• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Quark wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Oh noes, sub only

Okay, we get it, you don't want to buy 'glorified fansubs.' You keep stating it over and over again that you hate Nozomi, and you hate sub-only disks. So why waste your time, and ours by repeatedly coming in here and trashing a company that has a very devoted fanbase? Go watch your precious fansubs, and leave the rest of us to be happy about the new Nozomi licenses.

The Utena DVDs are going to have a dub, so why are you even having this conversation with him?

Apparantly So-ra-no-Wo-to isn't getting a dub, which has led to his complaining about the no dub. But, going by the fact that half his 'collection' is burned disks, and he won't buy anything over $10, he probably wouldn't have bought the series anyway.
You're right though, I should have ignored it, and instead focused on the awesome news of finally being able to get my hands on a complete set of remastered Utena, and So-ra-no-Wo-to (which I have no clue about, but will buy, because Nozomi rocks my socks)

I said I won't pay over $10 for a VOLUME. Learn to read properly. I'll pay more than that for an entire series. How much would depend on the length of the series and how much I like the series.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
My problem isn't just with Sora no Woto. It's with Nozomi, which used to be a good company that did original dubs, but has degenerated into a company that only does rehashes of old dubs and glorified fansub releases. They ruin a title from possibly having a dub down the road by licensing it and releasing it as a glorified fansub. Nozomi isn't going to license it to someone else to dub it because it would eat into their glorified fansub dvd sales since the dub would also have a sub-only track. I cringe when I hear Nozomi has licensed an anime I love because I know they just killed any chance of that anime ever getting a dub.
Why don't you dub it yourself? Official DVD releases just have glorified fandubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
It's hardly "to [go?] straight back to" when the episodes are a week apart, and some people feel that drama needs to be offset with something a little lighter (especially given where the story headed off to the following episode). The episode wasn't entirely about needing to get to the bathroom (that was just a small element of it). I didn't see it as a case of ""lol she wants to pee"", but rather that she took her job seriously, and didn't want to be the one to cause issues with HQ during the one time a year that HQ pays any attention to their outpost.
I wouldn't say "it's hardly [jarring?] to go straight back to" because episode 7 provided a pivotal turn in the mood of the series.

Wow... First I screw up the quotation attributions, and then I'm also leaving words behind. Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night. ^_^;

Quote:
And you know what? I wouldn't have minded episode 8 with all its troubles, if Kanata spoiler[hadn't gone and pissed herself].But after that it was purely appealing to weird fetishes out there and no longer about her duty.

After she left the phone, or after her mishap?

I'm not sure that the moment was there for the fetishists in this case (I _can_ believe it's there in Juuden-chan for that purpose), and I won't be counting it as a highlight of the series.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Aside its appealing premise and production values, there is something else that excites me about the news regarding So-ra-no-Wo-to.

Now that it has been licensed for physical distribution, I can now rest safe in the knowledge that Crunchyroll is not merely the place to which series are cosigned if they aren't sufficiently popular for a DVD release.

Perhaps Crunchyroll can now be looked at as a place for series-that-Funi-doesn't-want to go until their license fees fall far enough for one of the others to pick them up? ^_^
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
My problem isn't just with Sora no Woto. It's with Nozomi, which used to be a good company that did original dubs, but has degenerated into a company that only does rehashes of old dubs and glorified fansub releases.

It's rare that we see anything from Funimation that doesn't qualify as a bare-bones, no-extras "glorified fansub". If the only extras on a release are credit-free OP/ED, and a dub, then it falls into that category for me. If that's all that they're selling to me, then I can get as much enjoyment from a fansub. I buy these barebones releases from Funi and others, but that's because I enjoy the show, and I want a few cents to trickle back to the Japanese people and companies behind them. Nozomi puts far more effort into producing a product that I'm very happy to own, rather than one that I'm somewhat grudgingly purchasing.

Quote:
I cringe when I hear Nozomi has licensed an anime I love because I know they just killed any chance of that anime ever getting a dub.

Blame Funimation, ADV, or one of the other companies for not picking up Soranowoto, then. Unless the Japanese producers of the series went straight to Nozomi and told them to release it in the US, any of the other companies could have licensed it. Don't blame Nozomi.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Quote:
I cringe when I hear Nozomi has licensed an anime I love because I know they just killed any chance of that anime ever getting a dub.

Blame Funimation, ADV, or one of the other companies for not picking up Soranowoto, then. Unless the Japanese producers of the series went straight to Nozomi and told them to release it in the US, any of the other companies could have licensed it. Don't blame Nozomi.

Or blame the size of the market, because if the market would sustain the dub, Funimation, Sentai/Section23, or Viz would have picked it up for a hybrid release.

RightStuf makes money either way, so Nozomi is not in the business of trying to outbid for licenses that some other company has interest in. Their focus is on titles that would otherwise not be licensed for R1 release.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I guess the bigger issue is that they aren't interested in doing BD releases. It's too bad, because I'd love to own a good BD copy of SnW.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
firehawk12 wrote:
I guess the bigger issue is that they aren't interested in doing BD releases. It's too bad, because I'd love to own a good BD copy of SnW.

I love Nozomi, but yeah, I also wish they would do BD. Sora no woto certainly deserves it. I really hope they would use this opportunity to enter the Bluray market.....
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Is it that a company rep actually said Nozomi will be releasing DVD only, or that no one has yet announced that BD will be an option?
poehitman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Quote:

Or blame the size of the market, because if the market would sustain the dub, Funimation, Sentai/Section23, or Viz would have picked it up for a hybrid release.

RightStuf makes money either way, so Nozomi is not in the business of trying to outbid for licenses that some other company has interest in. Their focus is on titles that would otherwise not be licensed for R1 release.

If you know about the market, then you know the market is fluid. It's always changing. An anime may pick up popularity later on due to something happening in Japan. Maybe a really popular sequel is released and it would then be profitable to dub the first series, but with Nozomi holding the license, it will never be done.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
If you know about the market, then you know the market is fluid. It's always changing. An anime may pick up popularity later on due to something happening in Japan. Maybe a really popular sequel is released and it would then be profitable to dub the first series, but with Nozomi holding the license, it will never be done.

Why? We don't need glorified fandubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:

IMO, losing 9 sub-only releases because an unpredictable 1 out of 10 might see a favorable shift in buzz to allow it to a crack at a dub is not a winning deal.

And that scenario implies more delays in releases versus Japanese release.

Its not like the drop in the share of titles produced for hybrid release was based on some grand theory sweeping the industry ... it was the experience of a number of hydrid releases not earning back their dubbing costs.

And, realistically, which are the dub-candidate releases are you talking about? Sora no Woto? Marimite? Aria? Emma?
poehitman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
poehitman wrote:

IMO, losing 9 sub-only releases because an unpredictable 1 out of 10 might see a favorable shift in buzz to allow it to a crack at a dub is not a winning deal.

And that scenario implies more delays in releases versus Japanese release.

Its not like the drop in the share of titles produced for hybrid release was based on some grand theory sweeping the industry ... it was the experience of a number of hydrid releases not earning back their dubbing costs.

And, realistically, which are the dub-candidate releases are you talking about? Sora no Woto? Marimite? Aria? Emma?

Regardless of semantics, the fact remains the same. Most dub fans will not buy a sub-only release. My experiences with "official" sub-only releases show them the quality of the translation to be suspect. That is supposedly the main selling point of a sub-only release. A translation off the "official" script. But when a translator can't even get the name of a main character right, how can I trust that the rest of the translation is accurate? The supposed "extras" are worthless to me. I don't care what the creator says in an interview and I don't care for creditless OP and ED sequences. I can make a cover on my own and I can buy empty cases.

And despite what you say, a dub track is not an "extra". It's the main selling point of a region 1 dvd for me and all other dub fans. The fact of the matter is, I'm not going to waste what little money I have purchasing something if the manufacturer doesn't want to make the investment of a dub to make it a quality product. It's as simple as that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:

Regardless of semantics, the fact remains the same. Most dub fans will not buy a sub-only release. My experiences with "official" sub-only releases show them the quality of the translation to be suspect.
Which level of the JLPT have you taken?

EDIT: And names don't mean squat. Those aren't' translated. They're merely Anglicized (if needed). And names don't only sound screwy in the subtitles. I remember when I watch Gundam SEED fansubbed as it was coming out in Japan many years ago, it had Asuran Zara, Kagari, Frey, Rakusu, etc. When I turned on Toonami a few years later and SEED was playing, I heard Athrun Zala, Cagalli, Fllay, Lacus, etc. Names get warped through Anglicization, be it in the subtitles or the dub.
firehawk12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Is it that a company rep actually said Nozomi will be releasing DVD only, or that no one has yet announced that BD will be an option?

Well, not specifically, but based on that ANN podcast/interview a while ago, they don't seem to be interested in the expense of producing BDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10