• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Selection of animes to cover in Preview Guides

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archie2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I realize that ANN staff cannot review all new animes in Preview Guides,
but what is the explanation for failure to cover such gems as Hyouka or most recently Chu2, from such a distinguished producer as KyoAni. Especially since some of the reviewed animes are clearly dogs. A lot of us rely on your reviews to select which new animes we choose to follow.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Preview guides primarily cover whatever is legally available. Hyouka and Chuu2 were not available at the time of their respective preview guide. (Hyouka still isn't, I believe.) It sucks, but thems the breaks.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Generally speaking, ANN follows these rules for the preview guide.

1) If a series is only available via fansubs, they will preview it, but only the first episode.

2) If the series has a legal option announced, such as a stream, they will use that for the preview, even if the legal option is delayed compared to the Japanese broadcast. Shows that have legal streams will sometimes get previews for the second episode.

This does unfortunately result in shows being in stuck limbo sometimes. For example, in the past seasons, Funimation often would announces "simulcasts" of show that wouldn't actually start until weeks or in some cases even months after the show first aired in Japan. In such a case, a legal option was announced, so ANN would wait for it... but by the time the legal option was actually available, the preview guide would be over.

In this recent season, Chu2 was acquired and announced by The Anime Network, and would have probably been covered by the Preview Guide. Except The Anime Network had their little (or not so little) snafu involving Tu-Love-Ru Darkness, and all their streams were put on hold. Since a legal stream was announced and still coming, ANN didn't preview Chu2 via fansubs, but by the time it was actually available the guide was over.

As for Hyouka, I don't know. I actually thought it had been covered by one of the guides, but checking now I couldn't find it. That show might have just slipped through the cracks for some reason.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The issue with Chu2 has been explained by others. (Trust me, I really wanted to preview that one, too, since the first episode so unexpectedly impressed me.)

Hyouka didn't come up because it was the absolute last full-season series to debut for the spring season, about a full week after everything else. I'm pretty sure we stopped updating the Guide before it finally aired.

If something's available and not stuck in a "waiting for its official stream to start" limbo then it will only slip through the proverbial cracks if it's a kiddie title or a sequel of something that none of the previewers have watched.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1