• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
I know at least 1 of the summer shows has already started, so a "simulcast" (in quotes due to CR having fudged the definition of that themselves) is going to be difficult....

You're way behind. I've seen 5 so far, and out of them I'd say at least 4 could be taken by CR, given their quality.

Quote:
I'm a paying member there and I have to ask myself, what am I getting for my dollars?

Depends on how many shows you're watching. For me, at least, I've seen 100 episodes of new shows during the past 3 months, and that cost me $20 roughly. 20 cents per episode? (Now take that down to my currency, £0.13.) That's, I'm just counting the long running shonen, 24 episode series from fall, and 12 episode series from spring. I could've watched more stuff if I wanted to. I'm doing perfectly fine as you can see.

Oh, right. I also watched 201 episodes of Gintama within the past 3 months. So, make that 7 cents per episode. Ad-free with 720p available in most cases.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
I know at least 1 of the summer shows has already started, so a "simulcast" (in quotes due to CR having fudged the definition of that themselves) is going to be difficult....

You're way behind. I've seen 5 so far, and out of them I'd say at least 4 could be taken by CR, given their quality.

Quote:
I'm a paying member there and I have to ask myself, what am I getting for my dollars?

Depends on how many shows you're watching. For me, at least, I've seen 100 episodes of new shows during the past 3 months, and that cost me $20 roughly. 20 cents per episode? (Now take that down to my currency, £0.13.) That's, I'm just counting the long running shonen, 24 episode series from fall, and 12 episode series from spring. I could've watched more stuff if I wanted to. I'm doing perfectly fine as you can see.

Oh, right. I also watched 201 episodes of Gintama within the past 3 months. So, make that 7 cents per episode. Ad-free with 720p available in most cases.

Oh, I have totally gobbled up their back catalog but I'm always looking for new things to watch and CR actually works at work.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Actually, come to think about it, the big teaser news out of the CR panel is the last bit ... if they are talking publicly about users that are authorized to upload subtitles for their region, they must have talked some of the rights owners into allowing that.

If this means German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Romanian, Hungarian, etc. etc.) subtitles in Europe, Thai, Malay, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesia, Cantonese for Southeast Asia, Arabic and Farsi in the Middle East ... that could open the way for getting the interest from advertisers to allow Crunchy to break through the region restriction blocks in Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

I thought that at first but if the video still isn't available, having subtitles for those regions won't really mean much.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
The big question, which is still unanswered by CR, is "what's next?" They have announced no new series for this summer and seem to only be continuing the series that did not end.

CR's live report at AX said that they will announce new shows this week.
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Dude, do you realize how many times they simulcast stuff way after it has started airing? Probably the best example would be their latest acquisition Giant Killing which didn't start until 9 episodes had already aired.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Actually, come to think about it, the big teaser news out of the CR panel is the last bit ... if they are talking publicly about users that are authorized to upload subtitles for their region, they must have talked some of the rights owners into allowing that.

If this means German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Romanian, Hungarian, etc. etc.) subtitles in Europe, Thai, Malay, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesia, Cantonese for Southeast Asia, Arabic and Farsi in the Middle East ... that could open the way for getting the interest from advertisers to allow Crunchy to break through the region restriction blocks in Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

I thought that at first but if the video still isn't available, having subtitles for those regions won't really mean much.

The likely strategy would be to get subtitles for the few shows that are available in those markets, and then use the viewership that those attract to get streaming ad contracts, then use the streaming ad contracts as leverage to gain permission to stream more into those countries.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly a huge vote of confidence for how CR has been doing is it? The fact that they have yet to earn a single dime means the millions of dollars in investments have been lost. CR has literally lost other peoples money.

The encouraging side is that half of revenue (for those that don't know this is before profit is calculated) is going to the original source owners. So even though CR is doing dismal as a business, at least they are helping out a very needy industry. But given the outfits propensity for lying it is hard to know if this is even believable,

I would say the plans to go mobile are its best chances to actually start making real money. Lesser companies (and that is saying a lot given the context) have made a killing with apps that do virtually nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Not exactly a huge vote of confidence for how CR has been doing is it? The fact that they have yet to earn a single dime means the millions of dollars in investments have been lost. CR has literally lost other peoples money.

Uh.. you're not very familiar with how startup tech companies work, are you?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

If by tech you mean Internet then no. But how different is it from a regular start up? Capital must still be invested into "property and equipment" yes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Or start up entertainment companies for that matter. Cable networks usually loose money for years before finally breaking even. The same thing applies to video streaming sites.

New companies can take a long time to make money. Breaking even is a good point to reach. YouTube hasn't even done that yet.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
YouTube hasn't even done that yet.

Which is ridiculous as far as I am concerned. Whatever backdoor revenue stream that benefits the parent is, it must be pretty hefty, and I sure would like to know what it is.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
YouTube hasn't even done that yet.

Which is ridiculous as far as I am concerned. Whatever backdoor revenue stream that benefits the parent is, it must be pretty hefty, and I sure would like to know what it is.

It serves as a huge part of Googles ad network, so that's the biggest advantage for them there. Besides, it may not be profitable yet, but Google has very deeps pockets so they probably aren't that concerned with it.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
The big question, which is still unanswered by CR, is "what's next?" They have announced no new series for this summer and seem to only be continuing the series that did not end.

CR's live report at AX said that they will announce new shows this week.
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Dude, do you realize how many times they simulcast stuff way after it has started airing? Probably the best example would be their latest acquisition Giant Killing which didn't start until 9 episodes had already aired.

As I said, CR redefined what simulcast means....
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Yeah, from one hour after broadcast, to one hour after broadcast.

Having Crunchyroll "defining" the episode when they start simulcasting suggests that CR said to the Giant Killing production committee, "OK, you are willing to allow this series to premiere on Crunchyroll one hour after episode one goes to air, but we'd rather wait until week 9 to build up the suspense" ... it seems far more likely that its dithering by the Japanese production committees that results in mid-season starts.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Not exactly a huge vote of confidence for how CR has been doing is it?

Hitting break-even in under three years? What kind of microwave quick-pop business model do you have in mind that you are comparing it to?

For real world start-ups, hitting break-even in under three years, and indeed hitting break-even just before experiencing a major increase in viewership, is excellent performance. Lots of venture capital is invested expecting to wait five years or more to see a return.

Quote:
The fact that they have yet to earn a single dime means the millions of dollars in investments have been lost. CR has literally lost other peoples money.

That's what venture capital is: money to spend while building a new line of business. The venture capitalists would be judging its performance against its growth benchmarks. As, indeed, would new investors - neither TV Tokyo nor Bitway are two-bit fly by night operations, and neither would be investing their money in Crunchyroll if they thought it was likely to be lost.

Quote:
So even though CR is doing dismal as a business, ...

They hit break-even in May, in under three years of operation as a streaming-service provider for anime production committees, and starting June they are experiencing a surge in viewership. Almost all new start-ups would love to be doing that dismally.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Yeah, from one hour after broadcast, to one hour after broadcast.

Having Crunchyroll "defining" the episode when they start simulcasting suggests that CR said to the Giant Killing production committee, "OK, you are willing to allow this series to premiere on Crunchyroll one hour after episode one goes to air, but we'd rather wait until week 9 to build up the suspense" ... it seems far more likely that its dithering by the Japanese production committees that results in mid-season starts.

Yeah, they rebroadcast Haruhi and Gundam Wing one hour after broadcast. And yes, they do label those uploads as simulcasts.

But hey, keep drinking the cool-aid buddy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5