• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMP Adds 10 Titles, New Original Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Demon City Shinjuku, that makes me happy now I really have to find were mom put Vamipre hunter D Dark road when she cleaned my room last week.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
About time the novel got licensed. It always irked me that we got stuck w/ the manga adaptation. As for the Wedding Peach manga-ka, does her stuff actually have a following here besides that fan who hated Animerica for trashing it? Rolling Eyes
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I love a lot of what Hideyuki Kikuchi does. He is a great writer and to see that DMP already has vampire Hunter D manga more of his work just makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see another Suzuki Tsuta title being licensed. I love her stories~
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for a license of Youka Nitta's works.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
•Kusatta Kyo Shino Houteishiki by Kazuma Kodaka

Bad Teacher's Equation!? Surprised

YESSSS!!! Finally! Anime hyper

*ahem*
Also...
Quote:
•Border by Kazuma Kodaka
•Gochisosama by CJ Michalski
•Boku no Shiru Anata no Hanashi by Tsuta Suzuki
•Sabaku no Oujisama by Shushushu Sakurai
Hmmm, don't remember if I've read any of these (I really can't keep track anymore*) but I'll definitely get the Shushushu Sakurai title regardless. Seems like her other stuff either got licensed but never published (see: Naked Jewels Corporation, Junk!) or went OOP.

*(P.S. Wait, was Border the buddy-cop story? I'll be getting that one too.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Juné Licenses:

Juné, huh. Sounds fancy. Razz
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Quote:

*ahem*

My reaction exactly Anime hyper. I was hoping for this manga to be licensed. I've always wanted to buy this, my favorite manga ever. I just love Kazuma Kodaka's work. The others are okay but this is what I was just dreaming for. (sigh, now to save up money to buy every volume...such a long series)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Quote:

*ahem*
Also...
Quote:
•Border by Kazuma Kodaka
•Gochisosama by CJ Michalski
•Boku no Shiru Anata no Hanashi by Tsuta Suzuki
•Sabaku no Oujisama by Shushushu Sakurai
Hmmm, don't remember if I've read any of these (I really can't keep track anymore*) but I'll definitely get the Shushushu Sakurai title regardless. Seems like her other stuff either got licensed but never published (see: Naked Jewels Corporation, Junk!) or went OOP.

I'm also ecstatic about Kusatta. Border, Kodaka's newest title, was being scanlated and I assume they'll be dropping it now, so if you want to check it out (it's sort-of "buddy cop" but they aren't cops, they're like thieves for hire or something?) before it gets pulled, tonight is the night. I don'tr recognize the others, but I already have a full plate of soon-to-be-release BL, so I am more than happy.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
poonk wrote:
Border, Kodaka's newest title, was being scanlated and I assume they'll be dropping it now, so if you want to check it out (it's sort-of "buddy cop" but they aren't cops, they're like thieves for hire or something?) before it gets pulled, tonight is the night.
Oh, yeah, I guess I was thinking of Kodaka's Mezase Hero!. Never occurred to me to look her ANN entry. Though it gives no info/pic for Border, I think I know the one you're talking about. Doesn't the main character have spoiler[a dead boyfriend in his past]? Am I even close?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Oh, yeah, I guess I was thinking of Kodaka's Mezase Hero!. Never occurred to me to look her ANN entry. Though it gives no info/pic for Border, I think I know the one you're talking about. Doesn't the main character have spoiler[a dead boyfriend in his past]? Am I even close?

Yes, he spoiler[died when the main character was enlisted in the (for some reason US?) military. ] Which, quite honestly that story arc saved the series for me. I didn't care one lick for any of the characters before then.
yblees

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Woohoo!
I bags Border, Gochisosama & the Suzuki Tsuta. Very Happy Very Happy
Extalia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
The interesting thing about DMP's licenses are that most of them are from Mag Garden, and Mag Garden already has a strong partnership with Tokyopop. It kind of makes you wonder whether or not DMP really did have to go out on a limb for those Mag titles or that there is the possibility of something similar to that of the Kodansha licenses lapse happpening all over again.
fightbait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:29 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to get my hands on Demon City Shinjuku!

I'm actually shocked that his books get released here at all considering how long it's been since the anime adaptations came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Quote:
Juné Licenses:

Juné, huh. Sounds fancy. Razz

Well, the term comes from a magazine for BL from ye olden days of the late '70s-- the first such yaoi manga magazine, actually --which was called June. But most Americans who look at that word are going to think the American pronunciation ("joon"), not the Japanese ("joo-neh"/ジュネ), so it's frequently written with an accent mark.

And, yes-- it's been a while since I was really keeping track of much BL, but even I perked a bit at Kusatta, which I recall being quite popular, but generally thought to be too long to be licensed in the US, where we typically get only single or 1-2 volume series, let alone 10. But then they released the bunko (5-volume) version in Japan, which makes it a lot more plausible.

Also I'm excited for more Itazura na Kiss, which is sort of a guilty pleasure for me. I don't know how long I'll be able to stand a manga whose primary story is that a very nice, well-intentioned, but not bright girl gets treated like crap by almost everyone around her. How did Tada pull it off?! @_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2