• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Asobi. That's the first "cat girl" I've seen sporting human ears as well. That alone is an epic fail to me. Laughing
Catgirls with 2 pairs of ears is something that bugs me to no end too. But it's not the first time I've seen that. There are a few anime or manga I can recall with 4-eared girls (that's too many holes in one's head). Usually when only the cat ears are visible you can't tell if there are human ears also hiding under the hair or not. I've never seen in an instance in anime where a catgirl has short hair such that the sides of the head are smooth where human ears should be. But then again that in itself might look rather disturbing.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Is ANN going to be previewing Cat S*** One?

If there was any indication that the 'series' is currently any longer than a single episode, maybe they'd consider it. It seems as though the people behind the concept got some money and just produced a bigger trailer to try to get yet more backers to animate more of it. I wouldn't mind seeing a review, but I'm not sure when I last saw a review for a single-episode program that wasn't a US release.

Quote:
I saw it on this season's chart and went "What is THAT!?" Needless to say, the idea of rabbits as members of the American military sounds like an odd premise. :?

The rabbits aren't in the military like they were in the manga, but are now part of a mercenary outfit (a "private military corporation", IIRC).

I would be happier if there had been a preview for a second episode at the end of what aired (or was it just not on the raw that I watched?).
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Is ANN going to be previewing Cat S*** One? I saw it on this season's chart and went "What is THAT!?" Needless to say, the idea of rabbits as members of the American military sounds like an odd premise. Confused

usagi (rabbit) = USA GI. Get it?
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Asobi ni Ikuyo: Apart from the stuff Theron brings up, Eris is also interesting because her behavior is more cat-like than most cat girls. I have hopes, although I don't generally enjoy stories where the small group of young people is being persecuted by the big evil military as much as I did when I was younger.

Occult Academy: The biggest problem I have with it is that it isn't really doing anything new with the cliches it uses except mushing them together. Fanservice is all fine and dandy, and a secret conspiracy story keeps the plot moving, but I can feel my brain turning to mush even as I appreciate the expressive animations on the characters and the tone of the series.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

usagi (rabbit) = USA GI. Get it?
I've been waiting for this joke to appear in an anime ever since I found out Sailor Moon's Japanese name was Usagi. It made the fact her original uniform was red, white, and blue awesome in an inside joke kinda way.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:
Occult Academy: The biggest problem I have with it is that it isn't really doing anything new with the cliches it uses except mushing them together. Fanservice is all fine and dandy, and a secret conspiracy story keeps the plot moving, but I can feel my brain turning to mush even as I appreciate the expressive animations on the characters and the tone of the series.

Are you confusing Occult Academy with High School of the Dead? Seriously, if you think OA is nothing but cliches, you may need to see an optometrist.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Finally got a chance to see some of the goodies previewed and streamed here. Ok, 'HS of the Dead', interesting but I hate zombies and after watching it went on a rant at home about how I hate zombies, and why they keep making zombies, and how the concept came about to enough Resident Evil and escaping Raccoon City, and how I'm freaking scared of zombies even though they don't exist and how I doubt I'd survive the zombie apocalypse. Yet...I'll probably keep watching it. But gawd, do we need the sandbags? Well, there's always 'Oneechanbara' I have to watch.

Shiki seems interesting. Really strange design. It really throws you. First I was like, oh this can't be a horror flick. Until ... and then I was like "oh crap". So I might continue with this one.

Couldn't watch 'Nura' because I don't have "flash" updated in my computer at work. But 'Occult Academy' seems really interesting. So definitely looking into more of that. Can't say much about the others, because they're not being streamed and I just don't care to do that ahem...illegal thing that's all the rave these days. Too much going on to keep up with as I don't expect to keep this up for next 70 years. BUT I CAN GODDAMN WELL TRY.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Finally got a chance to see some of the goodies previewed and streamed here. Ok, 'HS of the Dead', interesting but I hate zombies and after watching it went on a rant at home about how I hate zombies, and why they keep making zombies, and how the concept came about to enough Resident Evil and escaping Raccoon City, and how I'm freaking scared of zombies even though they don't exist and how I doubt I'd survive the zombie apocalypse. Yet...I'll probably keep watching it. But gawd, do we need the sandbags? Well, there's always 'Oneechanbara' I have to watch.

Shiki seems interesting. Really strange design. It really throws you. First I was like, oh this can't be a horror flick. Until ... and then I was like "oh crap". So I might continue with this one.

Couldn't watch 'Nura' because I don't have "flash" updated in my computer at work. But 'Occult Academy' seems really interesting. So definitely looking into more of that. Can't say much about the others, because they're not being streamed and I just don't care to do that ahem...illegal thing that's all the rave these days. Too much going on to keep up with as I don't expect to keep this up for next 70 years. BUT I CAN GODDAMN WELL TRY.

I might be able to help you out with the flash problem your having at work.

Assuming IT hasn't locked down your computer, which straight up is highly unlikely usually.

First off, go to www.Adobe.com (Don't worry, this is a clean site.)

Next, there is a search button there, so please type Adobe flash player. There is a icon that also reads Adobe Flash player as well, so it's really your choice.

Now this is where it can get tricky and may cause some problems. In order to get the latest Flash player (which is 10.1), you'll have to download it.

Although Adobe certainly is legal, free and serves a purpose, your boss may not see it that way. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a good reason to download the Flash player, because business wise speaking, this flash player isn't at vital to work unless you are watching videos that are work related.

There are ways to make sure your boss never is able to know that you downloaded anything by simply disabling certain programs. Your playing with fire by doing this, but there is always the chance you won't get caught or it will get undetected.

Moving on, download the latest version of Adobe Flash player and I'd advise not saving the file. But still run the program and click no to having that as your default video player.

In addition, I would recommend not having McAfee scan the program. Although the Adobe program is safe, adding McAfee to list may not be so safe after all. Especially since it will require more memory. Some bosses know exactly how much memory there is on each computer and that extra amount may tip him or her off.

Good luck, hope I helped.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks Teriyaki Terrier. But I think that might be the problem. My computer here at work is locked down. Problem is that at one point in time the plug-ins usually work, but if they are outdated over a period of time (AS PROGRAMS ALWAYS UPDATE ALMOST EVERY FRIGGING WEEK) then it's not going to work. So I'll have to go to my admin. or tech support to update the plug-ins for Firefox.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I implore somebody to review DenYuuDen's episode's past episode 1 because it is just so much better than the first one. (I don't even know why they started it there)

Also, echoing the request for Cat Shit One

Also, Sengoku Basara 2 is on FUNi's site and I think somebody said they'd look at that.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing the rest of HoTD is gonna be for subscribers only?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The preview's done for this summer. We're all off to San Diego Comic-con, coverage starts Thursday.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The preview's done for this summer.

The hell it is.

Not until Key reviews at least one episode of Strike Witches 2.

Come on. I need him to write a review so I can feel confident at buying this series without scornful looks from anime fans.

Okay, I kid. Have a good time in San Diego.

A souvenir will be greatly appreciated.
leeleekins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess Sengoku Basara 2 isn't worth watching since Funimation only took forever to actually get the first episode out subbed and summer previews are now officially over?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
eaglesdome810 wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier you do realize that episode 1 of Legend^2 is a side story and not really a good handle on what the show is about. Watch Episode 2 and 3 to see what the show is really about when it gets serious.

Episode 1 is one third of a side novel, think of FMP Fumoffu, Episode 2 and 3 seem to be the first novel of the main series which is what the anime is based on.

Also I really hope people aren't calling Maya from Occult a tsundere in regards to her interactions with the main male character. She hasn't exactly shown 1% of dere for him.. a tsundere has to actually like the person she abuses to be one :roll: The only thing Maya is tsundere about in the show is the occult itself, since she has extensive knowledge of it and enjoyed in in the past despite stating how much she hates it and wants to disband the academy.
What is a Tsundere? You use it like its some type of personality. Just curious.

Here you go, below are several links that provide examples.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere
http://anime.suite101.com/article.cfm/anime-character-type-tsundere
http://projectotaking.com/2010/01/10/omake-the-true-meaning-of-tsundere/

The third link is mainly a joke, but does indeed serve a purpose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24