• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I think you really do not understand how popular the (to aru index/railgun) actually is. at my colleges anime club's when they did a friday night marathon (yes we do not have big social lives) it was the MOST attended event of the year. 5 of us became fans of the show after that and got copies of the fansub we where showing after the event. three of us are already saving our money for the releases that funi is going to put out

I have a serious question. Are... are you the Princess Knight guy? Be honest. Laughing

NO I was talking about RAILGUN/Index which my whole response is about, I only said the guy was abnormal, they should have been a bit nicer to him, and that I would sign his petition if I ever saw it, seriously why would every think I was that guy
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay, am I the only one who could help but picture Mort from The Anime Club when listening to that Princess Knight guy?

I actually thought of Mort when the last guy was on. :\
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I wish I had been there to answer the Clannad After Story question. The reason it's #1 in the ratings is because it's a sequel. Same thing with Code Geass R2. The only people who watched these sequels were people who liked the first season. So you get a self-selection bias where everyone who watched the sequel was *very* likely to rate it high.

Yeah, I've definitely noticed that with a lot of sequels. It seems to filter out some of the votes from people who would be uncertain on the series to begin with. Still, if the sequel disappoints in some way, it can still get weaker ratings. Looking at Nogizaka Haruka's second season, for instance, its bayesian rank is #1411, much lower than the original's #876, reflecting some disappointment (rightly, in my opinion, since I loved the first series but the second was weaker) in the series despite having the bias of being a sequel.

In my (yes, very biased) opinion, Clannad After Story's positive reception is more than warranted. I've never been moved by an anime series as much as it, and I've seen great stuff in my time watching anime (not a very long time compared to some people probably, about 10 years - but I don't think insignificant either). I don't think it's something to just brush off as was done in the podcast. Speaking strongly from my opinion, there, though, as I do not possibly think CAS's rating is completely fair either, for reasons already mentioned.

I'm rather curious on how Index and Railgun do for FUNimation. They seem like pretty big show, but they may well be pretty "niche" as far as sales go. I personally liked Index a little bit, but I tried Railgun recently and got really into it, even more so. I think it does strike a pretty nice balance of elements and a decently wide appeal. Who knows, but I hope they do well at least. I am really looking forward to collecting Railgun and it was the announcement that excited me most from FUNi (not too much they license excites me, but it's good when a few do as I do still want to hear some new dubs lately).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I ended up missing the show, I decided to hang out and enjoy the whole Manga Gamers booth concert in the Exhibition Hall. But I did see the other ANN panel before that and got to see the ANN guys (and the new gal) in person. It's nice being able to put a face to your voices now. I've never been really sure what Zac and Justin looked like.

...Wait you mean I missed the Podcast AND the Trigun Movie in order to see CooRie on stage???

ChocoBar wrote:
Not a big deal, but I guess what Zac and Justin were getting on the fact that the show has alot of fanservice scenes involving characters who are roughly in middle school
You're making it sound like there are different levels of nudeness depending on who's nude. A nude 15 year old girl is the same amount of nudeness as a nude 20 year old girl. Yes we know the characters are middle and high school aged, that's the most common setting for such a show. I don't see why the fanservice double standard continuously needs to be pointed out, just because it's specifically made clear the girls are a certain age group.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
What the heck was the point of the Clannad question? Isn't it obvious it is fan voted? It is a great series but what was the point is asking?

Go Tezuka!!! I love Princess Knight. It was the first shojo, the art style wouldn't sell here. It wouldn't sell alone but perhaps in a boxset with other Tezuka works. I'll sign it!!!

Also why would you dismiss Princess Knight which inspired the very creation of Utena >.> the show some people just love

Last edited by grooven on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
I was there!

There were many highlights at AX this year, but the ANNcast was a favorite.

I wish all of you could have seen the look on Zac's face when that guy at the end was going on and on and on...Zac never changed his expression, just stared blankly at the guy, like he was thinking about what he was doing later or having for dinner or what movie to see this weekend...priceless.

As for the Notorious PKG...I think he was in his forties, thin and wearing a black suit and tie, with glasses and serious HLS. He had an Anime Expo water bottle strapped to his belt. I'll let your imaginations take it from there.

Not only that...he was sitting in the same row as me! When Justin and Zac started cracking wise about underage sex and hentai, the guy next to me started screaming "Yeeeaaaahh!!!" and "Yeah, Baby!" and "That's what I'm talking about!" I looked over, and...

IT WAS PRINCESS KNIGHT GUY!!!!

So chew on that, those of you who were already creeped out. Then I got to see even more looks on the faces around me: all of the girls at the panel who were looking very scared.

Oh, Princess Knight Guy, you will live forever in our hearts.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
If Justin gets me a petition with 1000 signatures to get Princess Knight streamed, I'll push to get Tezuka Pro to stream it myself.

However, I believe that is one of the titles with licensing issues at the moment (along with the original jungle taitei)...

To give princess knight guy some hope: I would say it's absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that a great deal of old anime from the 60s and 70s could get translated and at the very least, streamed, from funding provided by the Japanese government itself.

There's been talk of using some government money for that sort of project, but nothing concrete.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I have been a fan of your podcast for well over 10 episodes, and have a lot of respect for you HOWEVER I have a problem with your railgun comments on MULTIPLE levels.
First consistency, on a previous podcast Justin praised railguns sci-fi story with it's numerous plot twist in the first arc (aka leveler uper)
yet then you say it was a bad show that would not sell

Maybe I missed it but I don't think Zac or Justin said it was a bad show, just that it probaly won't sell well. I hesitate to call it niche because it's overused these days, but I don't think it will even be noticed by the casual fan. I plan on buying it but I wouldn't expect the series to be a runaway smash.

To Zac or Justin- do you think that Princess Knight guy was for real or was he trying to troll you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:

To Zac or Justin- do you think that Princess Knight guy was for real or was he trying to troll you.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that he was 100 percent sincere.

Seriously, "elaborate hoax" is almost never the answer to these things, I don't know why people assume everyone out there is pulling a fast one.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:

There is not a single doubt in my mind that he was 100 percent sincere.

Seriously, "elaborate hoax" is almost never the answer to these things, I don't know why people assume everyone out there is pulling a fast one.

I guess something about his tone of voice and his unfounded conviction made me suspect him. If he was for real, then I admire his passion for old school anime and wish him luck on that petition.

Also thought I would add my thanks to you guys. ANNcast is easily my favorite anime podcast and probaly one of my favorite podcasts period. Keep up the good work.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Pandadice: The screen for Trigun sucked, so the people who attended ANNCast weren't missing anything.

Patachu: Damn. I was hoping there was more going on. That new female character also seemed irrelevant to the story, but I didn't stay long, so...
rhetoricalnoise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
In Helen McCarthy's most recent book The Art of Osamu Tezuka, she says that Tezuka Production intends to make all of Tezuka's manga available online in English in the near future.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
A question about AnnCast: would you guys ever consider transcribing the broadcasts, so that we could read along?
Peroxid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Probably the funniest Podcast I ever heard! Great Job

Psycho_Despair wrote:
LMAO @ the Princess Knight Fanboy, I had to pause the podcast until I finally stopped laughing. LOL Poor Guy, didn't know about Vertical LOL!

qft

I don't like also Korean and Chinese Animation, but I was surprised that no one mentioned, what for me is the best Korean animation title, Aachi wa Ssipak. I would like to see more stuff like that.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
A question about AnnCast: would you guys ever consider transcribing the broadcasts, so that we could read along?

Having been hired one summer to transcribe some testing that was being done for a psychological study, I can tell you that it's time-consuming and not fun. I was listening to tapes that were as long as ANNCast recordings and I didn't have as much to type and it was still taking me hours to do (then again, some of that had to do with figuring out who was saying what if certain voices sounded similar and they weren't addressing one another even though they were supposed to). Unless if there's a progam out there that can transcribe the podcasts, I imagine that a new person would have to be hired to do it with as busy as the workers at ANN are. And even if there was a program that could do that, I imagine that someone would have to do a quality check to make certain there were no major screw-ups. It seems like it'd be more of a hassle than it's worth.

Anyways, thanks guys for all the work you do for ANNCast. It's one of my favorite podcasts to listen to.

And I feel really embarassed for the PK guy. Whenever he came on (and that last guy), I had to take my earphones out of my ears. Either way, I wish him luck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8