• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm a girl, and I LOVED High School of the Dead. I could care less about the panty shots and jiggliness, I'm with Zac! ZOMBIES!
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Occult Academy is animated by A1 Pictures and Xebec, not Madhouse.
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm curious, did FUNi plan to stream Sekirei season one at all? If not, how can they expect anyone to watch S2 streamed? Fansub watchers gonna watch fansubs, and I don't imagine people would want to jump into the series midway.

eaglesdome810 wrote:
Personally, Highschool of the dead doesn't even need to show flashes of panties and bras etc etc etc for the show to be a successful. *Sigh* Why can't it just be a show like "When they cry" I can only hope from here on out that the show will die down the "ecchi" crap?

And you're complaining about an anime adaptation of a manga that's absolutely rife with sex, nudity, orgies, rape, and other things.
I'm not into manga as much as i'm into anime so that's my fault. While watching "Highschool of the dead" I kept thinking to myself. "Why is the ecchi even needed for such a show?" But again I don't read manga so my fault.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Highschool of the Dead is going to be one of those hate it/love it titles. I'm no fan of ecchi and it's been a while since I've last seen anything dealing with zombies, but I'm going to go out of my comfort zone alittle and check it out. I've read some of the manga a while back, but it didn't really impress me that much. I still want to give the anime a try.

I'm definitely going to check out Occult Academy though.

Last edited by BunnyCupCakes on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
eaglesdome810 wrote:

*Sigh* Why can't it just be a show like "When they cry"

That role belongs to the new anime "Shiki"
eaglesdome810 wrote:
I can only hope from here on out that the show will die down the "ecchi" crap?

You should stop watching. It just gets more and more bloody/ecchi.

Yay! A Summer guide. I look forward to every single review that comes out. I'm also glad to see the positive feedback toward Occult Academy as I found it surprisingly as well. Just for the lolz, I want to see Zac's review of "Mitsudomoe" because his reviews are just that awesome for example,

Zac wrote:
Rating: who cares, zombies

There you go!
Never heard of Shiki, I'll check it out if it's similar to "When they cry" I Love bloody/gore shows and I can take "Ecchi" to a point. It's just it felt unnecessary while watching "Highschool of the dead."
Ahiru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm curious, did FUNi plan to stream Sekirei season one at all? If not, how can they expect anyone to watch S2 streamed?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sekirei up on the Funi site/Hulu for a couple of months, at least.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Ahiru wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm curious, did FUNi plan to stream Sekirei season one at all? If not, how can they expect anyone to watch S2 streamed?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Sekirei up on the Funi site/Hulu for a couple of months, at least.

Yeah, you're right. FUNi's site says nothing about Hulu though.
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Aww man! Where was Highschool of the Dead back when I was still in to zombie flicks. I've been gassed on the whole zombie scene for some time now, but hearing it's a brainless( Laughing ) schlock of cliches at least means if/when I become zombie nostalgic this should fit in nicely with the lot of them.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
From Gia Manry's Occult Academy review:
"All in all the episode is strongly animated (as expected from MADHOUSE) and surprising in content, which in and of itself may set it apart from the rest of the season. "

Occult Academy is being animated by A1 Pictures, not Madhouse.

Thanks for the correction-- Madhouse is assisting in the ending, so I saw their name when I checked the credits. Smile Just goes to show I should always check the formal ANN database entry Wink

Last edited by giapet on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
eaglesdome810 wrote:
Personally, Highschool of the dead doesn't even need to show flashes of panties and bras etc etc etc for the show to be a successful. *Sigh* Why can't it just be a show like "When they cry" I can only hope from here on out that the show will die down the "ecchi" crap?

You do know that Highschool of the Dead is written by a guy who does Hentai doujinshis don't you? I am sad to see that Inazuma didn't include humor in Highschool of the dead because his Gundam Seed Destiny hentai doujinshi was quite funny.

There's a significant amount of humor in Highschool, just not yet.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting to like Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, as I'm really sick of the "magical academy" premise, but after watching the first episode, I'm thinking this might end up being one of my favorite shows of the season. I really dig the animation, and am getting much more of a Ghost Busters vibe (as did Zac, apparently) than Harry Potter, which is what I expected.

Guess I'd better go subscribe to CR.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 1 of HSD, but I'm with Zac that's it nothing that we haven't seen before with zombies, but it still enjoyable.

I didn't have any plans for Occult Academy but now I will ad it to my watch list and I will get to it some time.

Mitsudomoe is another I plan on watching, and I will probably get to it tomorrow or some time this week.

Seitokai Yakuindomo - not sure about this one, looks rather generic which I have no problems with I enjoy generic more often than not. Some of it was funny, but some of it wasn't so I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to say that I like the Nura manga but the first episode of the anime was somewhere between awkward and awful. It skipped around over half a dozen chapters, didn't explain anyone well, and had too much exposition to explain too little. The art was also not so great looking and I don't think that was just because it was in 280p on Hulu, this is Studio Deen after all, guess they may be returning to their roots.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Some of the information in Theron Martin's Amagami SS preview is slightly inaccurate- from what I've heard, each girl gets 4 episodes in a row, not 1, with an additional 2 unknown episodes on the final DVD (with 2 episodes per DVD).
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Will the anime industry ever get past perverted fanservice? Looks like I'll be avoiding most of these shows, but Occult Academy still seems interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24