• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nikkatsu's Sushi Typhoon Genre Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I'm pretty sure the live-action acquisitions get mentioned because, hey, there's a lot of overlap between anime fans and Asian live-action fans. Anyway, I kind of wish that companies would start releasing some more Asian films besides those in the horror/gore/crime genres. There's a lot of other interesting stuff out there (although maybe it'd be a bit pricier to license). I'm not saying don't license these more sensational titles, just-- more variety, please.

mdo7 wrote:
Does anybody watch any Asian dramas? K-Drama? Dramas from Hong Kong?
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I would love Funimation, Sentai, or Media Blasters to start importing some Japanese dramas. I have watched some online at Crunchyroll and other streaming sites that I have really enjoyed and would love to buy on DVD.
I've watched more dramas than anime by far, at this point. And as much as I'd love to buy my favorites (too many to list, but especially older shows that someone fansubbed off their old VHS tapes-- i.e. Long Vacation, Gift, Beach Boys, Virgin Road, Cheap Love, etc.), I have a feeling whoever holds the licenses would want a lot more money than would be reasonable considering how small the market here would be. For example, anyone trying to license a good lot of fan favorite J-dramas would probably run into the Johnnys Entertainment juggernaut almost instantly (not that I'm complaining but JE boys are in practically everything popular). K-Dramas seem to be the more likely candidates, yet none of my favorites have been licensed yet (Dal Ja's Spring, What's Up Fox, 9 Ends 2 Outs & Oh! My Lady, to name a few) so I'm still waiting to see if that market takes off any more than the few that have been picked up. I'm not exactly holding my breath but then again how many anime fans back in the day would've ever guessed they'd see anime available for purchase here? So maybe it's not totally crazy...

(P.S. As for TW dramas-- I've only seen like 1-1/3. I forced myself to finish-- wait for it-- Magicians of Love [yep, that one] and started Smiling Pasta before hitting my breaking point ~6 eps in and never looking back. Sorry.)

Well I kinda understand you want these dramas to go the USA. I want to see companies like Funimation, Sentai Film, and Media Blasters picking up Asian Dramas also. I would so love Funimation to pick up Martial arts drama from Hong Kong, Mainland China, and Taiwan. I wish TVB (a famous company in Hong Kong) to look at the non-Asian audience, they should put their show subtitled in English on Hulu. Who knows, American audience may like it the same way as Korean drama. Seeing the Korean Wave made Korean Drama got attention in USA, and seeing many people love Kung Fu/Martial Art film, and also Crunchyroll has shown a lot of Asian drama so it's possible there could be a market for Asian drama for US audience. There are benefit for non-Asian audience that Asian drama can do like:

-Any 3rd or 4th year student studying Asian foreign language like Korean, Japanese, or Chinese can use Asian drama show (without subtitle) to help sharpen their Asian foreign language skill. Beside Chinese, Japanese and Korean language is becoming the new Spanish and French class for learning foreign language.
-There are people who are majoring in Asian studies, or Asian history that can use Asian drama that take place in ancient time (like the martial arts drama from HK, Taiwan, and Mainland China, Samurai drama show from Japan, and Korean historical epic from South Korea) to understand better how life in ancient Asia was like. Most of the Asian drama that take place in ancient time seem to get most of the ancient culture correct (I hope).
-fans of Martial arts/Kung Fu movie may find the martial arts drama very appealing because of it's soap opera storylines, character development throughout episodes, and learning more about ancient China more from a 52+ episodes over a 90-min movie.
-There are people in USA who are multicultural and would like to see TV show from another country. Asian drama could appeal those people.

So you see there could be audiences that might want to watch Asian drama. They just need to experiment and see how many people want to watch it. Anime and Korean drama can do well, why not try it with Japanese and Chinese drama. It might do well in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2