• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beefdomburi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I´ve seen the show from the flake. But that was more than 10 years ago, so don´t remember the name. I liked because the protagonist had a flying skateboard (I hadn´t seen Back from the future 2 yet).

It was one of the many robot OVA from the nineties that were forgotten and shall remain so.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Speaking as an avowed Angel Cop enthusiast, it's always been my take that the stupendously nationalistic / anti-American / anti-Semitic content of the script were less to do with Ichiro Itano and more to do with his longtime collaborator Shou Aikawa, whose works often tend to include something completely crazy on that level. He's pretty much been given a retroactive pass for this stuff due to having worked on this relatively little-known series called *ahem* Fullmetal Alchemist, but I firmly believe Ichiro Itano's interests lie primarily in motorcycles, jet planes, guns, missile swarms, and bloodshed. This was still not enough to make me watch through all of Blassreiter...yet.

It's interesting that Gunsmith Cats is generally praised while Mad Bull is near-universally panned, since the reason cited was the level of visual accuracy in depicting Chicago even though the characters and events were positively outlandish. Yet the same is true for Mad Bull with regards to its visual depiction of New York City. The fascinating thing about the works of Kazuo Koike is that the artists he collaborates with all have a knack for putting in heavy-duty research from a visual standpoint. Mad Bull looks like 1980s New York, Offered's depiction of the inside hallways of MIT is 100% spot-on, and the worlds of Lone Wolf and Cub/Samurai Executioner/Path of the Assassin look exactly like how you'd expect feudal Japan to. It's the events that unfold which shatter the illusion. The real streets of NYC are not routinely terrorized by Chinese tanks, Count Dracula, wheelchair-bound cyborg Latino drug dealers, or the Predator (thus forcing the NYPD to fight back using the power loader from Aliens). You can't buy canned coffee from a vending machine, and they certainly can't double as grenades no matter what elderly diabetics do to them.

And it's not that Gunsmith Cats isn't just about as insane on the plot and violence/dismemberment metrics. After all, you're not a true Kenichi Sonoda villain unless you lose a limb and then replace it with a firearm. Yet somehow, my love for Gunsmith Cats and Kenichi Sonoda in general has greatly diminished over the years, as the release of the Omnibus editions managed to switch on a light bulb in my head. Suddenly, it became more apparent that while Kenichi Sonoda digs cars, guns, and robots...what he's MAINLY into is naked underage girls. Sad Hmm, maybe THAT'S why Gunsmith Cats gets all the kudos despite being very similar to Mad Bull 34...

Rakkan wrote:
What's it like to be so much of a fan boy that you delude yourself into thinking Mad Bull and GSC are similar in any fashion beyond being gun heavy action series' set in America?

It's pretty awesome, actually. Tell me, what's it like providing no argument to the contrary besides "no it isn't"? Because as Michael Palin so famously said, that isn't an argument. It's just contradiction.

Listen: both are targeted to the same seinen demographic. Both draw their primary influences from American action movies and television shows of the 1970s and 1980s. Both are quite high up there on on the violence and sexuality scale. Both feature very detailed depictions of locations and firearms while simultaneously being incredibly unrealistic. If you've only ever seen the respective anime titles for each, then I can see how you may be skeptical of the comparison, but this is not an arbitrary flight of fancy on my part.

I can see your point regarding Sonoda and the underage girls thing, but I think it's not so bad in GSC that it ruins it. There's a few bits that made me wince pretty hard in this respect, however overall I still enjoy GSC a lot and the manga for me still has some of the best artwork out of any action manga I've read. It's just one of those things if he made some of the characters a few years older and cut out some of the unnecessary shower scene's it would be fine. On the other hand considering all the other creepy things that Japan pumps out GSC really does not come as close as most other things they put out there.

At the same time though titles like Black Lagoon arguably do a better job eliminating the "otaku" fetishes that titles like GSC have and that's a good thing, but like I said I still think GSC holds up still pretty well by comparison.

Either way when it comes to action titles like GSC, Black Lagoon, or whatever, I take what I can get as by enlarge Japan really does not make a lot of these kinds of titles. Not to mention when they do I almost always certainly like it, and it was GSC and Riding Bean that made me a fan of this stuff to begin with.

Last edited by BeanBandit on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series made Americans look like dicks. I know the CIA has done some shady things in the past, but spoiler[I don't think the USA would fire a nuke at a friendly country like they almost do at the end of 2nd gig. That's just ridiculous.] Also renaming the USA the "American Empire" certainly suggests that we're trying to take over the world.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I always thought the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series made Americans look like dicks. I know the CIA has done some shady things in the past, but spoiler[I don't think the USA would fire a nuke at a friendly country like they almost do at the end of 2nd gig. That's just ridiculous.] Also renaming the USA the "American Empire" certainly suggests that we're trying to take over the world.

Um, alternate timeline + 20 years in the future after two more World Wars. America has split into multiple parts, one of which is a dictatorship with an actual empire in Latin America. And IIRC, wasn't the whole spoiler[nuking Japan thing] a setup by the JAPANESE villain? I'm almost done re-watching the series on my newly purchased DVDs, so I'll double-check then, but yeah, "America" in GitS:SAC is not our America.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that it really matters that it isn't our America. It still is America, and really it isn't an alternate timeline either. It's still Americans being portrayed in a poor light.
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I don't think that it really matters that it isn't our America. It still is America, and really it isn't an alternate timeline either. It's still Americans being portrayed in a poor light.

Actually, the 'American Empire' as it exists in GitS is an alliance between the east and west coasts of the United States, and then Russia. The closest thing to 'our' America that remains is Imperial Americana, which is basically all of the midwest, and which is kind of hanging out there minding its own business for the most part. So yeah, it kind of is a totally different thing.

And as vashfanatic said, spoiler[the nuke in 2nd GIG was set up by members of the Japanese government, taking advantage of their corrupt contacts on the Amerisoviet side of things.] Basically, GitS: SAC takes the stance that politicians in general are dicks, regardless of nationality Razz
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

1) Yeah, it IS an alternate, because it's following the manga, which was written in the 1980s and waaaay overestimated the rate of cybernetic research; the Major would be getting her full-cyborg body right about now according to GitS:SAC's timeline.

2) If you somehow think real-life America comes off badly, what about Japan in that series? They're closer to "real" Japan than the "American Empire," and everyone in the Japanese government is corrupt, incompetent, a puppet, or outright evil.

View the whole series as Oshii's "what if?" on the alliance between Japan and America, recalling that he remembers being a student in the 60s when America was pressuring Japan to amend Article 9 (he was involved with the student group that took over the Diet building to protest any changes).
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of negative protrayals of America, how about Blood+? The American government was EVIL. spoiler[They wanted to use the Chiropterans to serve as a controlled artificial enemy to give the people something to rally against and preserve America's image as the defenders of justice and liberty. Two politicians were even based off of Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice.] Laughing I was caught between laughing and rolling my eyes several times while I was watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Speaking of negative protrayals of America, how about Blood+? The American government was EVIL. spoiler[They wanted to use the Chiropterans to serve as a controlled artificial enemy to give the people something to rally against and preserve America's image as the defenders of justice and liberty. Two politicians were even based off of Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice.] Laughing I was caught between laughing and rolling my eyes several times while I was watching.

Or what about the dufus clearly-Bush president at the end of Speed Grapher?

Honestly, in anime overall, Americans citizens can be portrayed positively, but our government? Our government and especially our military is always evil. Though as an American there are days I sometimes agree with that...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I've always tried to figure out if Josh Whedan watches any anime because I do see some things in his stuff that seems like this or that title, but then he also has his share of western comics in there. However, I don't really care for him overall for certain reasons so I don't particularly seek out his interviews, though I do have several seasons of Angel & Buffy.

As for positive American images-we come off pretty well in Kaleido Star. FMP aren't there good Americans? Every time a new city pops up in an anime we see the household joke is "there is nothing in America outside of New York or San Francisco" Kaleido Star added San Diego. Cromartie had Vegas. Baccano hit a few others. Never paid attention to other countries. Might be just as bad. Do they show England outside of London? Paris, France? How about the Scandinavian Countries? Do they exist in Anime World? I know in Anime/Manga World Japan is about the size of China. EVERYTHING happens in Japan.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
How about the Scandinavian Countries?

VINLAND SAGA!!!!! The only manga to take place partially in Iceland!

Other places in anime and manga beyond what you mentioned (not counting outer space, postapocalyptic futures, and imaginary places):
Black Lagoon: Southeast Asia
Blood+: Vietnam, Russia, rural France
Flag: Nepal (under the guise of Uddaniya)
Gunslinger Girl: Italy
Master Keaton: every-freaking-where
Michiko & Hatchin: Brazil (never named, but you know it is)
Monster: Germany, Czech Republic
Pluto: Germany again (Urasawa likes Germany)
probably more, got tired of looking through my list

But yeah, mostly in Japan, if it takes place anywhere real. Then again, look at American TV/movies, or the new Doctor Who. Everybody makes their own nation the center of the world.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
whenever Rumiko Takahashi craps out a new manga series, well duh, you'll see that one licensed in a heartbeat.
I must be tired being on the North end of a 12 hour shift, but I pissed myself reading that. I just hope Ms. Takahashi doesn't read it. Wink Laughing
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
From article
Quote:
What is it exactly that makes a foreign company decide weather or not to localize a manga?
...there are some series that seem to have been completely overlooked, remaining published only in their native Japanese.

I have also wondered about this.
Is it because (like Mr. Anwserman said) it's safer pumping out volumes of already popular manga titles then risking titles that are refreshingly original, artistically different, and (dare I say it) something I ACTUALLY want to read?!!

Americans being portrayed badly in anime? :rolls eyes: Please!
How about Asians, Africans, Blacks, (some) Europeans, Non-Christan, Non-Blue eyed, non-Blonde haired, non-Heterosexual, anti-Democracy, and basically everyone who isn't "American enough" being portrayed in US pop culture right now? Confused

Plus I agree with Vashfanatic who wrote:
Quote:
Then again, look at American TV/movies, or the new Doctor Who. Everybody makes their own nation the center of the world.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Concerning Gunsmith Cats: the reason that the anime version offered such a realistic portrayal of Chicago is because the principle production staff actually visited Chicago, toured it (including a police station), and made reference sketches on the spot that later served as the foundations for the background artistry. This is all described in detail on the "making of" Extra on the American DVD release.

For most inaccurate portrayal, how about Miami Guns and its notion that mountains exist somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Miami? Or for one of the most amusing misinterpretations, Excel Saga episode 17. (Mafia guys dealing in black market counterfeit anime cels???)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Americans being portrayed badly in anime? :rolls eyes: Please!
How about Asians, Africans, Blacks, (some) Europeans, Non-Christan, Non-Blue eyed, non-Blonde haired, non-Heterosexual, anti-Democracy, and basically everyone who isn't "American enough" being portrayed in US pop culture right now? Confused

What, you mean the Water Tribe wasn't full of pale white people? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6