• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
This is just another Inuyasha only with boring characters and mediocre story. I read about 60 chapters from the manga a while ago and it wasn't nearly as good as Fairy Tail or the other top shounen manga. The anime industry really doesn't need any more series of this type...
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
This is just another Inuyasha

No, it's not.
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, it's not.

You don't get it.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
larethian wrote:
Overall, I still feel there is too much condensation which makes it confusing to people who haven't read the manga.

Haven't noticed that yet. The anime is pretty easy to figure, so I doubt there's a need for in-depth explanations.

Quote:
Like when Zen talked about the general meetings, and the overall background motivation on why the different characters are behaving the way they are (even for Kiyotsugu) is not well covered, which serves to further confuse the non-manga viewers.

The reason why characters behave the way they do is usually kept till well late into the series, usually. A fine recent example is House of Five Leaves. I'm not having a problem with that, since that way they can at least add some mystery. But then again, because I don't know the manga I don't know what I might be missing.

I liked episode 2, overall. That new character doesn't look interesting, but I'm guessing her personality is the total opposite of what it seems.

For me the story and plot are just a bonus. I'm in for the characters, and right now that's all I ask for.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:04 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Quote:
No, it's not.

You don't get it.

Then explain it a bit better so he does get it. I mean, all you really did was make the accusation without really supporting the statement.

Regardless of that, this "nuh uh/yuh huh" kind of back and forth is not gonna happen, so you guys can put an end to that now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
This is just another Inuyasha only with boring characters and mediocre story. I read about 60 chapters from the manga a while ago and it wasn't nearly as good as Fairy Tail or the other top shounen manga. The anime industry really doesn't need any more series of this type...

Good god you know someone has bad taste when they mention Fairy Tail as being one of the best in the genre.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Miranox wrote:

Good god you know someone has bad taste when they mention Fairy Tail as being one of the best in the genre.

I haven't read any of the Fairy Tail manga yet, but I have seen the first 38 eppies of the anime and I really like it a lot. It started off a little slow for me (in terms of getting into it) but once I was there, I was really there.

If you don't like Fairy Tail, you should start questioning your own taste rather than insulting that of others.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't really matter which, or what is better. I'm enjoying this one for what it is and what it presents; without comparing it to others in the genre. Fairy Fail is a good anime; it's not bad, but definitely not nearly as good as One Piece as of now. Remember that's something with 500 episodes against something with 40 episodes.
I'm sorry if this sounds offensive, but, Miranox's comparison to Inuyasha and others is a load of bologus. He's either intentionally, or unintentionally flaming, and I'm sincerely tired of dealing with flaming (whether it's caused by me or by others).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to stick with show. Kekkaishi didn't have a great start but became epic.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like this Anime adaption. It absolutely does not do NnM justice at all.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Miranox wrote:

By "top" I meant most popular which doesn't mean "good". I find that Fairy Tail is generic and not worth my time but Nurarihyon no Mago is equally generic and with even worse storytelling.

My comparison to Inuyasha comes from the fact that both have:
- the same themes
- typical romance subplots
- poor storytelling with no direction
- lots of elements common in shounen series

Those are just off the top of my head. They eventually go down different paths because the target audience differs (younger for Nurarihyon and older for Inuyasha). Inuyasha was at least somewhat original when it ran but this one just borrows everything from other better, more popular shounen series that came before it.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
@Miranox: Having read all 114/115 chapters of the manga I can assure you that their have been no romantic developments so far (well, for the current generation anyway) and I was under the impression that romance was a big part of Inuyasha so that's a big difference off the bat.
As for the other stuff I agree that the anime just doesn't seem to be pacing itself well right now so it does seem all muddy (and we're missing some back story, never a good combination). I'm going to keep watching since I really do like the manga but I do have a theory that, even though shonen manga can be really similar to each other (and not even from borrowing or copying, it's fairly limited in some respects given the audience it's trying to reach), people are going to like one or two more series much more than the rest and this just isn't the one for you.
Miranox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read, they hint at the possibility but never make any progress. Inuyasha is a little more explicit since the target audience is older, but they never make any progress either. If memory serves, in the 500+ chapters it has, the two main characters never get together.
jenifferhomes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
It seems like that But at the very least we got a good seiyu doing Kana's role, so it's not that bad.
larethian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Agree that Fairy Tail is not at masterpiece level, but I would say it's interesting enough to be worth my time (only reading the manga though). Now that Mistgun's identity is revealed in the latest arc, the only things I want to see is the truth behind the Dragonslayers, and Lucy getting all 12 gold keys; and Wendy's really cool in battles though she's playing a supporting role. Anime smile

I felt the same way for Nura (manga), not masterpiece but still interesting enough for me to read. For a battle manga, some fights are not really interesting though (IMO). The draw for me is seeing Rikuo, despite having only a quarter of demon blood, spoiler[securing allies and building his own Hyakki Yakou, how "Fear" is used in fights between Youkai, and seeing Meikyou Shisui and Kyouka Suigetsu invoked.] Another draw for me is the background story of some of the Youkai in Nura's household, and their true strength. I also feel it getting better overall at a gradual pace. Anime smile

Unfortunately, the anime adaptation, which is really a condensation, is leading me to believe that this in probably a one-season-only anime, and they will come up with their own ending. I really prefer Yura's first exposure as an spoiler[ Onmyouji when she fought the doll Kiyotsugu brought ]. spoiler[And I can't believe Kiyo Cross Club is only just formed at this point of the story! It should be long in existence before Yura came.] But Yura's is one of my favourite characters, spoiler[lacking self-confidence but really powerful with the Hagun.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4