• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highschool of the Dead, Occult Academy, Shiki, Nura Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...EXCEPT for the fact that the HD streams in 720p and LOOKS good, getting past the problem (Which really, in this industry, I though we all would have gotten used to) of yellow colored subtitles and making it look pretty damn good in fullscreen.

What is the "problem of yellow colored subtitles?" Are there systems that have problems displaying yellow colored subtitles correctly and have to fall back to harder to read white subtitles instead?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
With all of the previous discussion, I've made some comparisons, though not of the exact frames, between the ATXHD transport stream and TAN HD if anyone's interested.

ATXHD .ts 1080i (de-interlaced, rescaled anamorphic, vmr7 renderer)

ATXHD downscaled 720p (from above)

TAN 720p ("pop-out" option, flash renderer, browser screencap)

The TAN version shows a few problem spots in the last two scenes above but overall, it's quite alright. Though they are using a 470+ MB h.264 encode Shocked as I came to find out later....
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha I laughed. You included a pantsu shot Razz
outlaw55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the captures configspace, most of them didn't show much other than the TAN ones looking "washed out" with less detail (which could just be a result of a washed out source) and the logo looked upscaled. The one of the girl with the pink hair shows exactly what I noticed a lot of throughout the entire episode. There is clear aliasing throughout the whole picture (most noticeable in the green part of the uniform). Based on the size of the artifacts left from the interlacing, it's clear the footage is 480i poorly converted to 480p. The TS footage actually has a lot of haloing going on, which could be the re-encode from the local broadcaster before streaming to the end user's box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2