• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2010 - Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Again, there's no reason to buy FUNi's release. Rightstuf's copies have been sitting in the bargain bin forever: $9 for Dual Matrix (with Lunch Box and Figure!), $4 for Poly-Matrix Movie, $11.24 for the orginal OVAs. I highly doubt that anything FUNi releases would be cheaper. So people go to buy FUNi's release, see the cheaper old Geneon releases, and buy those. I also doubt Armitage has enough fanbase left to even sell out the rest of those old Geneon DVDs either.

If they are remastered, there is PLENTY of reason. If not, you're right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd double dip for the Armitage III OVA on Blu-ray. Most definitely.

EDIT: As long as its not an upscale.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Such a shame Familiar of Zero wasn't announced, but that's okay. I can wait.

Not to sound like a bummer or anything, but the general consensus I've heard about the later 2 season's of FoZ is that they really suck.
Personally, I would say that the second season of Zero no Tsukaima offers the most for the viewer. It has a ton of comedy/drama/romance/action. It's personally my favorite season of ZnT, although I tend to forget the last 20 seconds or so of the last episode.

My thoughts on season 3? Pure trash.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

I haven't seen the series, but seeing as the OVA is from 1995, it's not likely to have been digital. Thus, it would not be an upscale.

Unless they took the DVD masters and upscaled those, which would be horrid...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

I haven't seen the series, but seeing as the OVA is from 1995, it's not likely to have been digital. Thus, it would not be an upscale.

Unless they took the DVD masters and upscaled those, which would be horrid...

There is no series. You have a four episode OVA from 1995, a compilation movie with a different dub from 1996, and a sequel movie from 2002 which would be an upscale if put on BluRay. Now if they had licensed something like the remastered Iria Zeiram, I'd be all over that in a second.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Someone is actually going to save Serial Experiments Lain for near death. And I'm going to assume that Funimation will be releasing it as a cheaper thinpak and avoid the unrealistically expensive prices that Geneon tried. This is the high light of the article for me. I'm also glad to hear news of the second Darker Than Black season and the Trigun movie. Funi is still doing a good job of getting a good line up of titles (even if most of them are just things they saved from Geneon).

On the down side, still no word on saving Paranoia Agent. Come on Funimation that's the series you should have saved as soon as Geneon USA went under. I need my fair priced box set of this series already!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There is no series. You have a four episode OVA from 1995, a compilation movie with a different dub from 1996, and a sequel movie from 2002 which would be an upscale if put on BluRay. Now if they had licensed something like the remastered Iria Zeiram, I'd be all over that in a second.

I was calling the 4 episode OVA a series. It's more than 1 and thus can be called so. Note that I didn't say TV series. Lets move on though. It does not really matter, haha.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
When are you guys going to sort out the situation concerning geoblocking shows that were previously available to view to people in the UK such as Slayers and Ouran High School Host Club as well as shows that will never get UK releases like ONE PIECE and Dragonball Z even though there's a huge fandom for both shows here.

On another note, is it totally random what shows are available for people to watch in the UK or are there any other random factors involved.

They can only stream to the UK shows that they are licensed to stream here, which not all their titles. Toei titles in particular are a no-no as they deal with European licenses separately, and I've always suspected is the reason we are locked out because initially the FUNi video portal was wide open (I wathed Digimon 02 on there for example, which we were locked out of on Crunchyroll). They have geolocking set up properly per-title on Youtube so all the shows they have on youtube and have a license to stream here are available to us.

Quote:
In other words, I'd love to be able to support the UK market, but I can't be bothered seeing as there's not a wide choice available here or we have to wait a year or more between the US and UK releases plus the majority of releases are a lot more expensive than the US ones.

Prices are due to economy of scale and extra expenses like PAL authoring and BBFC fees. Ignoring all the messy contractual stuff the very soonest a DVD can be out in the UK following the US release is a month (again, due to it needing to be re-authored and BBFCd etc), and we have to wait for the US release in order to get the dub materials which is why Beez are now experimenting with early sub-only releases.

Quote:
Basically the UK market sucks a$$ at the moment, especially when it comes to legal streaming over here as there's not much choice.

There actually is a lot of stuff available on Youtube, the Anime Network and Crunchyroll. Not everything by a long chalk but still a pretty large selection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait. Do I need to watch both Index and Railgun in order to get the full story? Or can they be appreciated separately? Confused
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Wait, wait. Do I need to watch both Index and Railgun in order to get the full story? Or can they be appreciated separately? Confused

They can be appreciated separately, but I'd say watching Index first could be a better choice (because some Index characters will casually appear on Railgun, and in case you didn't watch Index first you'll miss some crossovers, but that's really minor stuff).
After all Index is Index and it focus on science and magic (mostly the latter), while Railgun focus on science. They're each other's spin-off, and each one has its respective OVA/sequel scheduled.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote

What's Armitage III?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

What's Armitage III?

Old school 80s cyberpunk. It owns.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
If I hated Index will I hate Railgun? I dropped Index at seven episodes because I thought it was boring and taking it's sweet time to advance plot. However, I did like that shocker girl and isn't she the main character in Railgun?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

What's Armitage III?

Old school 80s cyberpunk. It owns.

Don't you mean 90's cyberpunk? Wink

@Mr. Adventure -- It is a really good, 4-episode OVA series. The sequel movie, Dual-Matrix is pretty good too.

penguintruth wrote:
It figures that shortly after I hunted down the Tenchi Muyo OVA DVDs that Funimation should rescue them. Well, that's okay, because I still need Tenchi Universe and movies 2 and 3 on DVD! I just hope they don't redub them too heavily. True that the Tenchi dubs don't hold up as well today as they used to, but it would be bizarre hearing another cast. If they have to redub, just do it for the movies.

I don't think there will be any redubs. That costs money and these are most likely distribution-only licenses. They may get to throw in a few extras, but I'd be highly surprised if dubbing is there, especially since dub fans like the dubs as is.

Last edited by AstroNerdBoy on Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
If I hated Index will I hate Railgun? I dropped Index at seven episodes because I thought it was boring and taking it's sweet time to advance plot. However, I did like that shocker girl and isn't she the main character in Railgun?

Strictly speaking, no. She's more like the series' theme, while the other girl is the one with the most screen time. It depends if you like the characters... I guess so... though I thought Railgun's plot was way slower, and took a good while to even surface.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4