seriously, that's the central theme of these best-sellers? This industry is dead.

Yeah I don't understand why people seem to think that the stuff that's popular with moe otaku (to the point where they must buy it as a ritual if it has names like Jun Maeda behind it) is going to have the same pull with American audiences. The only show mentioned in this topic that I think has a legitimate shot at selling over here is EVA 2.2 since it's been well known for a quite a while on both sides of the Pacific. Of course it also probably has the highest licensing costs by far.

And really Angel Beats comes across as written for a very niche crowd from the ground up to the point where it contained the obligatory concert scene in just about every episode for no reason I can assume other than that's what that crowd likes. About all that was missing was the cutesy dancing trope. Also just about the only thing that makes it stand out is that a big name in Japan's Visual Novel subculture like Jun Maeda is on the staff. And how many people in North America know or care who that is in the long run I wonder?

Basically my point is that Angel Beats is a collector's item for Jun Maeda/Key enthusiasts and that in order to be profitable in North America it will not only cost money for licensing but also for an entire re-branding to make it marketable in other regions. The cost for that is likely to exceed potentially expected sales so I'll be legitimately surprised if it ever sees the light of day outside of Japan.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
It simply boils down to their custom of making decisions via committee (so responsibility is shared by all members of a group instead of an individual).

There's a reason why Japan is infamous for bureaucracy.

I once read something really good on the nature of anime production committees but I'm darned if I can find it now, although I've realising how long it has been since I last read Schoolgirl Milky Crisis because I've been giggling at amusing anecdotes I've forgotten about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
after I saw the last episode I had a lump in my throat, and a slight tear in my eye, I wont spoil it

After the last episode I was like "ugh, cheeeeesy and ... plothole?!". I definitely saw some pink slime coming out of my TV screen. And I'm used to romantic shojo-stuff, which gets quite cheesy at times.

It's ridiculous for such an amateurishly (directing, story-telling) done series to sell that well. Must be because of all the moe-fanservice. Nobody apart from moe-fans could spend 60 - 70 $ for 2 episodes of this series Oo;;

Funnily enough the ratings/reviews on amazon aren't all that great.

Quote:
But, seeing the rest of this season's lineup, can't really blame the consumer... Sort of.

I agree that this season is/was very weak, but imho AB is among the worst it had to offer. At least DRRR and Working (no masterpieces, but still good) are also selling well. And hopefully 5 Leaves will do well enough to guarantee more series of its kind.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Just looked up the first BluRay volume on amazon.co.jp and saw it had a rating of 4 stars, which is pretty good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

It's ridiculous for such an amateurishly (directing, story-telling) done series to sell that well. Must be because of all the moe-fanservice. Nobody apart from moe-fans could spend 60 - 70 $ for 2 episodes of this series Oo;;

There are also far more number of guys in Angel Beats than in a usual Key titles (I think there were a few that were fairly slashable) so I would imagine girls were a contributing factor as well.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
possibly. Since they put in quite a bit of shonen-ai fanservice, I guess they tried to aim at that audience as well.
But telling from all the dojinshi, it seems to me that DRRR and Hetalia are the big hits right now among the fujoshi. While AB has a lot of daki-makura and figurines kind of stuff coming out, so seems to be more popular among the male moe otakus.

Megiddo, the reviews themselves don't sound all that good, and the rating gets worse for the later volumes (of course at the beginning you still have hope to get something decent later on), with many of them stating that they are Key/Maeda-Fans usually. So not even the fanboys are completely convinced it seems, which makes me believe that any "normal" person would rate the series even worse.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Megiddo, the reviews themselves don't sound all that good, and the rating gets worse for the later volumes (of course at the beginning you still have hope to get something decent later on), with many of them stating that they are Key/Maeda-Fans usually. So not even the fanboys are completely convinced it seems, which makes me believe that any "normal" person would rate the series even worse.

That is true, but not only do the ratings get lower, but the actual number of reviews get lower for each volume. For instance, the first BluRay has 132 reviews/ratings, whereas the second has 21. I can't read anything other than hiragana/katakana and a few basic kanji, so I can't read what is said, but I have to think those who were the most disappointed went ahead to rate the second volume before its release (along with the other subsequent volumes), which would explain the decreasing scores.

I know that I don't rate anything on Amazon until I have actually received the product. That way packaging or any disc errors can also be inserted to the review, not just an opinion of the show.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
Perhaps the American audiences aren't really interested in CUET GURLS IN HI-SCHOOL, for christ's sake.

As if that's everything there is. Not a valid excuse as there are plenty of worse shows licensed.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
And really Angel Beats comes across as written for a very niche crowd from the ground up to the point where it contained the obligatory concert scene in just about every episode for no reason I can assume other than that's what that crowd likes.

Watched all episodes before claiming that? But no, it's on par with any other type of anime, and its variability could be extended to a variety of fans. The anime had a farly big budget, thus its art was really good. And just so you know, anime itself is targeted at a very niche crowd.

I don't really care. You people can claim whatever you want, but keep in mind that its predecessors (Clannad, looking at you) have proven you wrong. So, saying that it won't sell well is purely biased speculation. And yes, I'm speaking about Angel Beats!, K-ON!, and Bakemonogatari.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I don't really care. You people can claim whatever you want, but keep in mind that its predecessors (Clannad, looking at you) have proven you wrong. So, saying that it won't sell well is purely biased speculation. And yes, I'm speaking about Angel Beats!, K-ON!, and Bakemonogatari.

You are being far too kind, egoist. What you politely term "biased speculation" I call more bluntly "retarded dumbassery." It never fails to amuse me when posters who don't know shit from shinola about R1 anime distribution spout their braindead nonsense. "Durrrr, me no liek dat show so it kant make no moneys here."

However, King of Harts - who, unlike these other Poindexters, actually does know what the eff he's talking about - has a point that the success of Angel Beats! in Japan may cause the Japanese rights holders to over-inflate their asking price for the R1 license, which may delay it coming out here for a while.

But anybody who honestly believes AB! won't end up on these shores at some point is a complete moron.
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kanon, even if it was the second series, made it over here, so I'm thinking (praying, hoping) Angel Beats! will. I never thought Kanon had a chance, and Boom! here it came.

Considering this was not based on one of their games like the past ones were, Key had a real hit on their hands.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2