• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds K-On! TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
I don't want to sound like a dick to dub fans, but to be honest, I'd prefer there wasn't a dub simply because that would mean the release would come out much faster.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
well bandai knows they have to be careful and make the right decisions with k-on, people are already upset about how they are handling kurokami, so if it turns out they can not release a blu-ray with subtitles, and would have to make it dub only, they might not do it, this is why companies need to be clear when they announce a new license, we, the buyers of anime, want to know all the details as soon as you say you have the license, bandai knows we want a blu-ray with dual audio, and subtitles,

now today let's see what announcements funimation has, they say on their blog they have some huge announcements, and not just show licenses
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ELDRAGON wrote:
How the hell are they gonna dub "Moe Moe KYUN!!!" into english?

Something like "Cute Cute MOO!!"

I couldn't have put it better myself. Regardless, there must be some way to please dub fans. One presumes there is money to be made from them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
hmm I'm not much of a moe person, but since Vee is going to be voicing in it I'll try it out since Vee's voice is amazing. Anyways still waiting for the Ef series, Card Captor re-dub, 07 Ghost, re release of Ceres, Kyo Kara Maoh third series,etc come on somebody make this fangirl proud this year D=
386sky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
You think as they could translate the credits for the opening, as listed in Livedoor's encyclopedia main credits for the opening:
原作 = Original Author
プロデューサー = Producers
シリーズ構成 = Series Construction
キャラクターデザイン = Character Design
音楽プロデューサー = Music Producer
音楽 = Music
音響監督 = Sound Director
編集 = Editor
美術 = Art Director
色彩設計 = Color Design
撮影監督 = Director of Photography
楽器設定 = Instrument Configuration
監督 = Director
アニメーション制作 = Animation Studio
製作協力 = Production Support
製作 = Production

Last edited by 386sky on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I don't want to sound like a dick to dub fans, but to be honest, I'd prefer there wasn't a dub simply because that would mean the release would come out much faster.

They may not recoup the license fee....................... Well, unless they still charge a high enough price for it, then ya can get it faster yet they can afford the fee.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
People who want K-On finally get it, then other people come in and start hating. There's a kind of myopic, schadenfreude-seeking attitude that pervades these types of complaints, as if people want companies to put all their eggs in one basket--their basket namely.

Hang on, I never said I have any problem with live and let live. Nor did the poster you we're responding to initially. As long as I'm seeing a decent number of titles I like licensed you'll get no complaining out of me. That's the problem though. Both of us were expressing frustration at the lack of titles we are interested being picked up. I don't expect the industry to put all it's eggs 'my' one basket. My frustration is that the opposite seems to be happening. That being the case, yeah. It is pretty annoying to see fans of these kinds of shows so heavily catered to.

Quote:
Yet when you take a step back and look at what kinds of stuff gets licensed, it covers a pretty damn broad spectrum and my previous statement true about one title never precluding the licensing of another, or other types.

I don't know. I think back to what's been licensed over the last year or so and it seems pretty unbalanced to me. I can think of easily a dozen or more titles I'd like to see that remain unlicensed but only a few that have been.

Quote:
The licensing of K-On does not preclude the licensing of any other title so what is there to complain about?

Well, as with the whole vote with your wallet thing, this is a nice sentiment that a lot of people would like to believe but in reality it's just not that simple. Yeah, in the simplest terms X series being picked up doesn't mean it's impossible for Y to be picked up. However in reality there's only so much money and resources available to companies and so there is only so many series they can put out. For every series they put out that doesn't interest me, that's one less potential interesting release. Obviously that's perfectly reasonable to an extent. As I said before, I don't expect every release to be something I like. Just a reasonable balance. Hence, no one series is a problem. With the anime industry as small as it is though, it adds up fast. It's not a problem that K-ON was licensed. It's a problem this, plus a bunch of other stuff. Again, I'm totally happy to live and let live if possible but I can't help but feel like it isn't or at least it's not happening.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Both of us were expressing frustration at the lack of titles we are interested being picked up.

I can definitely understand this. However, this is just the cycle of anime, unfortunately. There simply isn't enough money to go around to license everything (to DVD), so the best bet is to pick the one more likely to sell.

I feel for the CEOs (well, some more than others) for having to be forced this hand. If they had their way, and the buying public was there, all would be well.

I just hope we don't get back to the days of years ago, when prices were based on potential popularity. If it does, we're right back to 2003 with an even smaller buying market.

All I can offer is hang tight and hope for the best because things don't look to change anytime soon.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Isn't that kinda false advertisement? Having trailers and promos with a dub and then not dubbing, I mean. Unless it's gonna be like the ASOS. Are companies normally this vague about whether or not there's gonna be a dub or if it's even gonna be on DVD? (I currently don't own a Blu-ray player...)

Also, why do some people want dubs but demand for them not to dub the songs? Can't they just switch the audio? I know that, at the very least, my DVD player's remote has a button for that. I find characters who were speaking English the whole time randomly singing in Japanese (sometimes in a completely different sounding voice) really jarring. (See Full Moon wo Sagashite. How can you do that in a show about singing?)
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I WANT A DUB okay, thanks. *chugs soda, belches*

Same here. I'd be really really pissed if for some reason Bandai pulls a Sentai/Section 23 and gives it a sub only release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I WANT A DUB okay, thanks. *chugs soda, belches*

Same here. I'd be really really pissed if for some reason Bandai pulls a Sentai/Section 23 and gives it a sub only release.

I wouldn't be pissed, but I would be disappointed. But a sub-only Bandai release certainly isn't without a lot of precedent, and after getting burned by other "otaku-centric" titles like Lucky Star I could understand it.

I would doubly disappointed as the other company that almost had this was almost assuredly going to dub it. But I have a strong feeling this was the "other" show that Bang Zoom was talking about, and I'm not too worried about it. Though there is always the possibility that dubbing hasn't started yet, or isn't too far along and Bandai could cancel it.

The R1 market has been very unpredictable lately.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Isn't that kinda false advertisement? Having trailers and promos with a dub and then not dubbing, I mean. Unless it's gonna be like the ASOS.

Everthing I have heard, albeit third-hand, suggests that it is going to be like the ASOS.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Sub or dub, Bandai will always delay multiple times.

Also, learn patience. I hear it's a valuable life skill.

Zin5ki wrote:
I couldn't have put it better myself. Regardless, there must be some way to please dub fans. One presumes there is money to be made from them.
Virtually every company rep that's addressed the issue of sub-only vs. hybrid releases makes it clear that hybrid (bilingual) releases always sell more copies. That's why we're seeing some re-releases with English dubs, which are selling well.

There's money to be made from we English dub preferring fans, it just costs money to make that money, so if you're company is already hemorrhaging funds. . . . Well, some companies with smaller budgets just can't see the value of an English dub.

We English dub fans really aren't that hard to please. We just want a dub that wasn't incompetently produced. (Biggest problem with competency regarding Bandai is their defective discs, not their dub choices!)

Altorrin wrote:
Also, why do some people want dubs but demand for them not to dub the songs? Can't they just switch the audio? I know that, at the very least, my DVD player's remote has a button for that. I find characters who were speaking English the whole time randomly singing in Japanese (sometimes in a completely different sounding voice) really jarring. (See Full Moon wo Sagashite. How can you do that in a show about singing?)
Couldn't agree more. I very much appreciate the talent of the Japanese singers but come on, there are some talented English VAs that sing too!

Wendee Lee did two songs for Haruhi and she was great.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper I told my brother this and the first thing he did was scream "WHAT!? LINK. NOW!" He fell in love with this series so no doubt he'll be purchasing this as soon as it's available...or he'll make me get it for him. One of the two.

I personally have yet to see it (not a big fan of moe shows, but I'm trying to warm up to them), but more than likely I will now that it's been license.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Vinnems wrote:
Lucky Star is licensed. K-on is licensed now. For *$#*$%& sake, Kanokon is licensed. Yet Dennou Coil remains unlicensed, Kaiba remains unlicensed, Mind Game remains unlicensed, Trapeze, etc. And people ask why I don't buy anime anymore...

And people ask why the shows you want licensed aren't licensed...

jenthehen wrote:
ELDRAGON wrote:
I only have one question...

How the hell are they gonna dub "Moe Moe KYUN!!!" into english?

lol ... it seems like the newer trend in anime dubbing is to assume that fans (especially fans buying K-On) are familiar with "moe moe kyun" so they just leave it as that ... I've seen "moe" and many other "anime/japanese" words left alone in dubs recently.

Really? I've seen moe left untranslated in subtitles, but I don't remember it in any dubs. Can you provide any specific examples, or is that asking too much?

They use the term "moe" in the Haruhi Suzumiya dub and they use the term "sensei" (instead of, say, "professor") in Honey and Clover (although most English speakers are probably familiar with that term). I know I've heard other terms used and was surprised by them ... I could have sworn I heard "loli" or "lolicon" used in a joke setting. In Clannad dub they still use "Anpan" instead of translating it to a different food. That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I remember being surprised at some untranslated usages in dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12