• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
poehitman wrote:
If you know about the market, then you know the market is fluid. It's always changing. An anime may pick up popularity later on due to something happening in Japan. Maybe a really popular sequel is released and it would then be profitable to dub the first series, but with Nozomi holding the license, it will never be done.

Why? We don't need glorified fandubs.

To my ears, that basically sounds like what the Lyrical Nanoha dub was.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I come back from vacation to find that we're getting the Utena remasters?

Looks like I'm buying the show for the third time!
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
poehitman wrote:

Regardless of semantics, the fact remains the same. Most dub fans will not buy a sub-only release. My experiences with "official" sub-only releases show them the quality of the translation to be suspect.
Which level of the JLPT have you taken?

EDIT: And names don't mean squat. Those aren't' translated. They're merely Anglicized (if needed). And names don't only sound screwy in the subtitles. I remember when I watch Gundam SEED fansubbed as it was coming out in Japan many years ago, it had Asuran Zara, Kagari, Frey, Rakusu, etc. When I turned on Toonami a few years later and SEED was playing, I heard Athrun Zala, Cagalli, Fllay, Lacus, etc. Names get warped through Anglicization, be it in the subtitles or the dub.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I just started studying Japanese, so I may be) but the name that he claims is incorrect is Coartie/Coatie which, to my understanding, is pretty much the same thing. Y'know, seeing as how the Japanese 'r' is much much softer than an English 'r'.
But, poehitman is a master of the Japanese language, and can sniff out quickly and easily a poorly done professional translation, versus the high-quality, never-wrong, fan-translation, so I'm probably wrong.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

All dubs are glorified fandubs. And thus, we should never buy the DVDs because we can just download for free. Razz

If people want to use that argument for not buying sub-only DVDs, might as well use it for BOTH. It works both ways. Guess I won't be buying anything with an English dub or subtitles anymore. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
This is great news something old (Utena) and something new (So-ra-no-Wo-to) so I look forward to this good for Right Stuff getting a hold of this.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

All dubs are glorified fandubs. And thus, we should never buy the DVDs because we can just download for free. Razz

If people want to use that argument for not buying sub-only DVDs, might as well use it for BOTH. It works both ways. Guess I won't be buying anything with an English dub or subtitles anymore. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

I've tried making this argument before. It doesn't work with the hardcore dub only people. Most of them believe it's only wrong to download if the anime is dubbed. Fansubs, illegal streaming of subtitled shows, and downloading are all perfectly acceptable apparently. **rolls eyes**

Either that, or if you reverse the logic and ask why someone should pay for a dubbed anime series, when they can just as easily download it for free, they just won't answer you.

This is the internet, you can't make logical arguments. Razz
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

Anime is all glorified fan-film anyway, so don't even bother, dude. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
poehitman wrote:

And names don't mean squat. Those aren't' translated. They're merely Anglicized (if needed).
*snip*
Names get warped through Anglicization, be it in the subtitles or the dub.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I just started studying Japanese, so I may be) but the name that he claims is incorrect is Coartie/Coatie which, to my understanding, is pretty much the same thing. Y'know, seeing as how the Japanese 'r' is much much softer than an English 'r'.
I would think it would depend of on how her name is pronounced in Japanese, not so much the katakana of her name. And since I'm never going to touch Polyphonica with a 10 foot pole other than laughing hardily at this, it doesn't even matter.
pasteloverdose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So excited for Utena! I watched about half of the show a years ago. I've heard so many good things about it, so I'm eager to finish it. The fact that it's remastered DVDs makes it even more awesome. The new artwork is beautiful. (I've always been a Right Stuf/Nozomi fan - now I love them even more!)
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I sent RightStuf an e-mail with my hopes of an eventually Blu-ray release for Sora no Woto. For everyone else interested, I suggest you do the same.

Just MAYBE they will take notice. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
Alright, this didn't make ANN's news list, but I talked to Shawne after the ANNcast, and the good news is he's trying to port over the CPM extras. The bad news is no trade-ins for people who own the CPM discs. Crying or Very sad

poehitman: These liner notes could end up discussing the actual production of the eps, so they might be worth-while.

Quote:
It's with Nozomi, which used to be a good company that did original dubs, but has degenerated into a company that only does rehashes of old dubs and glorified fansub releases.

You're not really winning support with your comments, man. They're rescuing and supporting fan-favorites, FFS.

Quote:
They ruin a title from possibly having a dub down the road by licensing it and releasing it as a glorified fansub.

Look, most people just want to watch those shows without torrenting or paying import fees. But if the dub audience was there for these specific properties, then the dubs would happen. FUNi can claim otherwise, but if that were the case, then it would actually finish up Kodocha.

Quote:
I said I won't pay over $10 for a VOLUME.

Jesus, how cheap can you get? Ten bucks is a steal!

Quote:
If you know about the market, then you know the market is fluid. It's always changing. An anime may pick up popularity later on due to something happening in Japan.

That's great, but if the Japanese company has a buyer, why the hell should it have to wait for a bigger audience for it, just to appease dub fans?

Quote:
Most dub fans will not buy a sub-only release.

Meh, then they don't really like anime, anyway, and are probably just posers jumping on the band wagon. Good riddance.

Quote:
But when a translator can't even get the name of a main character right, how can I trust that the rest of the translation is accurate?

Translators go by what the Japanese creators want. You don't like the names, write a letter to Japan.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
If the Japanese director approves of it (which he does, he supervised the production of the movie dub), then it's good (he even named his car, "Rachel" after Rachel Lillis).

Well, almost right. He supervised and approved of the movie dub, but he didn't oversee the series dub.

For all its bizarreness, the movie was actually a little bit easier to dub and a little more straightforward. I think they did an amazing job on the movie.

The series, on the other hand, it's totally different. Not only are the characters richer and deeper, they're sometimes (supposed to be) polar opposites from what you see in the movie. Someone forgot to tell the VAs that, unfortunately.

All of the VAs are quite talented, but the ADR dubbing direction was horrible. I'm not a huge fan of Anthy or series-Shiori (they should have used a different VA -- movie-Shiori was awesome, but different), but I'd be fine with ALL of them if they produced a new dub from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10