• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Anime Expo Concludes Most Successful Event Yet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
The AX facts page lists turnstiles for 2009 at 108,000+, but this year turnstiles are quoted at 105,000+. So this year's AX was "the most successful event yet" even though the only statistic published so far saw a 3% decline. I wonder what they're using to measure success - total attendance revenue, perhaps?
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
The AX facts page lists turnstiles for 2009 at 108,000+, but this year turnstiles are quoted at 105,000+. So this year's AX was "the most successful event yet" even though the only statistic published so far saw a 3% decline. I wonder what they're using to measure success - total attendance revenue, perhaps?

I don't think they meant to report the turnstile attendance numbers as a measure of their success. In the press release and open board meeting it just says "over 100,000 fans". The number "105,000+" isn't a published statistic, it's only given in this article's note as what the SPJA CEO said during closing ceremonies. The number could possibly be higher (or lower) when the statistics for Anime Expo 2010 are released on the AX website. Until then, I'm not really going to trust any number...

The success was probably in its "largest program and exhibition in its 19-year history".

Everyone was speculating on when Anime Expo's attendance would stop growing and start falling anyway. I wouldn't be that surprised if this year was the first drop since the staff/board/whatever drama discouraged some people from going- not saying this was the primary reason but who really knows.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
So the article details all this information about why it was so successful, but yet someone decides to focus only on one published statistic that doesn't fit in spite of the rest of the provided information? Heck, the turnstile number isn't even accurate since it can count the same person multiple times if they go more than one day and becomes questionable in regard to its accuracy as any kind of gauge of the events success.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
Yes, someone focuses on the statistic discussed in the introductory note, and this is a surprise? Plus, it was the only statistic with a link to the value for the previous year. Finally, if "most successful" is measured as "largest program and exhibition in its 19-year history", they could have announced "commences most successful event yet" at the start of the expo, rather than after the end.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Interesting statistic that the event is expected to generate $100m in revenue for the LA area in the next 3 years.

I do wonder what kind of growth they're counting on in order to achieve that $100m though. Did they assume it would grow, or remain at the same level?

Last time I saw a similar report on the local benefit was an article about Otakon a few years back. I can't remember if there was an actual number reported back then.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
So, are they just covering it up by downplaying the fact that they stiffed the vendors in dryage fees?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:38 pm Reply with quote
The reported attendance for AX 2009 is listed as 44,000 on animecons.com. This number is the approximate number of individual badges purchased. This number was apparently doubled for the 2010 convention. I can attest to that because I purchased my badge 3 weeks before the con and I was badge number 67512. So no there was most definitely not a drop in attendance.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Interesting statistic that the event is expected to generate $100m in revenue for the LA area in the next 3 years.

I do wonder what kind of growth they're counting on in order to achieve that $100m though. Did they assume it would grow, or remain at the same level?

Last time I saw a similar report on the local benefit was an article about Otakon a few years back. I can't remember if there was an actual number reported back then.

I can't comment on that specifically but I can say as a Native Marylander each year the past 5 years or so it sure SEEMS like there are more people all over Baltimore. Each year it seems like the local business are more and more crowded and I've found it harder and harder to get around, find places to eat, etc. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The reported attendance for AX 2009 is listed as 44,000 on animecons.com. This number is the approximate number of individual badges purchased. This number was apparently doubled for the 2010 convention. I can attest to that because I purchased my badge 3 weeks before the con and I was badge number 67512. So no there was most definitely not a drop in attendance.
Badge numbers are not sequential or (all) inclusive. Also, if they really had growth, they would be touting that.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Past wrote:
Badge numbers are not sequential or (all) inclusive. Also, if they really had growth, they would be touting that.
Could it be possible that while turnstile attendance went down, overall badge sales were higher? When gauging success, I would think that a number that more accurately reflects units sold, ie individual registrations, rather than turnstile counts should be used. But comparing both numbers can be useful because it shows how much attendees are getting out of the event versus how much they pay.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Past wrote:
I was badge number 67512. So no there was most definitely not a drop in attendance.
Could it be possible that while turnstile attendance went down, overall badge sales were higher?

By growth, I meant growth that actually means anything publicity wise. Saying "we didn't change" or "we grew by 2000 people" (<5%) doesn't come across as equally positive PR when other large conventions can claim 10%+ YoY growth*. I didn't mean it was impossible to have some small amount of growth, but having ~70k unique visitors would be something like 50% YoY growth and would be front page news for them already.

And yes, it is possible to have a lower turnstile number but a higher number of uniques with their calculation method. It would require a higher proportion of people with 1 and 2 day badges than last year.

*The catch behind this being that 10% for the smaller big-cons is the same number of individual people as 5% for AX since AX is 2x larger than almost every other convention out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1