• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon: Highschool of the Dead License to Be Revealed at AX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Haha I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that Geneon announced this before the actual company did, or that Geneon still has an AX panel. When I read the title of the article I thought this meant that Geneon was getting back in the game, but actually reading the article left my hopes crushed. I guess the only real question is who the other company is. I'm to guess Section 28 Films or Sentai, no real reason other than I think this seems like a good chance for them. As for my opinion of the show it's self... I'm undecided about it. I'm not sure how this will turn out. I guess I'll give it a shot since Tetsuro Araki is directing it and Yousuke Kuroda wrote the screenplay.

P.S. Anime Network is not a licensing company, so it's obviously not going to be them. This banner is up most likely to promo the fact that their partners will be getting the series. And their partners are non other than Sentai.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wolve3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Sentai just sent out press releases about it, and they will be dubbing the show.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1797031

Last edited by wolve3 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I said Funimation because I wanted a guaranteed dub, but I'll take a Sentai dub, too. It's 85% the same people anyways.

So uh...HELL YES FOR HSOTD. Here's hoping the manga gets picked up too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I just read over on the Mania forums that the show is licensed by Sentai Filmworks and will be released with a dub. Here:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.phpp=1797045#post1797045

Whoops someone beat me to it! Laughing

Last edited by jmfsilenthill on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Its confirmed. Sentai has it, heres the press release:

Quote:
SENTAI FILMWORKS ANNOUNCES
HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD LICENSE
LOS ANGELES (Anime Expo), July 2, 2010—Sentai Filmworks today announced its acquisition of the new hit anime series HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD. Based on the ultra-violent manga by Daisuke Sato, directed by Tetsuro Araki (Deathnote, Black Lagoon) and produced by the internationally famed studio Madhouse (Deathnote, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D-Bloodlust, Wicked City) HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD combines hordes of flesh-eating zombies with state of the art animation for one of the most action packed anime series ever!
Sentai Filmworks will be releasing HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD in both English dubbed and subtitled versions throughout North America.
A deadly new disease is ravaging the world, turning the populace into mindless zombies, and the number of infected is skyrocketing by the second. As their fellow classmates and teachers succumb to the infection around them, a small group of students at Fujimi High School are fighting for their lives after surviving the initial outbreak. Now it’s up to Takashi Komuro to unite a small group of blood-soaked survivors in a desperate bid to escape! School’s not just out for the summer, it may be out forever as a handful of students face the ultimate test, survival, in HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD!
About Sentai Filmworks:
Sentai Filmworks is one of the fastest-growing anime companies in North America, including hit series like Guin Saga, XAM’d, Clannad, Gintama, Eyeshield 21 and hit movies like Appleseed. Sentai Filmworks programs can be found on home video distributed by Ingram Entertainment, Baker & Taylor, Section23Films, The Right Stuff and other good and fine distributors. Digital product offerings may be found at iTunes, Netflix, Amazon, Zune Marketplace, Anime Network, Playstation Network and YouTube.

Its awsome that it'll be dubbed right out of the gate. Ill definitely be getting this

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Sentai is dubbing it? Chalk this up as another buy for me!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Good work, Sentai. This could well be another purchase for me, and just after you licensed Xam'd too!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that Sentai is dubbing a lot more of their licenses. ^^ Hopefully this, along with Xam'd and the other titles they're dubbing, will turn out to be big hits for them (I personally am not interested in HSOTD at the moment, but once it becomes available on Anime Network on Demand, I'll give it a shot).
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:

P.S. Anime Network is not a licensing company, so it's obviously not going to be them. This banner is up most likely to promo the fact that their partners will be getting the series. And their partners are non other than Sentai.

True, but they still have to license the TV and digital rights for any shows they air or stream. They also acquire those rights for shows that Sentai has licensed, like their shows from Enoki and Right Stuf/Nozomi.

I'm all pumped for K-On!, but this news beats it hand down. It's good to see Sentai getting back to some of ADV's better habits. Confirming a dub right away is an awesome move. The simulcast and probable HD stream are just icing on the cake, very delicious icing.
fightbait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yo dawg, I heard you like announcements, so I made an announcement about your announcement so bloggers can blog while they're blogging.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I am excited to hear this, however. High School of the Dead is good stuff. At least, the one chapter I read led me to believe so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Good to know this will get both a simulcast and an english dub. Hopefully well get a Blu-ray release too but I'm just glad its licensed and simulcasted.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Good to know this will get both a simulcast and an english dub. Hopefully well get a Blu-ray release too but I'm just glad its licensed and simulcasted.

I'm hoping for a bluray too. They're doing them for Ghost Hound and Xam'd, so I hope they can pull it off here too. Though I guess that's ultimately dependent on whether Geneon will let them do it or not.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Geneon pulled a Willy Wonka. It didn't go out of business, it just closed its doors. Later it teamed up with Funimation to distribute some of it's properties.
They may be planning to annouce a new label.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
IT'S NOT GENEON USA

IT'S GENEON UNIVERSAL

company#8953

NO, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. Holy god, I hate saying people are stupid, but really, you are! That Geneon, the one that licensed and released stuff here, is very much gone.

That aside, good for HSotD. Too bad it's only going to be 12 or 13 episodes, which means it'll have no conclusion, or it will make one up for the anime.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
IT'S NOT GENEON USA

IT'S GENEON UNIVERSAL

company#8953

NO, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. Holy god, I hate saying people are stupid, but really, you are! That Geneon, the one that licensed and released stuff here, is very much gone.

That aside, good for HSotD. Too bad it's only going to be 12 or 13 episodes, which means it'll have no conclusion, or it will make one up for the anime.

I know that already. I call them Geneon/Denstu Universal or NBCUniversal Japan.

What I was saying is that they could be planning to annouce a new label.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5