• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Happy Mania

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Happy Mania is a title I bought when it first came out, and ever since has been stuck somewhere in my pile of manga. I don't remember liking much of the first couple volumes, but you've reminded me that since (early high school I think) I've matured quite a bit so maybe it's time to dig it out and give it a re-read to see if my "worldly experiences" make me appreciate it any better.

Shay Guy wrote:
Tangentially related: I remember a while back I read a suggestion that Scott Pilgrim might make a good gateway series for manga in America, especially with the movie coming out. While reading the series, I decided I couldn't agree, because Scott Pilgrim is very obviously not manga.

Scott Pilgrim characters have actual sex lives.

There's more sex going on in teen manga than what some of us are actually aware of. The problem is most companies here aren't about to bring them over because of the complication involving their age which gets into that problem of depicting them in sexual situations. We're prudes who like to pretend teens don't have sex.

Minami Kanan is an example of a popular shoujo author who writes for a teen audience, and her characters are making like bunnies non-stop. I've enjoyed some of her titles, but honestly I'd be amazed if any of her titles (I think all but two of them have sex) make it over here.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
This column is TERRIBLE for my wallet; it keeps recommending series that sound intriguing and then I must buy them.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
This column is TERRIBLE for my wallet; it keeps recommending series that sound intriguing and then I must buy them.

Isn't it? We need to start a support group together or something: Manga-holics Anonymous! This column has already caused me to add several titles to my budget which already is hurting me. I need to save up money, not spend more!
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I really disliked this manga. As an older female manga reader, I should be right in the target audience but it failed to interest me. I found all the characters very unlikeable and so I lost all desire to read about them. It doesn't have anything to do with the sex (I read some hentai and yaoi so I usually enjoy it when it's included). But rather this: if you're going to go the mature and realistic route, then make the characters mature and realistic, not like idiotic spoiled children. I know quite a few adults act like that, but they're not people I find entertaining, just sad, and I don't want to read about more of them.

I had bought all the volumes in advance of reading the series, and was never more disappointed that I'd done so with a series.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I really disliked this manga. As an older female manga reader, I should be right in the target audience but it failed to interest me. I found all the characters very unlikeable and so I lost all desire to read about them. It doesn't have anything to do with the sex (I read some hentai and yaoi so I usually enjoy it when it's included). But rather this: if you're going to go the mature and realistic route, then make the characters mature and realistic, not like idiotic spoiled children. I know quite a few adults act like that, but they're not people I find entertaining, just sad, and I don't want to read about more of them.

I had bought all the volumes in advance of reading the series, and was never more disappointed that I'd done so with a series.

Hm, good to know... I know I had that problem with Hot Gimmick. I found the main guy so loathsome and the girl so pathetic, I gave up reading it.

I do enjoy Anno's art style though, so maybe that'll be enough to keep me reading.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isn't it? We need to start a support group together or something: Manga-holics Anonymous! This column has already caused me to add several titles to my budget which already is hurting me. I need to save up money, not spend more!

Yeah, I already have a big wishlist with all sorts of titles and this isn't helping Smile

Let's just celebrate the fact that Jason only promotes manga that were published in English.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Dude, midnightcast, where do you get off lumping all josei and seinen into one category of depression and madness? Sure, lots of them are downer series, but at lest in some the heroes save the world with the help of rock and roll + giant robot!! (kudos to anyone who knows what I'm talking about) Seriously, there are tons of series for adults that don't wallow in real-life misery yet still are darker and more developed than the two-dimensional characterization and black-and-white moralism of an average teen series (obviously there are exceptions to the teen rule, of course).
Treetastic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Quark wrote:
Happy Mania! For some reason, I never see anyone mention this manga ever. I still have the first volume, but unfortunately I read it back when I was in my big prude stage, and didn't appreciate how funny it really was. Now that I've outgrown that stage of my life, and can actually handle it when characters have (oh no!) sex, I'd love to go back and collect them all.

When I was younger I also couldn't get into stories where the characters have sex, no matter how good the story was in other ways. I think many people prefer to read stories where the main characters don't have more sexual experience than they themselves do. And also, apart from the psychological aspect, the art of Happy Mania does get pretty explicit.

I picked up Happy Mania when I first discovered manga... only I was 11 years old, so I found it kind of boring and a little uncomfortable. I would actually go further and say that people generally aren't interested in things where the "real" part of the story is too far removed from their own experience, if that makes any sense.

@Kyokun703: I know, it's a real wallet killer. The only column I can think of that's worse is Shaenon Garrity's Overlooked Manga Festival, which consistently recommended great series of overwhelming length. Come to think of it, Jason actually guested on that one time, didn't he?
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing this advertised in the back of FAKE and thinking it looked interesting. Josei is hard enough to find in English, let alone mature josei. I'm just thankful I managed to get 4 Erica Sakurazawa volumes in a sale for less then 5 quid. (one was a penny Very Happy)
midnightcoast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dude, midnightcast, where do you get off lumping all josei and seinen into one category of depression and madness? Sure, lots of them are downer series, but at lest in some the heroes save the world with the help of rock and roll + giant robot!! (kudos to anyone who knows what I'm talking about) Seriously, there are tons of series for adults that don't wallow in real-life misery yet still are darker and more developed than the two-dimensional characterization and black-and-white moralism of an average teen series (obviously there are exceptions to the teen rule, of course).

Dude, vashfanatic, please read my posts again. What I did say is the following...
Quote:
If this is a typical example of the genre I wouldn't buy it either. It's not because of the sex as Quark mentioned in his post. It's the self distructive behavior.

If this is a typical already assumes that not all are like this. However you do mention lots are downers series so my comment still stands. My second comment was why I didn't like titles like this was because of the self distructive behavior. Strangely enough you can have depression and madness and not be self distructive.

Be it as it may, all of my comments were about Happy Mania and other titles like it. I'm glad that you like rock and roll and giant robots (I do too) and that there are tons of titles that don't wallow in real life misery. If a title comes up that I like I'm sure that I'll leave my views on it also. I just don't like this one. Considering what sunflower wrote it seems that she doesn't like it either (sorry to drag you into this). That's just the way it is. Sometimes it is just black and white.

Oh by the way it's midnightcoast, not midnightcast.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
I love both Happy Mania and Hot Gimmick. I have a soft spot for manga with self-destructive and messed-up characters -- although I will say I have a lot more problems with Hot Gimmick because the age of the characters (and, even more worrisomely, the target audience) is younger and because of the abuse issue.

But yes, I love my fiction depressing and my characters flawed. Why not? These are fictional people, so it's not like I, or any real person I know, is having to endure these horrible things myself. I like martial arts manga, but that doesn't mean I crave getting punched in the face. If anything, I am tired of the relentlessly cheerful aesthetic continually pushed on me in most media. And it's when characters really struggle and go through hell that it's most satisfying to see them succeed... or do they actually *deserve* to succeed, or are they actually so bad that you *want* to see them get their just desserts and suffer awfully? Sometimes I just don't know, and that's just fine.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Forme as a guy who's 24 I just never really was able to get into Seinen or Joesi because I don't feel that the criterion for something being adult is sex or graphic violence. The reason I like/love Shojo is in the titles I like there's a certain Idealism or innocence connected to it. where the point of Seinen or Joesi seems to be a stripping that away (this is just my impression) and replacing it with a cynical world view.

Or making it seem like men and women rutting like brute beasts is somehow more adult and mature then"true love" between people.
I don't mind a mature exploration of issues that apply to older people or people my age a title like Iguana no musume comes to mind. but to package something like Tramps Like Us as some how more adult is I feel insulting.

The idea that some how the loss of sexual innocence is somehow the pathway to adulthood is unkind and a disservice to the readers but if that's what they want fine have at it.

But I digress I just don't feel that to write a truly mature Manga that you need to have a bunch of sex or violence in it it's almost like "fifteening" it for the 20+ crowd. Well those are my thoughts on it take it for what it's worth
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to this column, I now have volumes 1 of Monster Collection and Happy Mania heading my way. My credit card hates you, while the part of me that has zero willpower is completely excited about this.
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Thanks to this column, I now have volumes 1 of Monster Collection and Happy Mania heading my way. My credit card hates you, while the part of me that has zero willpower is completely excited about this.

I bought all of Monster Collection at AX (5 books for $20!! WOO) and I just finished it a day ago. Anime cry SO GOOD. I'm so happy I knew about it thanks to Jason. It's too bad it was so obscure, the manga would have made a fantastic late 90s fantasy OAV in the vein of "Fam & Irie" The world needs more from Sei Itoh.

I don't have a lot of experience with josei type stuff.. judging from some of the more negative comments here, I may also have a problem with finding the characters too annoying, but I'd like to give it a chance. The only shojo I've really gotten into in my limited manga past are ones with a supernatural bent (Fruits Basket, PSME), so I am curious to also hear about really good realistic stories as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

I bought all of Monster Collection at AX (5 books for $20!! WOO) and I just finished it a day ago. Anime cry SO GOOD. I'm so happy I knew about it thanks to Jason. It's too bad it was so obscure, the manga would have made a fantastic late 90s fantasy OAV in the vein of "Fam & Irie" The world needs more from Sei Itoh.

I don't have a lot of experience with josei type stuff.. judging from some of the more negative comments here, I may also have a problem with finding the characters too annoying, but I'd like to give it a chance. The only shojo I've really gotten into in my limited manga past are ones with a supernatural bent (Fruits Basket, PSME), so I am curious to also hear about really good realistic stories as well.

Oh, lucky! It sounds like the booth where I got a bunch of Eroica manga for cheap, but I forgot to look for Monster Collection. Maybe Comic Con will have some cheap volumes.

I, too, have been looking for josei manga lately. I have Suppli on order (I think Deb Aoki recommended this on Twitter). Happy Mania, I have v. 1-2 on order. I'm reading Butterflies, Flowers already and find it entertaining, but am not 100% sure that's what I'm looking for yet. I like it, but don't love it. Paradise Kiss and NANA, I do love (I don't know if that's josei, exactly, seems kind of borderline between shojo and josei).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3