• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Happy Mania

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Forme as a guy who's 24 I just never really was able to get into Seinen or Joesi because I don't feel that the criterion for something being adult is sex or graphic violence. The reason I like/love Shojo is in the titles I like there's a certain Idealism or innocence connected to it. where the point of Seinen or Joesi seems to be a stripping that away (this is just my impression) and replacing it with a cynical world view.

Or making it seem like men and women rutting like brute beasts is somehow more adult and mature then"true love" between people.
I don't mind a mature exploration of issues that apply to older people or people my age a title like Iguana no musume comes to mind. but to package something like Tramps Like Us as some how more adult is I feel insulting.

The idea that some how the loss of sexual innocence is somehow the pathway to adulthood is unkind and a disservice to the readers but if that's what they want fine have at it.

But I digress I just don't feel that to write a truly mature Manga that you need to have a bunch of sex or violence in it it's almost like "fifteening" it for the 20+ crowd. Well those are my thoughts on it take it for what it's worth

If you think josei and seinen manga are mostly about sex, you've been reading the wrong titles. Twin Spica, a coming of age story about a girl who wants to be an astronaut, is a seinen manga. Yotsuba&! is considered a seinen manga. Everything on www.sigikki.com is seinen. Monster, 20th Century Boys and Pluto are also seinen manga. As for josei, there's With the Light, about a mother and her autistic son. Or Bunny Drop, Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile...

But honestly, I don't see what's wrong with putting some sex in manga for a mature audience, as long as it's not just sex for the sake of sex.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Forme as a guy who's 24 I just never really was able to get into Seinen or Joesi because I don't feel that the criterion for something being adult is sex or graphic violence.

Do you also avoid other media aimed at adults, like novels or movies on the assumption that they're all doused in sex and violence? There are plenty of seinen and josei titles that don't rely on tits and bloodshed (just as there are plenty of adult-orientated novels and movies that have other things to talk about) - surely it makes more sense to search out the genres or the individual authors and titles that might appeal to you rather than dismissing entire demographic markets. Limiting yourself exclusively to comics aimed at adolescents just seems pointlessly self-restrictive.

kyokun703 wrote:
I, too, have been looking for josei manga lately. I have Suppli on order (I think Deb Aoki recommended this on Twitter). Happy Mania, I have v. 1-2 on order. I'm reading Butterflies, Flowers already and find it entertaining, but am not 100% sure that's what I'm looking for yet. I like it, but don't love it. Paradise Kiss and NANA, I do love (I don't know if that's josei, exactly, seems kind of borderline between shojo and josei).

Love Song by Keiko Nishi and All My Darling Daughters by Fumi Yoshinaga are both exceptional (and they're both single-volume works so you don't have much to lose by trying them).

And if you're a fan of NANA and Butterflies, Flowers then Tramps Like Us by Yayoi Ogawa is also easy to recommend.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Tamaria"]
Parsifal24 wrote:

But honestly, I don't see what's wrong with putting some sex in manga for a mature audience, as long as it's not just sex for the sake of sex.

It all really depends I mean there are exceptions to every rule it's just and maybe this got lost somewhere is I dont see why promiscuous or overt sexuality is a sigin of a "mature" work.

Sure if it's not gratuitous I can understand that but there's so many other ways to show case the maturity of a work. Something like Bunny Drop you mentioned is a good example or Ode to Kirihito as another one. I just don't think explicit sex makes a work mature in a meaningful sense or that's the main reason it could be considered mature.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Moomintroll"]
Parsifal24 wrote:
Forme as a guy who's 24 I just never really was able to get into Seinen or Joesi because I don't feel that the criterion for something being adult is sex or graphic violence.

Limiting yourself exclusively to comics aimed at adolescents just seems pointlessly self-restrictive.

Oh I do realize I did over generalize (sorry) there are some Seinen titles I like (Azumanga Daioh, Ai Yori Ashi, Chobits). I just don't get how explicit sexual content makes something "mature" is all. My tastes just run more in the line of Shjo Manga more akin to something like Candy Candy, Fruits Basket or Kimi ni Todoke then most Joesi or Seinen titles I just prefer them it's a personal preference nothing more nothing less.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

kyokun703 wrote:
I, too, have been looking for josei manga lately. I have Suppli on order (I think Deb Aoki recommended this on Twitter). Happy Mania, I have v. 1-2 on order. I'm reading Butterflies, Flowers already and find it entertaining, but am not 100% sure that's what I'm looking for yet. I like it, but don't love it. Paradise Kiss and NANA, I do love (I don't know if that's josei, exactly, seems kind of borderline between shojo and josei).

Love Song by Keiko Nishi and All My Darling Daughters by Fumi Yoshinaga are both exceptional (and they're both single-volume works so you don't have much to lose by trying them).

And if you're a fan of NANA and Butterflies, Flowers then Tramps Like Us by Yayoi Ogawa is also easy to recommend.

Sigh... did you not read how my credit card is already mad at me, and I really shouldn't be buying any more manga?

*adds things to "buy" list*

(I already have the Yoshinaga manga; I love her stuff, but the others I have not read)

(thank you)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It all really depends I mean there are exceptions to every rule it's just and maybe this got lost somewhere is I don't see why promiscuous or overt sexuality is a sigin of a "mature" work.

I think you're reading too much into it. Sex is something many adults do and enjoy, so it's not unreasonable to put some in a manga writtin for those adults.

For instance, the sex in Nana isn't there to make the reader go "Omigod, there's like sex in it, this is so edgy and mature!". It's there because sex is part of the (very screwed up) relationships the characters are in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3