• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

Was the screening free? i mean, maybe if they were charging $10, then passing on it would be understandable.. But seriously, if that was the only screening then you guys should be slapping yourselves for not going D:. What were you guys thinking?

I sent Carlo to do a review. I'll have a million chances to see it later. I was way more excited to do a live podcast than watch a movie. A hundred other reasons.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Really cool panel going on... Too bad I live in NJ and can't make it to something like AX.

As for the Princess Knight guy... PK is not really high on my Tezuka list. Honestly, Dororo was the absolute #1 Tezuka manga I wanted to read and Vertical brought it over, so I'm good on wishing for more of Tezuka's stuff. We're getting Black Jack and that's enough for now. If it was on ANN for streaming I'd probably try and episode or two, but I personally couldn't care for PK.

I'd say that there's a higher chance at the 1969 black & white Dororo anime coming over one day than the Princess Knight anime coming over... At least Dororo has then-future big names behind its production!

Oh, and Zac, Ed Chavez is going to axe murder you, not the PK guy!
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It was a pleasure to be on the Podcast. I was the one who asked about if the conventions are going to implode, which I thought it was too controversial of a question, but Zac didn't seem to care. I thought the Princess Knight guy was joking about the anime being licensed, but judging by the looks of how he was saying, he was serious about it.

Last edited by Ted_the_bear2001 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:

Was the screening free? i mean, maybe if they were charging $10, then passing on it would be understandable.. But seriously, if that was the only screening then you guys should be slapping yourselves for not going D:. What were you guys thinking?

If you're asking why the audience would go attend ANNCast taping vs. seeing Trigun movie, it's because how many times would I get to see ANNCast live? Once? Maybe more if they make it an annual thing, but still, once a year at most. And what if they never did it again? I am a big ANNCast fan, and was actually looking forward to this panel the most. The Trigun movie I was upset to find out it overlapped with ANNCast, because of course I wanted to see that too, but I already know I'm buying that and can watch it a hundred times whenever I like, so I easily chose ANNCast over the Trigun screening.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I was the guy that asked the Macross Frontier question! I was worried it was going to be considered a dumb question since they were like "nah it's too old", and then the Princess Knight guy came up.

With all the people at the concert Friday afternoon I thought it could be seen as a good signal that there are a ton of fans interested in the series still. I know I'd buy it, but I guess I'm in the minority according to them.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Giolon wrote:
I was the guy that asked the Macross Frontier question! I was worried it was going to be considered a dumb question since they were like "nah it's too old", and then the Princess Knight guy came up.

Isn't Frontier only two years old? Are we truly at the point where something that aired only two years ago is now considered "old"? If so, then anime fandom here has truly hit rock bottom...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Giolon wrote:

With all the people at the concert Friday afternoon I thought it could be seen as a good signal that there are a ton of fans interested in the series still. I know I'd buy it, but I guess I'm in the minority according to them.

Concerts are always filled with people at conventions. Always. Cause you can dance, rave, jump around like idiots, or mosh or whatever depending on whatever is playing.

As far as Macross F being considered "old". I can honestly see that in today's common anime fan. New shows come out every 3 months and it seems that a lot of people just simply forget about the older shows. I think this is why we're seeing companies licensing shows as they're airing in Japan, or even beforehand (such as with HOTD).

Personally, I would buy the Macross F soundtrack but I did not care for the anime.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, am I the only one who could help but picture Mort from The Anime Club when listening to that Princess Knight guy?
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay, am I the only one who could help but picture Mort from The Anime Club when listening to that Princess Knight guy?

I've got a picture of him with Zac and Justin at the panel, however I'm too afraid to post it. He wore some kind of Ouran High School Host Club-like uniform as far as what I saw.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Also I have to admit I feel bad for the Princess Knight guy. Not because of the expected reason though. Just because I pre-judged him before he even finished his question. His voice... I immediately braced myself, mentally eyerolled his question as soon as I heard his tone of voice. And I feel horrible for being prejudice like that. Although he didn't disappoint my pre-judgment, I still felt bad. But hey, one of Justin's goals is to try and get the more obscure "treasures" so who knows. He'll try at least if he gets the 1000 signatures. Good luck on it buddy.

From the Wikipedia entry, it might have been much bigger in Brazil than it was in general, because the '67 anime was dubbed into Portuguese in '73, and if someone from the US had run into a clutch of Brasileiro fans of the series in some forum somewhere on the internets, it could be easy to get an impression of "big hit internationally" as opposed to "big hit in Brasil".

I'm waiting for word of the online petition, so Princess Knight Guy, you better be working on it!!!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I've got a picture of him with Zac and Justin at the panel, however I'm too afraid to post it. He wore some kind of Ouran High School Host Club-like uniform as far as what I saw.

Yeah, let's not post that.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah, let's not post that.

Please don't ask me why I have a picture. I don't know why myself.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

I sent Carlo to do a review. I'll have a million chances to see it later. I was way more excited to do a live podcast than watch a movie. A hundred other reasons.

The movie wasn't worth it. It was basically an extended episode from the first half of the series.

Personally, I'm the one slapping myself because I didn't get to see Princess Knight Guy in the flesh. That dude beats Vash the Stampede any day Razz
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

The movie wasn't worth it. It was basically an extended episode from the first half of the series.

And the Cowboy Bebop movie was basically an extended episode, too, but was amazing. Somehow "extended episode" doesn't sound like a curse to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And the Cowboy Bebop movie was basically an extended episode, too, but was amazing. Somehow "extended episode" doesn't sound like a curse to me.

I assure you that the Trigun movie was nowhere near the level of the Cowboy Bebop movie. (And neither of them measure up to the entertainment value of PK Guy.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8